10k Posts
how 'bout that?

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
so I'm asking my questions again

Rachel has answered the first and second. I'm glad Brennan is better.

I have a lot of questions.

Cindy, how far away does Rachel live from you?

Did Brennan go to Urgent Care or somewhere to check on his ears? (I might have missed it in my reading)

Merme, what do you do with onion skins? And I wouldn't notice the color of eggs either if I had a bunch of children under 5 with me.

Where is Ditchy?

What is clarified butter? No idea here.

Cindy, why were you dying so many eggs? If we hid that many we'd never find them all.

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I'd help you out with the rest of your questions if I could.

I have a question of my own. Does anyone know anything about distemper? We had a very ill raccoon in our yard earlier this evening. It was obviously very sick and was just wandering around aimlessly. It didn't even seem to notice when we walked up to it. I had to call animal control to pick it up. The animal control officer said it could possibly have distemper. I hate knowing they will put it to sleep but I couldn't chance my animals getting sick from it. I'm wondering if they can still get sick if they come into contact with the raccoon's droppings.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
this is what I found. Sounds like your raccoon: In the final stage of the disease, the raccoon may begin to wander aimlessly in a circle, disoriented and unaware of its surroundings, suffer paralysis or exhibit other bizarre behaviour as a result of brain damage. The disease is transmitted through airborne droplets, direct contact with body fluids, saliva or raccoon droppings. Unvaccinated cats or dogs are in danger of becoming infected.

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Sounds like I had better keep my babies in the house until I can get them to the vet. They have both had shots, but I don't know how long the vaccines are good for.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Get the Bleach out Rachel nervous

Sheri I don't know where Ditchy is,,, why sometimes when I log on before I go to work I see her here maybe just reading?? why

Clarified butter is butter that has been rendered to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat. Typically it is produced by melting butter and allowing the different components to separate by density. The water evaporates, some solids float to the surface and are skimmed off, and the remainder of the milk solids sink to the bottom and are left behind when the butter fat (which would then be on top) is poured off. The components that are not butter fat are usually discarded. To make clarified butter, melt unsalted butter and take the foam that comes up with a spoon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Get the Bleach out Rachel nervous

After I read this it actually popped into my mind how I could spray a bleach mixture on the yard with a garden sprayer. touched Maybe I am a little too OCD. Jeremy would kill me if I bleached the yard after True Green has come out and treated it to make it nice and lush.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
To further what Diane said, butter seperates into 3 layers. The top layer is a sort of foamy white stuff, which is the casein. The second layer is the pure butter fat, this is the purified form of butter. The 3rd layer is a milky, more solid substance which is the whey. So basically, purified butter is butter than has been stripped of casein and whey and what you have left if purified butter fat.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm with Rachel. I Clorox my outside stuff all the time - driveway, steps, wood stuff(it's great if you have a little mold on wood), everything. Clorox kills the staph that causes MRSA, the HIV virus, Ecoli, all sorts of stuff. That's why my hands are dried out. I wipe everything with Clorox. Don't forget doorknobs.

Diane, thanks but why would a recipe need clarified butter?

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Thanks Cheryl. Why would a recipe need it rather than usual butter. Can you buy it already clarified in the store?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The shots your pup(s?) have had are probably good to go for them, Rachel. That is one of the main things that animals get shots for. And at this point it is probably best for the raccoon to be put out of its misery. It is suffering with very little hope of recovery. That is very sad though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Sheri, I've never seen clarified butter in stores but I haven't looked for it either. The recipe I was making was a type of french butter cake and I guess removing the casein and whey is important to the consistency? The cookbook didn't really explain it. I have to remove the casein to eat it anyway otherwise I have to substitute butter with canola oil and that doesn't always make the texture turn out just right so for this recipe I just followed the instructions.

Last edited by chermoni; Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: got confused

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
That's why my hands are dried out. I wipe everything with Clorox. Don't forget doorknobs.

You should see my hands. They stay dry and cracked. I have to sleep with gloves and lotion on sometimes because they get so bad they bleed.

I never forget the doorknobs. I clean them constantly. I know everyone else doesn't wash their hands over 40 times a day like I do. Yuck. And then they touch everything. I even wipe the mouse and keyboard down everyday.

I felt terrible about the raccoon. I wasn't sure if I did the right thing or not. I've cried over it several times already. But Tina you are right. That was exactly what I was thinking. It's a better way to go than to die a slow death from being ill or another animal killing it because it's too sick to defend itself.

Last edited by rachelp; Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I'm with Rachel. I Clorox my outside stuff all the time - driveway, steps, wood stuff(it's great if you have a little mold on wood), everything. Clorox kills the staph that causes MRSA, the HIV virus, Ecoli, all sorts of stuff. That's why my hands are dried out. I wipe everything with Clorox. Don't forget doorknobs.

Would you like to come visit me for a week or so?

I have a big vat of Clorox in the shed waiting for you to take a dip.

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
you guys should see me in a public bathroom pushing the flush handle with my foot. I'm short and sometimes they are high up but I manage.

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I do the same thing! Then I take a tissue to the door to open it up.

I guess I need to get Brennan in the bed. He has school on Monday so I have to get him back on a regular schedule. He still seems to be feeling better. I bet he'll probably wake up in the middle of the night again. It always seems to go that way.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sheri~ I save all the paper-like skins from any yellow onions I use for a while before Easter. You add them to the water you are using to boil the white eggs. The yellow skins, believe it or not!, turn the eggs a deep reddish color. After they are dry, I wipe them with a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel so they shine. It is my favorite color Easter egg, though I use other old-fashioned recipes for dyeing also.

My girl didn't get back here til way late. The eggs are just now boiling so I think Maxi will dye his in the morning.

I sat my girl down for a conversation. And Nana had a right thought: my girl thinks she might be pregnant again! (Baby #4 and she has an IUD). We went over all the screw ups of yesterday.... picking me up 40 minutes late/making me late for dialysis, not getting the Lobster bisque, not getting the Hot Cross Buns, getting the brown eggs, not doing the laundry, and not getting my big pot scoured after she burned the potatoes to the bottom of it and just left it in the sink, not running the disposal and turning on the dishwasher!

That was a LOT of OPPSIES for one day!

This girl is usually so on the ball, I was worried as to what was up with her? She just wasn't herself yesterday at all.

I thought she would burst into tears when I sat her down at my kitchen table and said "I know you to be a woman with great concentration and ability to focus on your work. I know you have natural intellectual talents far beyond your current employment status. With a little training or education, there is nothing you couldn't achieve in life. So, what the heck happened yesterday?"

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good night, Rachel. I hope Brennan rests well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Thanks Merme.

Bye for now. I may be back later on.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Has she checked to see if the IUD is still in the cerix? A small percent are expelled.

Red is my fav colored egg too. I'm going to try the onion skins.

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Oh My Merme,,
sounds like your girl..
has a problem if she is right about being pg with number 4 ... would explain the scatter brain stuff she has been doing...hope she gets over it for your sake
I hope Brennen sleeps thru the night for you... earaches are so very painful for kids....
We had some good news about my sons MIL - she is doing better- still in the ICU but doing better they said...so hope she keeps it up for their sakes... been praying a lot for them all.
Well I am off need to go to bed and get up early to make eggs for the boys..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi just went to bed... he was dozing off on the couch, fighting to keep awake. Tomorrow will be early enough for him to Go On The Bunny Trail; tonight he needs to sleep!

I am going to try to take a shower without assistance. I really can NOT wait til Monday.

I have a few more tasks to do in the kitchen tonight and I have to hide Maxi's Easter basket and then I hope to be in bed still at a somewhat decent hour.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Happy Easter Morning to those of you who celebrate! Happy Sunday Morning to those of you who do not!

We got up early considering how late we went to bed! Maxi called me at 7:20. He searched diligently for his basket, scouring the entire kitchen, laundry niche, bathroom and living room before he found it behind the couch! That tricksy little bunny hid it well on him. And Maxi was delighted.

We made our Pillsbury Grand Eggs & Bacon dish for Breakfast and it was wonderful. I only forgot to buy juice and oh boy, did I want some this morning. Oh well, I can't remember everything!

Now Maxi is in the shower and when he is done, he will dye his eggs. My onion eggs came out beautifully though paler than usual as I didn't save enough skins ahead of time. I just haven't been cooking with onion alot in the past month or so, minding my poor aching tummy. Still, the eggs are pretty, and have all the interesting striping and mottling they get with this technique.

Maxi's Easter lily bloomed and it surely is handsome on the kitchen table next to his Cranberry Glass elegant bunny in his glass nest. (It is a candy or relish dish I often use for Easter dinner as well, filling it with either Jello-Eggs or Pickled Eggs).

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Morning and Happy Easter Everyone!
*Merme,, I have a question for you in your recipe thread* :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Hello everyone. It's a lovely Easter morning here - no wind. Been to church, had breakfast and going to have lunch with the family today.

Last edited by Bestofour; Apr 12th, 2009 at 06:16 AM. Reason: can't spell

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sorry I didn't see your question right away Diane; I got busy dyeing eggs with the kid.

Sheri your day sounds fun and full!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Be right back. I'm going to upload and post a photo. It might take a few minutes.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Merme, are your traditions from church, from living in Maine, from the north or what. Your traditions are different than mine which I assume are southern since both my parents are southern.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sheri I have spent my life as a vagabond and have picked up traditions from many people and places and faith traditions as well as from other eras through all the reading I have done.

I have always been fascinated by cultural differences and loved learning how things are done and thought of by other people.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Good morning everyone! I got the kids easter baskets ready for them, I got their jelly bean eggs hidden all around the house for them to find when they get here. I've got a good meal planned for later on, with only one thing on the menu I can't eat, it'll be nice to eat the same thing with my family for a change. I even made myself a dessert so I didn't have to miss out on that. Other than that we plan on having a pretty relaxing day. Hope your day goes well!

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cheryl I'm glad you are having a good day with a meal you can actually share with your family -- and a dessert to boot! Now that is living!!

My EX was diagnosed with Type II (Adult onset) diabetes last week and is flipping out because for the first time ever he will have to watch what he is eating. With Type II the issues are lifestyle choices and he is going to have to make significant changes to stay healthy. The whole family is sorta holding their breath to see what he decides, but I'm not. Some folks follow the rules to stay well and others don't.

Maxi is keeping an eye on him, too.

We have such nice sunshine today, it is so lovely.

I'm a little frustrated. I risked life and limb getting in the shower alone... got in, got wet, and realized my girl had left BOTH of my shampoo bottles in the kitchen! With Maxi outside, there was no safe way to retrieve them. So I'm a clean me, but my hair isn't. Figures.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I normally don't like ham, but the spiral sliced hams are flavorful and lean and aren't too bad. The only thing I can't eat is my green bean casserole, but I'll probably cave and have a little and suffter the consequences. I love that stuff and it's really annoying that I can't eat it. I was really happy with the way my little french cake turned out but it needs something. I remembered I have rasberry sauce in the fridge so I'll probably put some of that on my cake. Speaking of showers, I should go do that before the kids get here. See you later!

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We love green bean casserole so I well understand you wanting to have at least just a bite. I would also if I were you.

I'm off to make some of Diane's cold pea salad. I thought I would wait until tomorrow but as it turns out, I am hungry for it now! lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Well, I'm clean and fed. The kids will be here in about 20 minutes and then my day will really start. Hope everyone has a great day, celebrations or not.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Cheryl--enjoy your day with the kids--
Merme--- be sure to eat some of that salad for me----

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi was supposed to be picked up at noon today. They JUST called (4:50 PM) and said they are on their way. They'll be here at 5:20 PM. I guess these people just don't know how to tell time. He's been waiting all day & I didn't plan anything for him this afternoon because I thought he'd be gone. It really aggravates me.

We've had a nice time, though. And better yet, his spring Break begins next week -- I think they have a half day on Wednesday or Thursday to start it off. He will be here throughout. YAY!

This morning I put two biscuits in the oven to bake and forgot all about them! By the time I finally smelled them cooking, well, can we all say "Hockey Puck?" lol Nice rich color, though!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi just left. Geez oh pete the house feels terribly empty the instant he walks out the door!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I bet it does, Merme. Except for school and occasional shopping trips, I am rarely without my sidekick. His presence is soul soothing.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Sorry you are missing Maxi already, Merme. But I'm glad he will be back soon for spring break!

I see Vanessa's name on the sidebar - HOWDY Vanessa!!! wavy
Long time no see - pull up a chair and chat with us? kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Boy it got really really cold here tonight! I'm shivering and am going to need two blankies if I relax on the couch!

And I'm definitely going to have some hot tea tonight, so I'll be skipping the wine... too bad I don't have the ingredients I need to make Hot Mulled Wine; that would be great! Or some Grand Mariner to make a Tea & Sympathy!

br-r-r-r!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image