Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275631 Apr 20th, 2009 at 02:50 PM
esor105 Offline OP
OP Offline
Help I have noticed a lot of small holes in my lawn and don't know what to do?

esor105 #275711 Apr 20th, 2009 at 08:56 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Do you have a picture of the holes??? Is your lawn in full sun?

I have a bunch of holes in my yard and they are being caused by skunks coming to my lawn to get the grubs that are growing under the lawn!!! ARG! I have no dead patches in the lawn indicating grubs, but I found them a few weeks ago when I was digging in the lawn....then I noticed the holes and a guy at Lowes said they were from skunks.

I'd take a picture of my holes, but we have rain right now...may take a couple of days until I can get outside without getting wet.

[Linked Image]
esor105 #275760 Apr 21st, 2009 at 06:29 AM
Can you show us a picture? When grubs turn into beetles they crawl up out of the turf leaving a small hole. The grub eats the root thus killing the grass.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
waterwise #275798 Apr 21st, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
depending on what type of grub is there, they may be starting to emerge now. if the holes are from grubs coming up, they'd be fairly small in diameter - an inch or so.

if the holes are larger - say, 2-3 inches - then it would be from animals digging...either raccoons looking for grubs (skunks are herbavores and wouldn't eat grubs) or it could be squirrels looking for nuts or bulbs.

it's also possible that you have voles or moles - they create holes from underneath and usually pull whatever is growing down into their burrow.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #275847 Apr 21st, 2009 at 04:55 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Joclyn,
All the research I've done says that skunks DO go after and eat grubs.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #275885 Apr 21st, 2009 at 08:55 PM
Oh ya! Skunks will eat just about anything. Chickens, eggs, Grubs, worms.. Don't know who came up with the skunks are herbivore's thing but that is soooooooo not true. They dig up my grass every year to get to the thumb sized grubs that are hiding there. Skunks are omnivore's they will eat anything darn near. Treat the grass for grubs nor matter who is making the holes. IMHO!!!!

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
waterwise #275924 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
hmm, i know people who have skunks as pets (that's allowed in some areas as long as they were not originally from the wild) and none of them have ever mentioned feeding them meat.

heh, learn somethin' new every day!!

i'll also have to question them as to why no one has ever mentioned feeding them meat!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #275926 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts

Diagnosing Holes in the Yard

THE FOLLOWING TABLE LISTS VARIOUS HOLE DIMENSIONS, SOIL CONDITIONS AND HOLE LOCATIONS, FOLLOWED BY THE CREATURE RESPONSIBLE

12 - 36 inches in diameter, thoroughly plowed three inches deep, in flowerbed: armadillo

6 - 10 inches in diameter, no mound, scattered in lawn: skunk or raccoon

6 - 10 inches in diameter, mound four inches high, near garden or barn: groundhog

2 inches in diameter, no mound, scattered in lawn: squirrel digging acorns

2 inches in diameter, small mound one inch high, under a shrub, log pile or concrete slab: chipmunk or rat

2 inches diameter, small mound, in lawn with markedly raised grass nearby: mole

1 inch diameter, no mound, next to hosta: vole

1 inch diameter, soil thinly scattered around hole, middle of the yard: cicada killer wasp

1 inch diameter, two inches high and made from balls of mud, near creek: crayfish

One-fourth inch diameter, mound two inches high & wide, several in middle of the lawn: ground bee

No hole, mound two inches high & wide, several in middle of the lawn: earthworm

As well diggers might joke, their work involves lots of deep thinking! I'm hopeful my table will help you solve landscape hole puzzles without a great deal of thought.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
Joclyn #275928 Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:30 AM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
hmm, i know people who have skunks as pets (that's allowed in some areas as long as they were not originally from the wild) and none of them have ever mentioned feeding them meat.

heh, learn somethin' new every day!!

i'll also have to question them as to why no one has ever mentioned feeding them meat!

When I was on the high school track team, there was a family who lived near the school who had a pet skunk that was "de-skunked", if you get my drift. lol They said the skunk was just like a pet cat!! I'd love to get one just for the oddity of having a pet skunk, but our dogs would kill it soo fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Papito! That is a GREAT list!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image