Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20871 Apr 12th, 2007 at 06:03 PM
OP Offline
My next door neighbor has an old maple tree on their front lawn. We installed new sod 10 years ago, and the roots are now coming up and taking over my lawn. Any ideas on how I can get my lawn to grow back? I tried seeding last year but it didnt work out.

The neighbor loves the tree so it is staying.

1k Posts
1k Posts
That's a tough one, sure hope someone can help you with it.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'd cut the roots off on my side of the lawn and install a barrier. Is it only one tree?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by tamara
I'd cut the roots off on my side of the lawn and install a barrier. Is it only one tree?
that is exactly the solution. it won't kill the tree, but you will have to put a vertical barrier, depending on how deep the roots go.

Do you know what kind of Maple this is? If the roots are exposed on the soil surface how large are they? It's the nature of some maples to send roots to the surface for stability, these roots should not be removed unless absolutly necessary. Smaller water seeking roots mostly underground and far outside the dripline can be root pruned with no damage to a tree. What is the distance from the tree trunk to the root problem in your yard? The are many variables to consider when dealing with a mature tree. Some viruses are affecting maples and oaks in regions of the U.S. Check with your county extension office that you aren't in one of these area before cutting into an expose root.

I had exactly the same situation - close anyhow. No wonder our lawn dried quick. Roots from the sweet gum next door came over the property line, through the shrub bed and into the lawn.

If you ever check out the tree care album at my site, the root pruning and root barrier panel photo happens to be from our own yard.

Once we severed the roots, the tree could not draw our lawn's moisture anymore.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Coast Redwood Photos

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image