Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hadeda Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20090306/tc_pcworld/windows7sieoffswitchwhattooksolong

A rare and good move from Microsoft, that option I will definitely be using since I'm not a IE junkware fan(Still wish they made that option available in XP ). thumbup lol

Windows 7 is starting to sound good to me idea

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
why don't you like IE? That's what I've always used but I don't know anything about computers and cyber stuff.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
why don't you like IE? That's what I've always used but I don't know anything about computers and cyber stuff.

I'm not really a fan of IE; I use firefox instead

I'm not too sure of the technical stuff...but the guy who fixes our computer problems says its easier to fix firefox than IE. He also said that because 1) less people spend time making viruses to attack firefox users 2) firefox isn't supposed to be 'related' to windows microsoft, and 3) firefox is supposed to be faster (which I find true...if I was to navigate to this forum it takes about twice the time on IE)

firefox also has tabs so you can open multiple sites in one browser/window as opposed to need one window for each site :)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
IE game on my system. Can I just remove it and download firefox?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you don't have to remove it to install firefox. at work, we are required to use firefox and i only have one site i access on ie. everything else is firefox based.

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Kenny, I also use Firefox....it blocks pop-ups ALOT better than IE does.

I keep IE on the computer because some sites do not work well with it. Sometimes when I want to order something online it freezes up or doesn't work period. Then I have to switch over to IE. I also use IE for the online community that I volunteer for. My "hat" user name is used with firefox and my "play" user name is used with IE so that the cookies are stored separately and I don't end up posting in my "hat" on a board that isn't mine (I guess this wouldn't really make sense to people who have no clue as to what I'm talking about).

I did want to add that IE now has tabbed browsing.

[Linked Image]
Hadeda Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts

I find IE hangs a lot and I'm not too sure if I can trust it... On the other hand Firefox is opensource which means anyone can download the code have change it. Folks can clearly see that Firefox isn't spying on you while we don't know anything about IE's code. I also find IE tends to hang a lot with me.

Originally Posted by kennyso
I'm not really a fan of IE; I use firefox instead

I'm not too sure of the technical stuff...but the guy who fixes our computer problems says its easier to fix firefox than IE. He also said that because 1) less people spend time making viruses to attack firefox users 2) firefox isn't supposed to be 'related' to windows microsoft, and 3) firefox is supposed to be faster (which I find true...if I was to navigate to this forum it takes about twice the time on IE)

firefox also has tabs so you can open multiple sites in one browser/window as opposed to need one window for each site :)

Correct :)

I also love the extensions and themes

[Linked Image]
My customised firefox

IE game on my system. Can I just remove it and download firefox?

You can't remove IE unless you have windows 7... but you can install firefox and make it the default browser grin
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
you don't have to remove it to install firefox. at work, we are required to use firefox and i only have one site i access on ie. everything else is firefox based.

I respect your system administrator grin Don't find too many wise ones that like Firefox grin

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i was at work not working (on my lunch break) and logged in to a website that i visit occasionally and it seemed to be hung up (i was on firefox) then firefox flashed a message that the site i was trying to log into wasn't the "real" site, it was a lookalike designed to steal passwords.

since then, i've never used a link to get to that site, but rather typed in the address myself, AND i use firefox exclusively at home. i was very impressed with the catch that firefox did.

it alerted me that the link i thought was real wasn't. so, it saved me (and anyone who would have been "friended" by me on that site) some aggravation at best and loss of data at worst.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Firefox is the best! And more secure. I will never use IE again.

Hadeda Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I find I use all three buttons on the mouse when I'm using firefox grin

I love the middle mouse button especially grin

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I customize my Firefox also...right now I have a pinkish window and the buttons are bees. i was actually just getting ready to change it to something else. I used to have cats on it...and while firefox was loading a page, there was a cat in the one area that played with a ball....soo cute!

[Linked Image]
Hadeda Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Originally Posted by hisgal2
I customize my Firefox also...right now I have a pinkish window and the buttons are bees. i was actually just getting ready to change it to something else. I used to have cats on it...and while firefox was loading a page, there was a cat in the one area that played with a ball....soo cute!

I found your theme neener: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6661

Here's the two cat themes you were talking about
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/812
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/104

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
You found the newer version of the bees. I have the older version. And also with the cats..I used the red cats version and it was also an older version.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Hadeda showed a screen shot of how he has firefox customized. After I described the "theme" that I have my firefox customized with, he was able to find the theme. Tho, the ones that he found are the updated versions. Mine is slightly different.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image