Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#277337 Apr 28th, 2009 at 09:15 AM
OP Offline
I was recently given this beautiful ceramic container that i just adore. I was thinking of placing it by my entrance door and i was so excited i did not realize until recently that there is no draining hole in it.
What can I do? Can i plant anything in it?

ingz..
You could add a thick layer of stones in the bottom of the container, or the other option is to drill holes.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
How large is it? Could you put a plant in a pot inside the ceramic pot?
I do that all the time with success.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by atokadawn
You could add a thick layer of stones in the bottom of the container, or the other option is to drill holes.

I was going to suggest the thick layer of stones as well---like what you might have in the driveway--(wash/dry them though)

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by atokadawn

teach To drill through a ceramic pot, be sure to put a wooden (or rubber) block on the back side of the hole for support, use a variable speed drill at a very low speed and apply water or light oil as a coolant/lubricant as you drill through.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
adding stones in the bottom will cause more harm than good. best thing is to do as bill suggests: drill a couple holes in the bottom of the container.

if you don't want to do that, i'd suggest using small containers inside the larger piece...you can set them on a layer of stones so the bottoms aren't sitting in excess water...and cover the tops (to hide the containers) with one of the available decorative mosses.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
I am afraid of drilling a hole. I think it will break. I like the rock idea I think I am gonna try that
before trying to drill a hole. I will let you guys know if it works out. ;-) thanks for all the suggestions
it took a while to reply because I lost the website address for some reason some of my bookmarks were deleted.
Thanks again.

ingz..
1k Posts
1k Posts
If you have a broken clay pot you can line the bottom with the broken pieces...works good.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
I've encounted a similar situation and put pieces of broken slate roof tiles at the bottom for drainage. For some reason, they work far better than stones or pebbles.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by jennifera
I've encounted a similar situation and put pieces of broken slate roof tiles at the bottom for drainage. For some reason, they work far better than stones or pebbles.

I think the shards work better because they leave air pockets under them where the excess water can drain to, leaving the soil dryer.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image