Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#269149 Mar 16th, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
I just inherited a "Baby luv" orange tree and a lemon tree. They are about 3-4 feet high... Someone mentioned that I could use large wine buckets, will they still grow fruit if I do?
Also I looked for the portal or forum that deals with citrus trees. zoinkCan someone tell me where it is? I need a lot of info on how to take care of them... I am sure it is covered somewhere on here, but I just seem to be overlooking it. Thank you so much!
:wink:

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #269151 Mar 16th, 2009 at 10:27 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #269158 Mar 16th, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Jonni! I saw in the link that they are talking about dwarf citrus trees.. I think the ones I have are full size trees, but are just still young. Would the info be the same?

[Linked Image]

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #269183 Mar 16th, 2009 at 03:46 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The info would be the same or similar until those trees outgrow your home. I haven't a clue to what zone you are in. If your wine barrels will be indoors or out.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #269209 Mar 16th, 2009 at 05:11 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, great! Thank you so much!

[Linked Image]

Eva #269414 Mar 17th, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to whoever moved this.. I must have over looked the whole citrus section, LOL.
I am in zone 10a and I plan to have them outside. ANy of tips, please let me know. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Eva #309794 Mar 11th, 2010 at 03:33 PM
I want to mix my own lemon fertilizer using Epsom salt, fishmeal, dried blood, composted manure, wood ash, and bone meal.

Can anyone come up with a measurement, say in cups, for a potted Meyer lemon tree?

OldGardener #309795 Mar 11th, 2010 at 03:52 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well citrus trees have a 3-1-1 ratio(I'm pretty sure, anyway). That's 3 parts Nitrogen to 1 part phosphorus and 1 part potassium....but it's going to be hard to get an exact recipe using all of the above.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #309810 Mar 11th, 2010 at 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I can mix up that ratio but I thought we might have a chemist or formulator that could be rather exact.

OldGardener #309811 Mar 11th, 2010 at 06:14 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, you could wait a few days..a few of the others might have a response for you. I live where citrus trees do not grow so I'm just giving you the info I have on hand thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #309812 Mar 11th, 2010 at 09:20 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am looking, I found this
" *
Citrus trees are very hungry feeders with high requirements for trace elements. A regular spray with a seaweed fertiliser such as Natrakelp will supply trace elements. Fertilise citrus trees in April/May; always water the tree well after fertilising. Never place fertiliser close to the trunk or in heaps, spread it as evenly as possible to just past the drip-line of the tree. Compost or animal manures can be used starting with about 4 kg for a 1-year-old tree to 20 kg for a mature 8-year-old tree. In November/December apply lime or dolomite if necessary to correct the pH.
Blood and bone contains mainly nitrogen and phosphorus, boost it into a more ‘complete’ fertiliser by adding a ¼ cup of sulphate of potash to every kilo of blood and bone."
And this
" A tree that is one to two years old will need from one quarter to one half pound of fertilizer, spread throughout the year.

For trees two to three years old, you can expect to use from one half pound to three quarters of a pound.

Three- to four-year-old trees need from three quarters of a pound to a pound and a half.

Trees four to five years old use from one to two pounds of fertilizer.

Five- to six-year-old trees need one pound and a quarter to two and a half pounds a year.

Adult trees may use anywhere from one and a half pounds to three pounds.

All amounts are spread out over the year. Divide each amount by three and space fertilizer applications evenly throughout the season."
And this
"1

Supply a good source of nitrogen because it is the biggest requirement of citrus trees. Nitrogen is not hard to find as a soil amendment, and keeping it organic is as simple as applying grass clippings from a lawn grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides or herbicides. If you keep animals, the composted manure is an excellent nitrogen source.

Step 2

Apply a good source of phosphorus for good flower and fruit production. Bone meal tends to be the best source, but because you cannot guarantee that it is organic, another recommended source is phosphate rock. It will also add calcium to the soil, and you don't have to worry about it burning the roots of your citrus tree.

Step 3

Add a good all-purpose composted humus to make sure all the other nutrients are present for the citrus tree's growth. If you make your own humus, you can guarantee that it is organic. Use your own ground leaves and lawn clippings, and give them enough time to turn into rich dark humus.

Step 4

Work all of the above fertilizers into the soil around the tree. Citrus trees do not like mulch, as it encourages mold growth, and do like to have good drainage to keep their roots dry. Do not dig so deep as to disturb the roots.

Step 5

Apply a compost tea to the leaves of the tree by spraying it during your fertilizing routine. This will supply all the nutrients necessary for quick absorption through the leaves. You might have to use a pressurized system to spray the foliar fertilizer to the top of larger trees."
I have not been able to find a specific recipe using your ingredients.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Eva #346706 Aug 1st, 2011 at 01:58 AM
wow thanks for the links Tina I've learn enought I'm going to pick up a few more ornge trees and a couple lemons

Eva #379399 Dec 21st, 2013 at 08:53 PM
I was wondering... are citrus trees hard to grow? Is climate really that important for them? I have found one site with list of trees, www.treestypes.com, it has citrus trees as well, and I am interested in some citrus trees that are there, so I was wondering if you can tell me your opinions about them? What do you think?

Eva #379400 Dec 21st, 2013 at 10:29 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome from citrus country in Southern California. Climate is important to citrus. But I have friends in Oregon and other cooler zones that are successfully growing citrus in dwarf form in pots that they tuck into greenhouses to winter over. Citrus is an evergreen tree and the leaves and fruit can freeze pretty easily, even here and in Florida where they are mostly commercially grown.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image