Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#281676 May 24th, 2009 at 01:45 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year I bought a perennial called pony tail grass because it was so pretty and planted it on a huge ornamental pot. I covered it with peat and mulch for the winter but all I'm seeing it a spray of brown grass this spring. Is there a chance it will revive itself. Does it come up green from the bottom or does the brown blades turn green. Sorry I know that is kind of a dumb question but I never dealt with ornamental grass before.

Last edited by DaisyM; May 24th, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
DaisyM #281881 May 25th, 2009 at 11:27 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Ponytail grass or Stipa is only hardy to zone 7, so it probably didn't live through your Canadian winter. They are usually grown as annuals in colder areas. I planted 3 of them a few years ago and now I have lots more because they reseeded....I simply move the babies where I wanted them. But to answer your question, they grow green from the bottom up, but they are usually semi- evergreen, meaning they stay partially green with some die back (browning) also.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #281933 May 25th, 2009 at 03:16 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply, yes, that must be it. We are in a plant hardiness zone of 2B which I understand is poor (or not 2 B lol) By the looks of the grass it's not to be. When they sell perennials around here I wish they would make note of the hardiness of these plants.

I'll go and buy another pot of it. Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image