Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#265966 Mar 1st, 2009 at 02:59 PM
OP Offline
my crown of thorns plant keeps losing its leaves. i have had it for at least 5 years.it is 14 ins high with 3 branches & blooms on each branch all the time. but it has no leaves, is this normal?it has leaves from time to time, then they all fall off.why does this happen, how do I correct it?

OP Offline
still waiting for any responce to my crown of thorns problem posted in march my plant is still blooming .still no leaves .the one branch seems to be drying up though am i not watering enough?

500 Posts
500 Posts
Mine had lost most of its leaves this winter. I put it in the most sun I could and started misting the stems daily. It may not be getting enough water, this plant seems to need mnore water than other cactus.

This is all I can offer without any more info or a pic. You said you have had it for a few years have you repotted it during that time? It may need fresh soil. I would not do that until it starts to look better though.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
crown of thorns automatically drop leaves when they are too hot and dry or too cold to conserve the growth for the important parts. I've never figured out why an occasional branch may dry up and die. But if the rest of the plant is plump and healthy just cut that branch off.
I have mine growing outside in a mostly shady spot. It has taken a beating the last couple of winters which were harsher than our usual winters. There is much that I don't know about them. Mine is about 40 years old.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #275861 Apr 21st, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Mine used to drop the leves in the winter and then the branches grew taller. With spring the leves grew back and it would start blooming.

I just purchased a Crown of Thorns plant a little over a week ago. About three days after all the leaves turned yellow and fell off is this normal? Will the leaves grow back.?

Ray

[Linked Image from wilsoninfo.com]

Ray from Massachusetts
My crown of thorn plant is now doing well new leaves are coming back. I am so happy because I really wanted this plant to survive.

[Linked Image from wilsoninfo.com]

Ray from Massachusetts
OP Offline
thank you for imfo on crown of thorns its still growing but without leaves have now placed it outside so hope fully the sunlight and rain will revitalize ;I do have a new branch with a new bloom though thank you for in put you have given me new hope ,

My crown lost all its leaves when i brought it inside last winter, when spring came and i took it out it did not have one single leaf. I decided to cut one side back and propagate some cuttings, gradually leaves came back and new growth started and now it has leaves galore, i have had this one 7 yrs, and it has lost leaves before, they always come back.i hope this image works i am still learning to do this. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image