Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#283733 Jun 1st, 2009 at 09:54 AM
OP Offline
With all the lawn and flowerbeds (thanks to the mystery plant forum that we know they are flowers and not weeds!) that we inherited from the previous owners, we also got a pond!! Since we moved in right before fall...we trimmed all the yellow iris and took out the dying water hyancinths and covered the pond with a net to protect from leaves.
At this time we had very active 8 Koi's. grin
We of course stopped feeding them when it got cold.

This spring when we opened up the pond, the pump broke and the pond got filled really quick with algae and so we proceeded to get the pond vaccumed and cleaned. Since the pond guys came in and cleaned it out, the algae came right back within a week..we are cleaning all the filters and have the waterfall and fountains running too. We put in some rolls of barley..one by fountain and one by the pump and threw in some tetra pond algae cleaner too.

In the meantime the koi's disappeared!!!! why
When the pond guys were cleaning they could not find them too...they had to look real hard before they found them hiding under plants and rocks...
We bought two new koi last week hoping they will make the others come out but they disappeared too...we have seen one or two of them come out from benind the rocks that are in the pool around the lining so maybe they are hiding?? I cannot understand why?? They were so active last year....only one is big and the others are maybe a year or so old.

So between the constantly disappearing koi and re-appearing algae..I think I am going crazy!! Please advise. Thanks.....
badday

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I don't know anything about ponds or koi's or algea, Sorry, wish I could help, But wow you got some really nice bonuses with your house!
I hope someone comes along and gives you advise soon,!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image