Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#225512 Jul 31st, 2008 at 06:53 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I was going to buy this last year, but if any of you remember, we had a 'white combine' take our 2000-acres of farmland in 15 minutes. Didn't do much of anything the rest of the year except insurance paperwork! Still have questions though about greenhouses. The last 3 years I have been starting my seeds in my basement furnace room and this spring was busting at the seams! I need my own place! But - I usually start most of my seeds in like Febr and March and I use shop lights above each of them. So - in a greenhouse - do you still hang shoplights above your plants, and do you need some sort of heater?

[Linked Image]

PattyM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hi there PattyM, now that I'm finally back in circulation again on the forum I saw this post. I'd like to answer some of your questions.

I do run a greenhouse, but I still start my seedlings here in the house. I don't quite trust the cold weather of Feb. and March when I start the seedlings to a greenhouse overnight. I'm not sure if my heater would keep the even temperature that it needs for seedlings.

My husband built me a cart to start my seedlings on with growing lights and it's working out just fine for me. Around April 15 I usually start my transplanting in the greenhouse. By then we have more sunshine and it's definitely warmer inside the greenhouse. I have not used growing lights in the greenhouse so far. But I do make sure that the seedlings once transplanted stay in the area where the sun hits the longest during the day.

Hope this helps you a bit even if its late.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image