Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#281368 May 22nd, 2009 at 10:43 AM
OP Offline
I was driving by my deceased great aunts home in the country the other day and noticed that there is a large (pobably 8' tall and 6'wide) spirea growing by the house. I know that the house is sometime going to be either burnt or torn down since it is very dilapidated. I am wanting to transplant this beautiful bush to my home.

My mom says that she is almost positive that it is a bridal wreath spirea. So, I am wondering when is the best time to try and transplant this bush? How would I go about doing it? I am located in zone 5.

Cassie
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you can move it now and it'll have plenty of time for the roots to get re-established before winter hits.

i moved a dwarf spirea that was overshadowed by another bush, so it wasn't growing all that well. it had been in the spot for quite a long time though (couple of decades at least), so the roots were very well established.

boy! it was a real bugger to get it up and out! the roots weren't all that deep - just very intense quantity-wise.

i moved it early-summer and, since it was a dwarf type and not growing too well, i didn't cut it back any. i'm in 6b, so it had plenty of time to get re-established, even though i really should have moved it a little earlier.

for a full-sized type of the dimensions you gave, i'd cut it back by at least a third before you dig it up (maybe even by half). one, it'll be easier to move and two, it'll cut back on the 'shock' of being moved and three, the roots can focus on growing themselves, rather than supplying nutrients to the leaves/flowers after it's in the new location.

water it well after it's been moved and keep up with watering every couple days if it doesn't rain. it'll wilt a little right after the move - should perk up within a couple of weeks though.

prepare the hole at the new location before you dig it up

Zone 6b
10k Posts
10k Posts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image