Rate Thread
#281945 May 25th, 2009 at 04:26 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
With Summer just around the way a bit, I know lots of you will be attending a church picnic at some point during the season. So, I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could share about church picnics we attend.

Our first in scheduled for June 7th. I've not been to a picnic with this particular church before, so I don't know what it will be like. It is being held at a large city park where I used to take Maxi when he was a little one so he could feed the ducks. It is a pretty park, so I'll be sure to get pictures.

The church is supplying the hot dogs and drinks and congregation members are bringing dishes to share.... so it is sorta Potluck.

What about you? What kind of church picnic will you be enjoying?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #282120 May 27th, 2009 at 11:18 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
We have an area out back where they barbeque and have all the fixin's out on a table, with another table for drinks, ice, glasses; and another table for dessert! And yes, the church supplies the meat, and drinks. We bring salads and desserts.

I use to attend these at city parks as well.

Sometimes we have a church service outside, and go on around back for the lunch outdoors.

They have scheduled one for while I am at Cindy's, so I won't get to enjoy this one, but they will have another one or two before the summer is over.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #282123 May 27th, 2009 at 11:53 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Our church does not have anything like what you guys are talking about. We do have things throughout the year but they are always fundraisers. Not just a big potluck so that everyone can get together. I have heard of other churches having picnics and such but I have never gone to a church that has had them. why

#282126 May 27th, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Jessica, do you go to a large church or does it have a smaller sized congregation? I've usually been in smaller sized churches, although when I was growing up I went to a large church, and I don't remember them having picnics.

It makes for a very social, fun time; and getting better acquainted with people you don't talk with as often. We do have potlucks for fund raisers or we host potlucks for seniors or others.

I do enjoy the picnics best.usually it is a women's group in the church that puts it together and inlists everyones help. Then it is usually announced during church when other announcements are being made...like..."and next satureday will be the church picnic...men, start forming a baseball team...ladies bring your best cakes..." and stuff like that. It's always a good time.

If you have a ladies group in your church you could suggest it. grin Of course, that usually means that YOU are on the committee!!!! lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #282127 May 27th, 2009 at 12:09 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
lol I suppose it would mean that.

Our church isn't tiny but we live in a town with a population of 4,000 people so I wouldn't necessarily call it a large church either. We have lots of other churches in this town too but this is the only catholic church. We have a spaghetti supper every year but that is to raise money for the catholic school, we have a waffle breakfast which is for the same thing....now that I think about it, pretty much everything like that that we have is to raise money for the school. why It would be nice to go to something where you just brought a dish to pass and didn't have to pay $10 to eat. I have nothing against supporting the church and the school but it seems like that is all they are ever asking for. What happened to just getting together with others from church just to get together?!? Obviously all of you still have that at your churches. It would be nice if all churches had the same idea.

#282128 May 27th, 2009 at 12:15 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Well, like I said, someone (YOU? lol) has to make the suggestion, and probably to be voted on, in a women's group. If you belong to one, or know someone who does, suggest starting an annual church social picnic for a Saturday afternoon, or all day. Some stay, and some come and go. The men usually help with the barbegueing, the ladies set out food, games are arranged for the kids (which, they are good at making their own. grin), the men play baseball, there might be some kind of contest set up for whatever.

It wouldn't hurt for you to ask among the ladies there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #282129 May 27th, 2009 at 12:16 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I will have to throw some ideas out there!

#282131 May 27th, 2009 at 12:24 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Remember......only if you want to work!!! lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #282183 May 27th, 2009 at 02:21 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I've been to big church picnics and small church picnics... both formal and informal and a few kinda spontaneous. The church we attend now also has Lemonade Sundays and Ice Cream Sundays.

The Ice Cream Sundays are a big hit because the church provides the fixin's and everybody can build their own Sundae.

The church we attended when Maxi was very young would have spontaneous picnics at the beach. During announcements at Mass, the priest would just say "Today if you have time, we will be meeting up at this beach at 2 PM. Bring your snacks and your toys!"

Many of the denominations (including mine) have regularly scheduled fundraising dinners that are more for the larger community than church members. These meals get advertized in the local papers and always sell out. The different churches get famous for what they serve and people come from all over to eat.

My church offers a Turkey Supper from September thru June. Another denomination in our area offers a Bean Supper. Another church offers Roast Beef.

In our church the women's group gathers all the foodstuffs, various people in the congregation volunteer to roast the turkeys according to the Official Recipe, other people make and donate pies. The ladies get together and peel 75 lbs of potatoes. The Youth Group decorates the hall and acts as waiters. And the Team gets to work early in the day making all the sidedishes and whatnot to go with.

So your $6.50 ticket (less for kids) buys you a wonderful homecooked Turkey Supper complete with stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetables, rolls & butter, cranberry sauce, your choice of pie and coffee or tea.

But Potluck Suppers are free of charge. You just bring whatever you want to share and the church provides the drinks and plates. And if anyone couldn't afford to make something, you are still expected to come and eat with everyone else.

I'm all for socializing around a table... be it a picnic table or otherwise! It is important (I think) for the church family.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; May 27th, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #282188 May 27th, 2009 at 02:31 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Yes, I think just a social 'get-together' is important for a church as a lot of members never even see each other outside of the Sunday/Saturday morning service. It's a much friendlier church when a congregation is given this opportunity to get to know one another.....people work better together in other situations, then, also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #284221 Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:29 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I am not feeling very creative when it came to thinking about what to take to this picnic on Sunday. So, last night I finally made up my mind!

I dug out my large round glass serving tray which is about 16/18 inches across. Then I went to the grocery and bought pearl onions, cherry tomatoes, Spanish olives, black olives, baby gherkin pickles and a big brick of sharp cheese.

I ended up having to call the Party Shoppe because the grocery doesn't carry those long fancy toothpicks any more. So tomorrow my girl will go up to the Party Shoppe & buy them for me.

On Saturday night Maxi and I will make fancy "kabobs" and fill up the tray.

If the fancy toothpicks aren't quite long enough, I can cut the cheese into nice cubes and mound them in the center of the tray and lay the "kabobs" all around the outside.

I think if I wrap the tray really well with Saran, it will keep nicely til noon on Sunday. I'd rather do it Sunday morning, but we have to leave here at 8 and I don't want to get caught in a rush at 6 AM trying to get everything done, breakfast together and myself ready to leave all at once.

My girl will stop by my house at 10:30 AM and get the tray out of the ice box and bring it to town, then drive us over to the picnic.

And, I bought a gigantic bag of chips to go along with. So, that's what we're taking.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #295387 Sep 15th, 2009 at 05:16 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
All the churches in the area are having their Church picnics this time of year.

Rod does not care for them, as he is not one to be in crowds. So this year Valarie is coming along with us for the Church service and I guess we will not be attending the pot-luck. We will probably just take her out to eat after church.

At our church until I began having to stay home & recover from all of these surgeries I was in charge of the gift booth at our "Friendship Sunday".--Our members would donate items to be used as prizes and the kids could "win" tickets playing games & then they could redeem them at my "prize booth".

It was a fun day.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image