Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#276314 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 06:55 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I know this is a plant forum, but there is a water plant assortment being sold with a live fish, and I wanted to warn you not to buy it.

If you know what a Betta fish is, you may know of this. Bettas in the wild live in shallow areas of water, but they are selling a live betta in a plant vase that comes with a live plant, and saying the betta eats ONLY the plant and can live in the vase.
Bettas eat floating betta pellets, brine shrimp, and blood worms, and certainly a plant vase is too small for a betta to live in, so this is actually very cruel for them, not to mention water quality will foul quickly.

So PLEASE, do not buy this if you see it. If you do, please make sure you at least have an aquarium for the betta to live in, the plant is ok in the vase.

This what it most commonly looks like.
[Linked Image]

KeithP #276376 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
beta's can certainly live in a vase with a rooted/rooting plant - that would duplicate their natural evironment. you would need to change out the water frequently and you DO need to provide food. they wouldn't eat the roots or leaves of any plant - as you already noted, they eat brine shrimp and worms, so those items (and/or the pellets) would have to be provided for the fish to do well.

that particular vase wouldn't be good - not enough surface area for oxygen transferance. something wider would be better.

the local florist has always kept a beta in a vase with some kind of plant rooting in the water...he had the same fish for 5 years (which is a long time for beta in captivity). that one just recently died and he didn't get another one because, as it turns out, he's closing.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #276394 Apr 24th, 2009 at 04:54 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My grand daughter had a beta in a tiny vase for over 3 years. I kept saying it was mean but everyone kept saying that's the way they live. She never fed it. I thought it ate the plant floating around with it.

Bestofour #276407 Apr 24th, 2009 at 06:46 AM
I personally do not like them being in a vase. Low oxygen levels. My sister had a roommate for about 9 months or so and when she left she left the fish, so I took it. It was in a very tiny vase and I brought it home and put it in a 10 gallon tank by itself. and I bought a 1 gallon octagon tank and got a female beta so they would have company. I placed the octagon in the 10 gallon and they lived like that for 4 years. So the male was around 5 and lived there well as well. I fed mine the brine shrimp and pellets.

Lisa Hurt
lisajonathan00 #276415 Apr 24th, 2009 at 08:01 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
it does seem cruel to keep them in such a tiny space. Hers was bought at Pet Smart and they sold the tiny bowel too. You'd think Pet Smart would know what they need. Do they actually swim around in a larger area because hers just sort of floated in one spot.

Bestofour #276427 Apr 24th, 2009 at 09:24 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Hers was bought at Pet Smart and they sold the tiny bowel too.

I bet the bowel is very tiny, now that you mention it! haha neenee

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Bestofour #276473 Apr 24th, 2009 at 03:11 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bestofour
My grand daughter had a beta in a tiny vase for over 3 years. I kept saying it was mean but everyone kept saying that's the way they live. She never fed it. I thought it ate the plant floating around with it.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that is certainly not how they live! Bettas have a HUGE misconception about them in many areas, and your local pet shops, you cant trust them all, most dont tell you the right information, and those tiny bowls they sell them in, BAD! If your transporting them, fine, but not to live in their whole lives.

A vase, even if its large, still isnt good for bettas. They can jump out of the uncovered vase (yes, bettas CAN jump very well!), the water quality goes bad quickly (you would have to change it every 2 days to be good!), you cant control the water temp, and the betta doesnt have much room to swim. So your betta will not be active in such a tiny bowl/vase. Not to mention a vase is easy to knock over! You CAN keep plants in with a betta, but with the pic I posted, did you see how long those roots were, the betta had no room! The plant would have to be MUCH smaller, and you would need an aquarium if you want plants and a betta.

That betta may have eaten the plant just to survive from starving, but Bettas are meat eaters, in the wild they eat mosquito larvae, any bugs that drown in the water, and tiny, freshwater crustaceans. They get the plant material from their prey's stomach, they dont eat actual plants.

Bettas live in shallow water in the wild, BUT, that can be a large area like a flooded pond, so they have alot of room in feet to swim. They breath air, but that is a survival tactic in the wild, since there water is usually no current, still, and oxygen deprived, so they make up for lack of oxygen by breathing air, but they can easy thrive in a 10 gallon aquarium and do so nicely as long as you dont have a fast flowing filter, they cant swim well in fast currents. Some fish species also nip at a bettas fins, so you have to do your research if you want them in a community tank (in other words with other fish) And offcourse, NEVER keep two bettas together. In some cases in an aquarium you can keep 3 or 4 females, but NEVER EVER more than 1 Male or male/female (except to breed)! If you have a 10 gallon and want to put a divider in the tank, so each side is five gallons, then you can have any 2 bettas in the same tank, as long as they cant get to each other.

They also are tropical fish, preferring temp of 75-80 F.

Some of you definetly need to visit this site on bettas! It's not your fault people may have told you the wrong info, but its never too late to learn!
http://www.bettatalk.com/

Last edited by KeithP; Apr 24th, 2009 at 03:17 PM.
KeithP #276530 Apr 24th, 2009 at 07:35 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
poor fish. Living all those years like that. What a cruel life. Something should be done to stop the stores from telling that crap.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image