Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#281871 May 25th, 2009 at 10:35 AM
hexen79 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering what this is. I've looked up pictures of watermelon sprouts and none of them look anything like this. Though I haven't looked extensively, I don't particularly want to be growing any kinds of fungus atm. I appreciate any responses and thank you for your time.[Linked Image]

hexen79 #281900 May 25th, 2009 at 01:20 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hexen--

Welcome!

I am having a hard time understanding what this is exactly. My brain is trying to make the best of this photo, but here's what it's telling me: several over-baked potatoes one of which has a miniature pear inside, and the other a teeny sprout. Maybe it's just me. If I look at it harder, I can see that the potatoes are filled with soil (I think).

I hope someone else sees something different!!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #281963 May 25th, 2009 at 07:21 PM
hexen79 Offline OP
OP Offline
Rofl, I found out from one of my daughters that one of them put a seed from a tree on our greenhouse starter soil pod. It just happened to be on one of the ones we planted watermelon seeds in so that was what I thought it was. Being a novice, nay, noob gardener I didn't have the slightest clue as to what a watermelon sprout should look like. So it turns out that it was just a seed from one of the trees in our backyard.

hexen79 #281988 May 26th, 2009 at 07:00 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Too funny!!

To see a watermelon seedling, go here: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber/Extension/Vegetable%20Seedling%20Identification.pdf

It's photo #7.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #282080 May 27th, 2009 at 05:43 AM
hexen79 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for that booklet. I hope it's ok that I saved it to my computer. I think it will come in handy in the future. I am also attempting to grow tomatoes, zinnia (which are actually coming up in droves), pumpkins, bluebonnets, and another flower which reminds me of zinnias, but isn't. I forget what they are called, oh the name reminds me of zinnias, but not really. We tried to get them to come up in one of those greenhouse starter packs. We've had it for more than a month now and very few of the seeds have sprouted. I followed the instructions to the T, I really don't know what I did wrong. Oh well, guess I'll just have to try again.

hexen79 #282090 May 27th, 2009 at 06:44 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Saving the document to your computer is fine. (Just don't write a book or use it on your own website without citation!!)

If you've had the sort of starter packs I'm thinking of-- seeds, little peat pots-- and nothing has happened for a month, I wouldn't expect it to now (there are exceptions). Remember, one of the most important considerations for seed germination is soil temp. And if you're starting seeds inside, it can be difficult to control that. Most everything you've listed, though, except tomatoes, can be started outside when the soil warms up enough.

Where are you located, by the way? It helps to know this! (Like, if you're in NC, just get out there and plant everything in the garden; if you're in northern Canada, there are people here who are too & have lots of tips.)

[Linked Image]

Marica #313877 Apr 20th, 2010 at 04:22 PM
lol, yea you had me wondering for a while!

Marica #313892 Apr 21st, 2010 at 04:20 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
if you're in northern Canada, there are people here who are too & have lots of tips.)
thumbup

Yup..tip #1..don't plant anything outside for months yet to come lol

Tip#2...watermelons won't grow here, our season isn't long enough.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image