Print Thread
Rate Thread
#271432 Mar 30th, 2009 at 07:48 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Today, as I was watering my houseplants, I noticed that my pot of indoor bulbs didn't look so good (I have been sick so have not been paying close attention)

upon inspection I find tiny bugs on the green---stems & leaves were just beginning. at first I broke off the 1 leaf that I thought was affected, put it in a plastic bag tied it shut and threw it in our trash----BUT---I soon found all 5 flowers were affected to some extent---I washed off the leaves & I did a poor job of and probably have just washed off all of the bugs to the dirt. so then I got out my insecticidal soap & sprayed the plants. it is now outside.

No, I do not have photo's sorry. it upset me so I just took action not thinking.
These "bugs" are very very small, less than 1/16th of an inch or so in size and "pinkish" in color. I had to get a magnifying glass to even be sure they were in fact bugs.

These bulbs were in the house with my other housepplants.
My question is do I discard the bulbs in favor of saving my other plants/flowers?? Do I discard the dirt as well??? Or is there something I can do to save the bulbs??---do I spray the dirt with insecticidal soap?? and what about my houseplants----I am ever so upset--HELP!!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #271434 Mar 30th, 2009 at 07:56 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm thinking your insecticidal soap should do the trick. If the bugs found your tulips indoors then your houseplant are as vulnerable. Insecticidal soap may be in order for them also after inspecting. The way I feel about bugs inside, they would certainly be sprayed. And one of the minor reasons that I don't have houseplants. (the major reason being that I kill them).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #271439 Mar 30th, 2009 at 09:04 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Insecticidal soap works, but letting the soil dry out a bit will also help some.

Some say washing the leaves real well will also do the trick. I'd advise you to spray the bugs with soap as often as the instructions allow you to spray them. Sometimes it takes a couple of sprays.

Hope someone can identify the bugs for you, then it's easier to decide what to do.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image