Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
cm33414 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here...I am so glad to have found this wonderful forum!

My Desert rose has some stuff on it that doesn't "look right" to me. Here are a few pictures - I hope they're clear...if not let me know and I'll make them bigger.

Can anyone tell me what it is and how I can take care of it?

Thanks so much in advance, I hope this is fixable...

CM33414

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Those pics are too small for me to see details...the fruit looks like pomegranite to me, and I'm not familiar with the name "desert rose."
Try googling "punica granatum" and see if that is what you have.
Your pics look like the plant is healthy, but can you post them larger?

dave
cm33414 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Dave...

It's definitely an Adenum Obessum (aka Desert rose).

Here are some bigger pictures...I hope you can tell what this is!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

CM33414

cm33414 Offline OP
OP Offline
Nobody? tears

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
some one will be around soo who can tell you. don't give up.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think I would use an insecticidal soap on that. It looks a little more like webs to me than a fungal growth.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the angles aren't the best to get a good view. the white stuff looks like mealy bugs, though. treat with q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol and then touch them with the wet swab. dip a new one and rub it up/down the area and make sure to get in the crevices where the leaves attach to the stalk. and then do the upper and lower sides of the leaves. treat again in 10-14 days (you just can't get all the eggs on the first go-round).

a better shot of the under side of the leaves would be good - that might be a fungal thing or aphids or spidermites and the rubbing alcohol won't do a thing for any of them.

can you post pics straight on (not from above) of the white stuff as well as the under sides of the leaves that are affected?

Zone 6b
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I think there's more than one thing going on. I'm guessing mealy bug, too, for the white stuff, but the dark blotches look like what happens with aphids...aphids secrete honeydew, which tends to cause dark mold to form. I'm referring to pic #2. There is also what looks to me like active aphids, in pic 4, on the leaves' undersides.
I'd go with insecticidal soap or else the light oil used to give gloss to houseplants, and joclyn has a point about re-applying later. One more thing that would be very helpful would be a houseplant spray with Pyrethrin, the Safer brand is a good choice. Any of the mentioned treatments stands a good chance of working, at least to knock the numbers way down, and the second or successive treaments could be any one of the mentioned treatments.

dave
cm33414 Offline OP
OP Offline
I am so glad you guys are willing to help me!

I will read all your replies more carefully later - but first I wanted to update the photos, see if these are any clearer as far as showing you what's going on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did I say THANKS already?

CM

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the white fluff stuff is definitely mealy bugs. i do believe the other issue is aphids, as well. and the resulting fungus.

the rubbing alcohol for the mealy bugs and it'll also chase away the aphids, too. they may come back. they're in their thing right now and should naturally go away in a couple weeks. still, there's no need to allow the plant to become damaged.

usually for aphids, i just squirt with the hose to dislodge them...daily if needed and then they're done in a couple weeks.

i'd do the q-tip bit with the r-a for the mealy bugs and then squirt the aphids off (bring the plant outside if it's not there already). check daily for returned aphids and then squirt again as needed. newly hatched mealies would be visible in 7-10 days.

any other plants in close vicinity also need to be looked at and treated if they are also infested.

i'd use the r-a to wipe away the fungus.

Zone 6b
cm33414 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - I did the q-tip with the r-a...that was hard work! Every time I though I got all the leaves, I would turn a leaf around and find more bugs. Yuck.

I was afraid to do the r-a on the flowers, I'm thinking the alcohol will hurt them. I'm sure that's a silly thought, since the BUGS are hurting them too...

I will go and squirt off with water now...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image