Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272614 Apr 5th, 2009 at 04:20 PM
Meg Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Ok, I've been a very neglectful gardener for 2 years or thereabouts.. and I decided today, after mowing some, to rip out some dead weeds that grew up the icky warped black plastic trellis (what was i thinking!?) around my pretty clematis flowers. I saw there was some greenery, and buds, and figured, try to show them a lil bit.. rip down this nasty stuff.. rip, rip, rip, rip, its all dead material, just comin off.. rip, rip, rip. oh sh*t. that, was not, a dead weed piece. that, was in fact, near the root of my plant, now ripped in half, removed from the rest of the plant. *cries*
sample pic..
[Linked Image]

the album with all the shots i attempted to take of it..
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v458/meg1970/broken%20clematis/

is there any hope for this pretty plant? i put it in like 3 or 4 years ago and it always has pretty flowers. tell me i can do something to help it, or that it will be ok..

[Linked Image]

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
Meg #272621 Apr 5th, 2009 at 04:46 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hey It Might just branch out better,, I don't know what Kind you had BUt every early spring I brake of pieces of My clematis and it started putting out new leaves and It's already Blooming,, the jack mandii Just bloomed the other day,, and the white ones have already bloomed and still blooming,, You might have done it a favor! and MAYBE you can put the piece you have in your hand in the picture back in the ground like a new plant and it will take root???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Meg Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
the problem i see with it is this.. it snapped, or ripped, in half, at the base of the plant. i can try to put the other half that shredded off into the ground, there's a LOT of plant on that piece.. and i'd hate to lose it all. i think the rest of the plant that is still rooted will be fine. yes, the bottom is ripped some, but for the most part, in tact, just has the tear on it. i took about 6 or 7 pics and linked the album if u wanna see what i'm tryin to explain. took a couple views of the snapped off piece, a shot of the one still in the ground, the entire thing on my house.. and then i laid the broken piece on the ground next to the part still rooted, and that's the last photo.

the pic of the trellis shows what's left of my plant after liberating it from the weeds that were all bushy all over it.. i dunno, morning glory, binding weed, whatever it is that grows wild here with the tiny blooms .. looks cute at first, then just.. takes over everything. you can already see it growing green along my outside wall, behind the trellis.. i just can't get rid of it. *sigh*

Last edited by Meg; Apr 6th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.

[Linked Image]

Meg #272718 Apr 6th, 2009 at 12:28 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Does this clematis bloom on old wood or does it only bloom on new wood? I think the plant will be ok. you may not have many blooms this year, but next year it will put new vines and leaves out. I used to have a Clematis that bloomed on the old wood, so after it was done blooming on the previous year's vines, I'd chop it all down to the ground and it would put up new vines and bloom again.

I couldn't really make out your pictures. Your camera focused on what was behind the room piece rather than on the root piece, so I couldn't really see what all was going on with the plant. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining root of the plant puts out new vine this year...there is plenty of spring left.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #272743 Apr 6th, 2009 at 04:14 PM
Meg Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
yea, i was having trouble getting the angle i wanted .. i haven't used my camera a whole lot lately. it seems to bloom on both the old and the new. i'm just goin to keep my fingers crossed that it does ok then. most of the base of the plant was intact, minus the tear.. just when it tore, it split off a huge section of new from the plant. i am goin to guess that the part that was on the piece that got separated will likely die.. but the rest of it will grow and next year should get more new stuff on it.

[Linked Image]

Meg #284093 Jun 3rd, 2009 at 03:49 PM
Maybe it's just my filthy mind, but that subject line looks way naughty.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image