Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#275617 Apr 20th, 2009 at 12:41 PM
mrw Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. Have any of you grown lima beans? I tried last year and they never came out of the ground! A glutton for punishment, I decided to try again this year. Two weeks ago I started some indoors, and they have come up and are growing leaves. So what do I do now, when will it be safe to plant outside, I live in NY state, zone 6 I think. Is there anything else I should do, will they grow on a fence, as a vine? Thanks for any information!

wildwoman
mrw #275619 Apr 20th, 2009 at 01:21 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
mrw--

I'll let someone else address transplanting your seedlings. I've never started beans indoors. Lima beans have one of the highest optimum temperatures for seed germination. Ideally, the *soil* should be about 85 degrees when you plant the seeds (down to 60 degrees is o.k., but germination time will be longer). I suspect that you may have planted your seeds too early last year.

You don't say where in NY you are, but if you check the hardiness & frost date maps on this site (up at the top), you'll see that for most of the state, the median last frost is in May. If you don't have a soil thermometer, you can guesstimate when the soil will be warm enough because lima seeds should be planted about two weeks AFTER the last frost date. And as always, it's better to be a week or two later than early.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Last frost in may area is 5/1-15 (depending on who you ask), and I don't worry if my limas aren't in the ground until 6/1-- plenty of time for them to mature!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #276424 Apr 24th, 2009 at 09:10 AM
It depends on the type you planted as to if they will grow on a fence. I plant bush type. They are more compact.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image