Print Thread
Rate Thread
#278459 May 4th, 2009 at 06:14 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
I have been copy/pasting every thing on the forum about container growing, including tomatos which I would love to try in my apt window.

I have great success with the flowers that I have planted like my purple Oxylis, Vinca, Dianthus and Impatiens.

This year I have more Dianthus (my purple shamrock just gets more gorgeous every year!) and have Zinnias from seed....also have Cosmos coming up from seed.

I would love to get more input on container growing....only about 4 or 5 threads in this particular topic.

My containers are in an east window which gets sun until midday, and good light until sundown. I don't usually have them directly on the windowsill because the glass window throws off too much heat; I keep them on a table directly in front of that window.

Here is one of maney Impatiens I had in different colors, and my Vinca:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

OH...and I had an Amaryllis bulb bloom:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
One of my new Desmond Dianthus plants bloomed and one of the Zinnia plants which I grew from seed which Diane sent me has budded and is opening:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I could have put this thread in House Plants, I guess, but what I am really interested in, which is why I put it here, is what other type plants you all might suggest for me to try in containers indoors, which do not require ALL day sun. ...any flower or vegetables. Like I said, I am really interested in trying a tomato plant.

Anything you have to say would be appreciated. Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OMG That is AWESOME you are growing them from seed INSIDE and no grow lights or anything! and they are blooming FINE!!!!!!!!! grin clap clap

Do you have any other blooms since you posted those,, grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
that is amazing! I have bought impatients and tried to have them inside and can't do it. And a zinnia. Wow.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
SHeri,,,,,,,,,,,, SHirley grows a lot of flowering plants inside,, I am sooooo amazed at her skill of doing that!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Everything I've tried so far blooms for me in here. So, I'm just going to start experimenting with other things that you wouldn't think of at all, I guess.

I was hoping, by starting this, that I might here back from some others who have grown flowering plants indoors in windows and what kind they have had luck with. But everyone seems so amazed that I grow these flowers in here, so I guess hardly anyone does it....so....if I start growing REALLY strange stuff indoors, I'll post it on here, I guess.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, Shirley.

I've always grown many things indoors as well, Shirley, and I say you have the best arrangement with an East window for most things. I often use East but for some things I try to use South.

Have you tried Portulaca aka Moss rose? Or Gloxinia?

Maxi always does well growing Marigolds & Pansies indoors also.

And if you do a tomato you might want to put it directly on the windowsill (at least for a time) because tomatoes really like the heat.

Your Dianthus is exceptional, by the way.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Thanks Merme. No I haven't tried Portulaca or Gloxinia, so thanks very much for those suggestions. Since I can grow Zinnias, I could try Marigolds.
I guess I haven't gotten pansies because I see them everywhere so much.
I I tried a tomato plant I thought I would try an upside down one, and hang it directly in front of the window.

I only have the east window....and I want more plants than I have room for!! lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Here is what I brought home Thursday!!!
It is a doubled Fiesta Impatiens. A beautiful orange red color.
Look how MANY buds it has on it, just waiting to burst open!!! clap

[Linked Image]

I moved it back farther, from the window, because the stick said
'partial shade', so it is now on the table with some other plants between it and the hot window.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
That double Fiesta Impatiens is really something else, Shirley! Great color!

The first time we did upside down tomatoes, we did cherry tomatoes. They were so prolific!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Could I do big tomatos do you think? I don't really like cherry ones.
I like to slice big slices on sandwiches. grin

Here is what that Zinnia bloom looks like now!

[Linked Image]

Well, I'm outta here. I have a busy day today and won't be back here until
6:00pm or after.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I would shop for a Patio variety, Shirley. You want to keep a handle on the size and weight factor for your window area.... so something with a low growth trait that produces large tomatoes would be ideal.

growing them upside down reduces the stress of the weight of the fruit on the stems of the plant, but I would still be cautious if you are going with the larger size tomato... perhaps taking a few pieces of fruit off early to relieve some of the strain. Of course one of the benefits of upside down growth is that the fruit doesn't lay on the ground and rot while ripening, so you can leave them long enough to be truly "vine ripe". So, taking some early would be a sort of trade off in that sense because you want the larger fruit and thus more weight.

It should be an interesting experiment and I'm keen to know how it goes!

Very pretty Zinnia, Miss Green Thumb For The Window Garden Shirley!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Merme gave you a good suggestion for the type of tomato plant Shirley--There is a tomato variety called Jolly too----Both produce smaller tomatoes but are not the cherry tomato variety.

also a bit of info--if you buy one of those tospy tervy tomatoes thingys it comes with its own stand, so you would not have to wonder where to put it.--all you would need is a tomato plant, and some dirt.---also, if I understand correctly there is a place-(or 2)- to place other types of veggies/flowers as well. and if you are so inclined I have heard that people have planted cascading types of plants/flowers on the top of the container after planting their veggies for a decerative effect

so it could well be 1 stop planting why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

Shirley, I fortgot to mention---I love your plants, you have done an outstanding job!!!! But I especiallly an drawn to your Desmond Dianthus.

it is simoply beautiful!!!! thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Giggles
20k Posts
OP Offline
Giggles
20k Posts
Thank you both so much!!

Good advise on all counts.

I did not know that, about it coming with a stand!! That would be great.

I had thought a bout putting flowers or another vegetable on the top...these sound like they would be a fun experiment for indoors!!

Do you think it is too late to get a plant and start it now?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, Shirley, you could go buy a healthy plant now and get it started. In your area your growing season is quite lengthy so I wouldn't fret in the least. Our season is terribly short and no one up here even has tomatoes in the ground yet as we still haven't passed our last frost date. Even so, we grow tomatoes.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image