Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#270454 Mar 23rd, 2009 at 04:27 PM
Ashlee Offline OP
OP Offline
I am wondering if anyone knows the name of some good flavored, few or no seeds and very meaty tomatoes? Am looking for some to plant.
Thanks!

Ashlee #270520 Mar 23rd, 2009 at 09:29 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
well, for one thing, USA doesn't give us a lot of info to go by, but, do you want meaty, or tasty? Do you want tomatoes that are delicious fresh, or great for cooking/canning? As for plants from a nursery or garden store, Romas are good paste tomatoes, but I don't grow them much, there are better tomatoes for fresh eating, but Roma is fine for cooking, and available most everywhere as plants.

dave
Ashlee #272658 Apr 5th, 2009 at 06:29 PM
German Pink is an heirloom type that is pretty meaty.

dixiedazzle #272758 Apr 6th, 2009 at 07:04 PM
Black Krim is pretty ...and meaty ...lol fits my table top requirements just fine .....

dwolf419 #272788 Apr 7th, 2009 at 07:48 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I like the better boys, Brandywine and Arkansas traveler my self, I planted about 30 different kind this year gonna see what does the best, all are up (planted in paper cups) all are about 3-4 inches tall, hope they'll be a little taller when they get to go outside in a couple more weeks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #272789 Apr 7th, 2009 at 07:49 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Does anyone save their own seeds? I tried a batch last year the worked out great. Gonna try and save some to trade this year

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #272796 Apr 7th, 2009 at 09:28 AM
Yeah I save tomato seeds .....I just scrape the seeds off my cutting board onto a 2 ply paper towel ...."I am careful to cut one variety at a time"....and then set the towel up on my fridge top or onto my cabinet tops and let it dry ....when it is dry I seperate the ply and roll the towel up and store in paper bags until I want to start my plants the next year .....Then I just cut my towels into "seed tapes" and start in a shallow pan with my starting medium ...The pape towel disapears and I have never had a problem with germanation ... I have kept my wife's granny's heirloom rainbow tomato this way for 5 yrs.....she uses paper plates and scrapes them off but she was losing alot of seed to damage .....she now uses the paper towels too.....and I hope to trade every variety next year ..........

dwolf419 #272809 Apr 7th, 2009 at 10:46 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I did a different way to save mine last summer, said put in a shallow dish add a little water (enough to cover seeds) stir cover with plastic wrap and wait one week (stir everyday--I just slashed the seeds around) then rinse and dry on paper towels and they turn out like store bought seeds. I find too paper towels are best for the drying process...less sticking and easier to get off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #272828 Apr 7th, 2009 at 12:48 PM
mrw Offline
I also add the seeds to water, then drain and dry on wax paper. They do not stick at all, and when dry I transfer to paper envelopes and label. I have had a lot of success growing my tomatoes the past few years, and hope that this year will be good also. (If it ever gets warm here! )

wildwoman
mrw #272851 Apr 7th, 2009 at 03:35 PM
AHHHH grasshopper......wax paper is a great idea ......I will have to try this ..lol

dwolf419 #273324 Apr 9th, 2009 at 08:11 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
one method I've heard of is using a coffee filter instead of paper towels, the seeds come off easily...the traditional method is to put enough seed into a small cup or container, and only add liquid if needed, and stirring is not necessary, wait until some white mold forms on the surface, then strain the juice off and scrub the remaining gel off of the seed, the fermintation takes care of almost all residual disease spores or bacteria, and makes the gel coat easier to remove. There are many seed savers who simply scrub the seed with TSP, (a mild chemical cleaner,) and/or use a dillute bleach solution to kill bacteria/virus pathogens. Some even use Comet cleanser as a one step scrub and sterilizer, it can be as simple as that.
The thing to keep in mind when saving seed, is that hybrids are more likely to come back as something other than the tomato you save seed from, than the tomato you buy. OP's, open pollenated, tomatoes, should come back true to the named variety, and suzydaze mention of Brandywine and Arkansas Traveler are among my top 3, or 2, and those are open pollenated, so saving seed should be almost foolproof for coming true from saved seed, but keep in mind that days to maturity and production are affected by climate, so do a little research into your average last and first frost dates for your area, and keep in mind that most tomatoes pollenate and produce better in longer seasons with highs under 90 or so, and that in general, the wonderful Brandywine produces less in most cases than many varieties.

dave
mrw #273414 Apr 10th, 2009 at 07:29 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Originally Posted by mrw
I also add the seeds to water, then drain and dry on wax paper. They do not stick at all, and when dry I transfer to paper envelopes and label. I have had a lot of success growing my tomatoes the past few years, and hope that this year will be good also. (If it ever gets warm here! )

Hummmm...I'll have to try wax paper too...WOW

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image