Rate Thread
#286145 Jun 17th, 2009 at 08:07 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
I am looking for some new easy mostly shade some sun perrenials for a few areas.
Gets a few hours of morning sun but the rest is shady. Something not really tall this is not pink! Going with a color theme. I like things that have interesting leaves for when the blooms leave. OK Garden experts, DAzzle me! I will try anything! clap

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #286200 Jun 17th, 2009 at 04:45 PM
mrw Offline
You can never go wrong with hostas, there are lots of varieties that do well in the shade, and I have some that have grown huge in the sun! I also like sedum, they grow easily and we have very large ones. Also they are easy to propegate.

wildwoman
mrw #286212 Jun 17th, 2009 at 07:46 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
huechera - tons of different color variation. the leaves are the thing with them as the flowers are very, very, very tiny.

colors available range from various shades of green (very light to very dark) and into purples and even some that are so dark they're black. there are some that are silverish/whitish as well.

japanese painted ferns also come in a variety of colorations.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #286226 Jun 18th, 2009 at 03:58 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
I love Hostas, but I have so many.. I was looking for a green coral bell variety, that has almost salmon pink flowers on its long stem. very pretty, but does not go where I want to plant, staying away from pinks in this area. More purple and white and more greens. The things you described sound very interesting Jocelyn. Does it have a common name? I am going to a bi nursery today to do some hunting.
Thanks guys. I get so overwhelmed with all the choices. egad

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #286400 Jun 19th, 2009 at 01:13 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
heuchera...ladies slipper, I think, could be wrong. I like standard ajuga, but I believe it isn't hardy in your zone. I wish I could remember all the hardiness info on perrenials. some of the compact daylillies bloom over a long period. Liriope (monkeygrass) has attractive blossoms, and there is a variegated variety which spreads slower and has excellent foliage. I have to have the annual Impatiens in my shade garden, it's outstanding, and begonias are nice. Some perrenials are very short season bloomers, bleeding heart, columbine, and others are great for a short while. Are you in zone 5?

dave
peppereater #286432 Jun 19th, 2009 at 04:44 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I am not a fan of the monkey grass. Got it, can' get rid of it and it does serve a purpose of preventing soil erosion, but don't like it.

In 1 house I lived in the impatients were beautiful. They got as big as shrubs and reseeded and returned every year. You might want to try a few and see if you have the right conditions for those. Begonias can be lovely too - under the correct conditions.

Doesn't astilbe grow well in your area and return. The red is a beautiful color.

Ditchy #287077 Jun 24th, 2009 at 07:20 PM
Will ferns fit in your scheme?

I think they, you know, add a refining touch to any shady landscape, like mine here:

[Linked Image]
Maidenhair Fern adiantum pedatum

neko nomad #287081 Jun 24th, 2009 at 08:15 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
heuchera = coral bells. i have two different types that have purple color to the leaves. the one variety, some 'wine something-or-other' is the name, has tiny pink flowers. the other one i just got - just planted it yesterday, actually. it has a couple flower spikes going, so i'll let you know what color the flowers are. that one has a light burgundy/purple tone on top of the green on the upper side of the leaves and the underside is purplish. i don't have the name handy - i'll update later, if i remember to, lol.

the japanese painted fern doesn't have a nickname that i'm aware of. there's a solid green with a hint of silvery and there is one that green/strong white color and another that is green/strong purple color. probably other color variations now, as well. it was about 5 years ago when i checked into them.

lily of the valley - can be invasive though.

heliobore (sp?) is another one that likes shade.

daylily can deal with a fair amount of shade and they'll grow almost anywhere.

you could also do columbine. there are annual types and perennial types.

there's a perennial type of either impatiens or begonia. i can't remember which though. impatiens, maybe? or i might be thinking of something else entirely. something that is usally annual...

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image