Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#269683 Mar 20th, 2009 at 08:17 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
My jade has developed some red spots on some of it's leaves. Is there something wrong or is this normal for a jade that get sunlight from a south window for a few hours and then I pull a sheer across for filtered sunlight later on in the afternoon.

One thing that is with this jade....it is the one I over-watered about a year ago and before I knew it most of the lower leaves had turned soft and later fell off. The trunk is still hard and lots of newer leaves are growing on it since I stopped watering it so much. But now these red spots????

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #269710 Mar 20th, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the tinges of red on the tips of the leaves is normal when the plant gets a good amount of sunlight...no need to pull the sheers over the window at all - the jade can certainly handle the sunlight!

now, the brown spots on the center portion of the leaves...i see them sometimes. could be burn spots if water splashed on the leaves and it hadn't dried up before the sun hit it. could also be some kind of fungal thing. does the plant get good air circulation in the spot it's in?

generally, it looks to be in very good condition!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #269860 Mar 21st, 2009 at 09:07 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Joclyn, my plant is the one I had over-watered for some time in the past and I have lost a lot of the lower leaves because of that. There are still some lower leaves that are not as firm as the top ones and then these red/brown dots appeared on the top of the plant.

The plant does get lots of good air circulation all the time.

I have removed some of the red/brown leaves because one of the first ones shriveled up and was ready to fall off so I removed it and some of the others that had lots of dots. Do you think I should remove all of the others or is there something else I could do?

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal #269881 Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i see those brown spots sometimes and i've never done anything about them...after a period of time (usually about a year or so) those leaves do die off. i've not had a severe issue with it spreading around the rest of the plant though - usually it's just one or two leaves and it doesn't spread any further.

as long as there's good air circulation then there's not much else to do. i suppose you could treat with a fungicide. i've never done that though, so i don't know if it would actually be a benefit or not. i'd think about it, though, if the brown spots keep spreading to other leaves.

pulling off leaves that are clearing in the dieing process is always a good idea - then the plant isn't being drained by trying to provide nutrition to parts that won't benefit. taking leaves off jades can also help promote branching (doesn't always, though).

Zone 6b
Joclyn #269893 Mar 21st, 2009 at 12:52 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
The brown spots are definitely spreading, so I'm going to take off the ones I see and then see what will happen.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image