Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#285426 Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:04 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been trying to establish some ferns under my overhang on the northside. 2 of them have been there for a couple of years and doing well so I added a couple more last year and also threw in some Day lilies into the flower bed because I had too many in my side bed. This year they've all come up but there is a baby fern coming up right dab in the middle of the lilies. Should I leave it, what do you suggest or should I try to transplant it to another area? How do you go about doing that? I love my ferns and don't want to lose it.

DaisyM #285440 Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:50 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If it is tightly embedded into a day lily clump you may be able to dig around and loosen it up enough to get that baby fern out. At least this is what I would do.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #285447 Jun 11th, 2009 at 08:19 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Jonni. It's right in the middle of the day lily and appears to be very tight in there? I will check tomorrow. Just curious, is the little fern joined to the parent plant by a runner? If so do I cut it from the parent plant? Sorry I never dealt with this before?

DaisyM #285449 Jun 11th, 2009 at 08:57 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If it is a regular fern it is not joined by a runner. It would be a separate plantlet. Ferns reproduce by spores rather than seeds. You could wait until fall to separate the day lilies and the little plant. That would be the normal time to divide your day lilies anyway.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #285646 Jun 13th, 2009 at 03:07 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Around here our spring is so late and stuff is just starting to come out. I removed it guys...very carefully but it did have quite a root and it didn't look like a young one. I'm pretty sure it was joined to the parent plant. I also found another little one which buried itself right by the wall and was difficult to remove. Again it was joined to a very strong root which looked part of the parent plant. I severed the root in the middle and hope all will survive. I looked today and one does look a little under the weather. That's the one that I had trouble removing from the wall. The other one looks great.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image