Rate Thread
#285043 Jun 9th, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Under the heading "I know I''m not supposed to be doing this now, but I am anyway" I have a challenge & need advise.

I have a blue-million naked lady (Amaryllis belladonna) bulbs that I dug up yesterday. I had good reason. Now, IF we were going to be living here next year, I would figure out where to put them in the garden (although this would have been hard), and I still may plant some & I'll expect them to bloom later. BUT, as I have mentioned every chance I get, flwr we are moving. clap And so, I want to take them with me.

How should I clean and store these bulbs? I know I know. Not the right time of year, but this is the situation. Should I plunk them in the ground somewhere temporarily & let them complete this year's cycle? Or clean them and put them in a cool part of the basement? Or...?

I am clueless. Help is much appreciated. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #285047 Jun 9th, 2009 at 11:58 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I would say to keep it growing if it's actively growing - you might want to put it in a pot to continue growing so you can carry it over to your new house. If you try to store it and it's still growing, it might not bloom next time. They need their current leaves to build up their energy store to bloom.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #285057 Jun 9th, 2009 at 01:05 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Right, this would make sense for something like a daffodil. But here's the thing. It's already done storing for this year! Teh foliage comes up at about the same time as daffodils. And now the foliage is gone, but it won't bloom until late this July or early August. At that time it will send up just a single flower stalk, which has a few flowers-- the "naked" lady! (Pretty cool, which is why I want to take them.)

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #285088 Jun 9th, 2009 at 05:44 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
marica, you can go ahead and "plant" them in a container, but much more crowded than you would otherwise. and plant something over the top of them, some kind of shallow rooted annual. that is more so that you water them like they need it than anything else. when i was storing mine, i literally put them with just barely a layer of soil between each one. they did fine.

they will be fine in the container, and might even bloom in it if you don't get them in the ground when you get to ms.

mine (crimson red) don't bloom until september around here.

also, you have a pm, (the flashing envelope next to "my stuff" at the top of the page).

#285089 Jun 9th, 2009 at 05:53 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I dig up bulbs and plants when I can get them for free, and on a chance last year i got to dig up (probably 200) naked lady bulbs, now sice I don't get to pick and choose when I dig and when I plant and rarley do the 2 ever match up on the same day. I dug my naked ladies up and just spread some out to dry, others I covered with a little dirt, and yes some I actually planted, anyway it didn't seem to matter, they all did just fine, I still have some in bags I have not planted yet and they are fine too

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #285104 Jun 9th, 2009 at 06:28 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Thank you all!

There was hardly any foliage left on them & I pulled off what there was (worried about fungal issues). I let them dry for a day in the sun, then pitched them in a big tub (the kind you can get at the grocery store for $5.99, which had big cracks in the bottom) and moved them to the basement. The tub is about 3/4 full-- so I'm guessing as many as suzydaze. Tomorrow I'll split them into two buckets (with drainage) throw some dirt on them, top it off with some of that cute little ground cover sedum (which I use as a living mulch-- like an annual, JM, it tells me when things are too dry), put them outside & then... off to Mississippi.

Thanks again. I knew how to get started, just not how to complete the project. You're advise was exactly want I needed!

[Linked Image]

Marica #285328 Jun 11th, 2009 at 09:52 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Just guessing, but I'm pretty sure they would prefer dry soil, and remain dormant. Just the least bit of water to keep the soil from being bone dry, and the sedum should tolerate that as well, but protect the pots from noon sun or afternoon sun. That, or store them in their containers in a basement if you can.
I'm not familiar with anything that attacks amaryllis, besides simply rotting if stored too wet.
Let me simplify here, you can hardly go wrong, planting now or storing the tubers. thumbup

dave
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Haha, on re-reading the whole thread, I see I didn't add anything new, whatever is most convenient, really, will get the job done, whether you store them or force them.

dave
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Thanks, Dave! I think I'm going to have to devote 1/2 my basement to 'plant storage'! If it's in the ground, it belongs to the property. If I dig it up-- it's mine! Lots of digging to get done!!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image