Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26974 Apr 19th, 2007 at 07:33 PM
noob Offline OP
OP Offline
About 4 weeks ago (last week in March maybe) I started on a food garden by planting tomato and lettuce. To start them out I'm using egg cartons (the cardboard kind, not the Styrofoam) to plant my seeds in. I planted one seed per egg area. I followed the directions as far as how deep to plant the seed, kept it watered, plenty of sun, and out of the frost. For some reason I was expecting to have seen some form of life by now, but I haven't. Today I uncovered a couple of the seeds and they still look the same as the day I planted them. Have I done something wrong or am I just being to impatient?

Thanks

noob #27006 Apr 19th, 2007 at 08:40 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
They should have germinated by now. I'm not sure what the problem might be. Are the seeds old?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #27033 Apr 19th, 2007 at 09:19 PM
i did the same thing mine wher not growing either i had them in the kittchen window but then i had to move them so i put them on a shelve over my stove and a week later thy wher growing i think they wernt warm enough

5k Posts
5k Posts
I think that lettuce is cold tolerant. I don't know if it transplants well or not. But, usually, I sow it outdoors, directly where I'd like it to grow. Tomatoes aren't real picky about germinating, at least in my experience. What varieties are you trying to grow?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #27102 Apr 20th, 2007 at 04:35 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
One of the problems with egg cartons is keeping the potting soil moist. Both lettuce and tomatoes want it moist for germination. I found I had to mist them several times a day to keep them moist when I used egg cartons. This year I'm using yogurt cups and although it takes more potting soil I think it is well worth it. Even if I can't plop and drop when I transplant.

I would definitely start over and try again. The lettuce is planted on top of the soil. If that helps at all.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #27762 Apr 20th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
noob Offline OP
OP Offline
The tomato is Better Boy Hybrid and the lettuce is Bibb/Limestone.
I don't think the seeds are old. I just bought them and they are stamped "11/07"
I planted the lettuce 1/4" deep because that's what it said to do on the back of the package (right underneath where it says "Easy to grow. Guaranteed to grow." LOL).

If I start over do you think I could still use the same seeds?

Thanks for all your input.

noob #27777 Apr 20th, 2007 at 06:21 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
How did you cover them?
Or how deep?

And are they in light??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #28071 Apr 21st, 2007 at 05:24 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I would try using a different container. I would use a "light" seed starter potting soil for the lettuce and just pat them into the soil and not cover them at all. Use a misting bottle to water them so the seeds don't get washed over the side or to the edge of the container.

With the tomatoes I would be tempted to get different seeds. They are very hardy and usually will come up no matter what I do to them.

both should show themselves about 10 days after planting if not earlier.

You are starting these indoors right? If you are starting outdoors it may be the temperature that is keeping the seeds from germinating. Tomatoes like warm temperatures. And although lettuce is a cool weather crop I start it indoors too.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image