Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279105 May 8th, 2009 at 03:49 AM
Soulend Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone have any experience with this? Last year my veggie garden was a disaster, thousands of (annual) weeds were springing up virtually overnight. I simply could not keep up with them. I eventually gave up, it was so bad I couldn't tell what was a weed and what was a fruit/veggie.

So I picked up a bottle of this stuff. Hopefully it works as advertised, should I also put grass clippings or the like around the plants?

Soulend #279106 May 8th, 2009 at 04:08 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Soulend,, I don't know about Preen weed preventer,, that sounds like a pre emergent, meaning,, you apply at the beginning of the season to prevent any weed seeds from germinating and growing,
Personally I would not put grass clipping around plants because with grass clippings also come weed clipping in which weed seeds would be in as well. And with that comes trouble all over again with the weeds.
I make my own compost and I do put grass clippings in it BUT,, I make very sure what ever area I bag mow there are no weeds .

There are organic weed killers you can use around veggies and flowers that won't harm the veggies and flowers. Maybe you can go to your local nursery and ask them to direct you to an organic product for weeds while at the same time it's safe keeping for your plants and veggie's! thumbup

Oh you can also place mulch around your veggies,, after weeds are pulled this will help retain moisture as well as keep weeds down to a minimum, Your local nursery will direct you on the best mulch to use as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Soulend Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks angelblossom!

Yes, it is to prevent weeds before they start. This Sunday I am going to pull up all the roots I can find, till, mix in some manure and Miracle Gro garden soil, till again, and lay it down. My watermelons and peas are going to have to go in (inside their peat pots) because they're getting rather large - and big watermelon seedlings don't transplant well, but for the rest I'm waiting another week when they will be larger.

Good point on the grass clippings! Guess I'll pick up some mulch and lay that down when everything's in the ground. I had read that mulch makes great insect terrain and didn't want my veggies infested.

Soulend #279752 May 12th, 2009 at 01:49 AM
I agree with Soulend

Last edited by Bill; May 12th, 2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: removed spam
ddddyyyy #281485 May 23rd, 2009 at 06:35 AM
Soulend Offline OP
OP Offline
Eh, it didn't seem to work; at least on these weeds. So I used pine bark and cypress mulch.

I can't wait for this crappy, windy, overcast weather to be over - my veggies aren't liking it one bit, growth has slowed to a crawl. Need some direct sun.

Last edited by Soulend; May 23rd, 2009 at 06:37 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image