Rate Thread
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Refrigerators which one is best to buy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need help selecting a refrigerator >.....
What is your best choice?
What I had in mind was, French doors with freezer on one side/regular on the other..
Stainless steel front.

I looked at Frigidaire
wholepool
kitchen aid
Maytag
LG..............what is that ?
GE.......i read online is awful.

Kenmore

Any advice is appreciated..

They say one year warranty is all on any.
Bottom freezer is more pricey.

I hate the solid door ..

thanks
dodge is in need of advice on them .Any

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I agree - no GE. (sounds like a chant, dosn't it?) he he

I'd personally go with the brushed stainless steel. the smooth stainless is a royal pain to keep clean looking! you have to use that stainless polish on it and that stuff is greasy and depending on the humidity the polish is a bear to get on evenly. the brushed stainless can be polished or just cleaned with a multisurface cleaner.

...that's about all I know about refridgerators.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tHANKS CRICKET
How do I know which is which ?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I don't know what brand is better but we have a Whirlpool that works good. We have the side-by-side type and I don't know if I would get it again. The freezer area seems so cramped. If you put bigger items in it such a frozen pizza you have to put it in there at an angle and it doesn't fit well. That is just my opinion. Maybe you will love it!!

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I understand.

I have a full size freezer in the basement ..

I am gettin smarter here..

Keep the ideas coming..

Thanks plantqueen..

bop

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
tHANKS CRICKET
How do I know which is which ?

b

I'm guessing it should say on there if it's brushed stainless or not? I don't know, I haven't been fridge shopping in a very long time. (thank goodness)
the brushed is slightly textured though, whereas the straight stainless is smooth as a baby's patootey.
(I do house cleaning, dodge, and when I see a stainless steel fridge that is not brushed stainless I just cringe cause I know it will take forever to clean and it may or mayNOT look any better when I finish than when I started. and some that have water dispensers and water drips out on the stainless it can make a mark that will never come off.)

Cricket

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
oh and I have a side by side too. and I agree with the pizza box thing! it stinks when you want a quick carefree supper so you order pizza. you just wanna eat and throw the leftovers, box and all, into the fridge and the box won't fit. sometimes you can jam it in sideways and nothing will fall out?

Cricket

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
We have four fridges. One-- naturally the one in the kitchen-- is side-by-side & I HATE it. It came with the house & it's staying with the house.

Nothing fits in it, and it's fairly large. Now, mind you, we do a LOT of home cooking, so maybe Dodge, this is different for you. But not only doesn't a pizza box fit in, the space between the shelves (and there are only 4 shelves & two crispers) is so small that an open bottle of wine has to get crammed in sideways. We have a big giant pot for making gumbo, and for making stocks & stuff. And every time we use it, we have to take the thing down to the basement b/c it doesn't fit. And thinking of crispers, some times a big stalk of celery doesn't even fit in.

But ultimately, you have to think of how you use it. Is it pretty much empty by the time you go to the store? Or do you 'store' stuff in it? If storing, I'd definitely go with a top/bottom model. My mother-in-law has a freezer on the bottom, and I like that. Lots of space, plus you can actually see what's in it.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My frigedaire is a good one.

All I can say is stay away from a kenmore. We had one foe 20+ years. from day one it was trouble--N the first week we knew it was no good but they had our money and they were done---after dealing with it for aobut 20 years Rod finally found out it had a defective timer. reputabel companhy would of seen that in the beginning and taken care of it for us.

And I agree aobut the smooth stainless steel finish my couisn has one ans she is constantly cleaning it--she says it never looks clean.

And if I understand you, you want a side by side??? I have ione & love it--but it does not have a lot of space for the holidays---otherwise it is great.

BUT if you meant one with the freezer at the bottom, make sure the door has a suction closing to it--so that when you have the freezer door just about closed it sucks it the rest of the way and is then tightly closed.

--One of my friends has a GE with a borttom freezer that is constantly being left open. She always has water on the floor from melting ice.

I saw a Maytag that I wanted when I was appliance shopping. It had french doors on the top and a bottom freezer. This refrigerator bottom had that suction thing and I loved it. The top had a meat drawer the full width of the refrigerator and would accomodate a large meat or cheese tray. I didnt get it because its price was 1500.00. egad

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've always had Whirlpool appliances and have never had a problem. One time I had a side by side like you mentioned dodge and I didn't like it. The freezer side seemed narrow.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks all of you.

I miss quoted on the doors.. I meant the side by side I like .
Dont care for the bottom freezer.........

Oh how I hate white an greasy hands from the garage.. I am leaning to black like my stove dish washer and Microwave.. Cleans easy.. I am sick of whipping.

I dont store large stuff in my ref. We have a basement freezer .. FOr years.
Pizza can go there......Ice cream .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks all of you.

I miss quoted on the doors.. I meant the side by side I like .
Dont care for the bottom freezer.........

I dont store large stuff in my ref. We have a basement freezer .. FOr years.
Pizza can go there......Ice cream .b

'Yes Dodge I was going to say that about a second freezer. IF one has another freezer like the 2 of us do, you do not need a wide freezer on your refrigerator. And barb, I find my side by side frezer a good thing--there are shelves and with those you can easier seperate what you do want to keep in the "kitchen" freezer, making it easier to see and get at.

BUT Barb it is not so easy to store, say a whole 20+ pound turkey carcus-(on a serving tray of course)- in during the holidays. I have done it, BUT it is not a walk in the park. I wanted to have a second refrigerator to use during the holidays BUT Rod would have none of that. rolz

Although I will say that there are different sized side by sides. My DD had a larger one than I do now--it was much more roomy-(wider-).--so when shopping for a side by side, if that is what you decide to do, just know there are different sizes--and keep in mind the holidays & such when deciding what size you need.

good luck

________

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Carol,

I was considering the 26 cubic foot one . We have the space ,
The freezer is the only one I ever had.
My 2nd refrig is one son gave me out of his home when he moved in . He had a new one and this was an ugly yellow....i said no way is it coming upstairs.

I keep it stocked with Soda and jellies and stuff I don't have room for upstairs.
Ours is pretty full. It is only 19 cubic ft.
Basement one is smaller than that.Cheap junky one.

I put lots of soda there cause mostly son drinks that .

Thanks everyone for all the nice hints and things to watch for .. Amazing what I have learned here tonite.
They were lying to me at the stores about the stuff.

I just read on here that GE is number one for problems.
Another site voted it number one for favorites>LOL

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
mrw Offline
Hello Dodge,
I have a whirlpool side by side and have been very satisfied with it. The finish is called "satina". It looks like stainless but does NOT show any fingerprints. It is really great and looks good all the time. My mother in law has a regular stainless one and no matter how you clean it, it never looks good. You always see marks and fingerprints. Go with the satina, you won't be sorry. As for the pizza box issue, I never buy them so don't know if they will fit, but it holds tons of other stuff. Good luck and happy shopping.

wildwoman
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I do not know what size my side by side is, sorry.

as long as you have the room get the largest cubic foot size that will fit there, you will not be sorry. .AND since you have a second fridge there is nothing to worry about. I think you will be very happy--

but yes stay away from the GE and the kenmore, unless you buy the extended warrenty when the original warrenty expires. I think any of the others will be ok.--

PS: Dodge my side by side freezer has a pizza storage place in it, I bet a lot of them do now as this was not an 'extra'.---it only holds 1 at a time, but hey you can only eat one at a time anyway. :wink:

________

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks mrw/carol

I know the shelves are adjustable to any size on these.
Pizza isnt our favorite food at all.. If I had to store it in the frig., I would put it into styfoam plates and put it on the shelves.

I just wasnt wild about the look a like stainless.. maybe that is why my neighbor keeps wiping hers..LOl

I was trying to get away for the dirty look..My neighbor has her cooking kitchen in the basement .. The show kitchen upstairs.. No heavy eating upstairs.
Guests go down below......she just got a new piece added to the house all glass around the sides and stone like floors and never uses it .. Table chairs.

Just her there living ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
no the storage for the pizza is in the freezer--sorry to confuse you.--
I just brought it up because some one else mentioned it

someone here said go for the satin finish if you wanted stainless--read back a few posts she seemed very happy buit if you have the black finish that would look nice for your new refrigerator to match, HUH??

and I just looked my side by side-- is 26 cu feet --So Valarie's was bigger--

but the 26 is plenty for the 2 of us, and some to spare. You have the 2nd ice box, so that will cover you on any storage issues that you may have at the holidays or any time when there is extra people & food is around.

your going to show us a photo of the new Refrigerator when it arrives at your house right??? I for one would like to see it.

________

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I am taking my time..LOoking for the best offer.
Lowes charges for hauling.

Home depot ............doesnt but dont have my pick.

Boscovs Forgot to ask

Sears will match any price they say.........

Haul?

Maybe I should go in and wash the stainless steel to see what happens..LOL

Yes if I get one , I will showoff........
Probably want to remodel if I get new one..

daaaaaaaa

lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes if I get one , I will showoff........
Probably want to remodel if I get new one..
daaaaaaaalol

hey Barb, One excuse is as good as another----

________

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Dodge there is a difference between "side by side" and "French Doors".

In a side by side, the freezer is on one side and the refridgerator is on the other.

In a unit with French doors, BOTH doors open to a refridgerator and the freezer is down below in a drawer. The double opening of the doors allows you to put large flat items (serving trays, for instance) in the refridgerator part.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image