Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm hoping someone here can tell me what is happening with my corn seedlings!

The corn is Early Golden Bantam and I started it about three weeks ago. They are in store-bought potting soil in the house in a south facing window (as are all my seedlings). They are now about 4 or 5 inches high and now each seedling has a single droplet of what appears to be water on the tip. The tips of all the seedlings have curled and look unhealthy, thought the rest of the plant looks fine.
I have kept the soil watered, but it doesn't smell musty or bad. Sometimes they are slightly warmed as on cloudy days when little light comes in the window I put on a couple of lightbulbs, and one bulb in under them (th0ugh they never get hot, just slightly warm.

I am concerned about these droplets, as the tips of the plants look unwell!
What could be happening?

My intention is to repot these in larger pots outside this weekend. I am growing corn on the deck this year.

Thanks for any and all ideas!
:)
Thistle

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
Could they be too wet? Corn doesn't like cold wet soil. I just now finished getting my second planting into the garden and I immediately covered it with plastic, both for the extra heat, and to keep the cold rain off. There's plenty of mosture in the soil to germinate the seeds.

Terry

May the force be with you
OP Offline
Hmmmm.... too wet possibly. Not cold thoug, I don't think. Because of the lightbulb on the shelf underneath, when I pick up the newspaper cup of dirt they are in and put it in the palm of my hand the base is slightly warm.

I have been keeping the soil moist, though, as I keep hearing that corn are "heavy" on fertilizer and water. Perhaps I am overestimating how much moisture a seedling needs!

I was going to wait for this weekend to repot them, but do you think it is more urgent than that? If I stop watering and let them dry out a little will they be fine until the weekend?

:)
Thistle

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
like a water droplet hanging from the tip of the leaf? You can dab it off or leave it. It seems my canna seedlings also get droplets of water on the tips of their leaves (as well as their centers filled with water) as well as my job's tears whenever I put them on the heating mat. It's probably the water from the soil evaporating faster than usual, and the leaves collect the water and they funnel into a droplet at the tip. Nothing to be worried about :)I haven't seen water droplets on the seedlings that are not on the heating mat.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
OP Offline
Sounds exactly like my problem!

I am letting the soil dry a little, but I will also move them to a different shelf where they aren't warmed.

Thanks!
Thistle

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image