Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27961 Apr 20th, 2007 at 08:31 PM
denpan Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. I am new to this forum and to any type of gardening. I am hoping to do something with a very bare and large backyard but am hopelessly lost. I live the Portland Oregon area and have a back ayrd that gets full sun. it is very large and I would like to plant something to kind of cover some ugly fencing all around the 2 sides. When I reveiwng hedges/screens it seems like they all need alot of pruning, get really wide 3 or more feet or really tall 15 feet or more. Does nayone have a good suggestion on something that would get no taller than about 10 feet, need some but not frequent pruning won't intefere with the fence but getting too wide and can handle full sun. All help/advice and input would be soooo appreciated as I want my 1st project to turn out well so I feel capable of tackling others.

denpan #28037 Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:01 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Do you want it to be evergreen? I have rose of Sharon as my border plants but they are not evergreen. It is really pretty late summer.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #28068 Apr 21st, 2007 at 05:21 AM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Denpan,
Hello and Welcome Aboard...
We're very glad you found us..
Ther'es lot's to do and things to keep you
busy thru everrrrry season here..

but just wanted to let you know I was going
to move your post into Landscaping Section..
I think you'll get some responses in there, better..

*but dont' forget to come back to the Welcoming
Section and say hello to everyone...

P.S. We have several verrrrrrrrrrry nice members from
Oregon here.. grin flwr thumbup

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Quince is nice, I had it in Port Orchard Washington. It has long thorns though and it will travel over time. But it also has an early spring flower and a fruit so it's pretty cool if you don't have childen that might get hurt.

You might want to try some vines although most go bare during the colder months.

Bamboo can be a very nice screen as long as you get the clumping kind not the running kind. You have to be careful about that. This is very easy care and requires no pruning at all unless you want to.

Or you might want to try a dwarf fruit tree in at least one area of the fence and then prune it to stay against the fence. It is a really great look in my opinion. But it's just an opinion. And it would be bare of foliage during the cold months so that is something to consider.

Rhoddies are gorgeous but they will definitely get wider than 3 feet over time and they won't reach 10 feet in height.

Serviceberry 8 to 15 feet tall slow grower flowers and fruit.

Dogwood, Variegated Redtwig This bush looses it's leaves in the winter but has red branches so that it forms a fan like shape that adds winter interest to the garden. It only needs pruning once every year.

Buttercup Winterhazel This is nice for winter interest.

I guess you can tell that I like specimen gardens. Where there is alittle bit of a lot of different things rather than a bunch of one thing. That way there is always something blooming. So I can enjoy my garden all year long.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image