Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275185 Apr 18th, 2009 at 02:32 PM
OP Offline
I have a very young calamundin bush, about 3 yrs old, which used to have lots of leaves and small branches when I inherited. Last year, I took it inside the house before winter, and at that point, the leaves started curling and falling off. So I controlled the watering, and the new leaves didnt curl anymore but they all soon fell off during winter (well, I thought that was the reason). Now it's spring, and one new branch started to grow, and thinking more light would be good, I moved it quickly by the french door (but still inside the flat as it still gets cold). The single branch has since then grown huge such that I needed to support it with a pole. However, this is the ONLY branch which grew, and no leaves are growing on the old branches! Should I cut off those old twigs? And are those leaves starting to curl again in those photos? I now water and fertilize (Summer formula starting April) once in 10 days! Or am I just being impatient???

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24118673@N02/sets/72157608129722072/

Pls help as I really want to get some leaves and fruit from this plant.
I've attached a link showing the status of the plant last November, and how it looks now.

Thanks

Last edited by Bettybp616; Apr 18th, 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach the Flickr url

Bettybp
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
from http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/solver/

Leaf Drop/Twig Dieback
Leaf drop and twig dieback can be caused by lack of light. Citrus trees need a minimum of 6 hours of light. If growing indoors, it's possible that your trees will do better with a grow light for the winter. A sudden change in lighting can also cause problems, so be sure to move your tree gradually from one spot to another, or from inside to out.

If your tree receives adequate light, and experiences leaf drop improper watering is probably the culprit. Too much or too little water is equally likely to cause trouble. A lack of water can cause the tree to dry out and lose leaves, and an excess of water can cause the roots to rot, which leaves them unable to take water and nutrients up to the leaves. If you modify watering to provide even moisture, often the tree will recover, albeit slowly. A moisture meter is useful in determining an appropriate water schedule.

Should your tree lose all its leaves, don't despair. Prune the tree, improve the growing conditions, and it may put leaves out again.

Citrus Leaf Curl
If the leaves on your dwarf citrus are curling, there are three common possibilities:

1. Some insect pests will cause some leaf curl. In spring, aphids might do this on soft new leaves. Look inside the curl for presence of insects. If none are present, consider 2 or 3 below.

2. Overwatering can cause leaves to curl or cup INWARD. Also, stress from very hot weather will do it.

3. Sometimes leaves will cup DOWNWARD in the late fall or early winter. This is not a problem to worry about, as the new growth will come out with normal shaped leaves in the spring and the trees seem to produce flowers and fruit in proliferation once established.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image