Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Those of you below zones 8,9, & 10 have probably already potted up or have brought in your potted up Brugs for the winter,
It won't be long now that I will have to cut mine back and Cover ,, last year I believe it was in the latter part of November early Dec,,
This year again I'm getting another flush of blooms ,
here is the unnamed pink I discovered today,, and another day or two and it will be full of blooms,,,,,,,

[Linked Image]

I really didn't expect another flush of blooms on the snowcone But she sure did give them to me, just a few grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane - that is fantastic!!! Especially after you had to cut them way back earlier this past summer when they were covered in bugs. Can't wait to see the unnamed pink in full bloom again!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Oooops - forgot to add this...

Yesterday morning when I was opening the window blinds in front of where I brought in the Adora main stem, I saw something sticking up out of the soil. When I pushed some of the soil away, I found 2 new growth spurts coming out - they look pretty healthy too. YEA Adora!!! Maybe next year I'll get to see one actually bloom open! I have a better spot that I am going to plant her out into, and hopefully she will get more sun there too.

New growth from under soil...
[Linked Image]

New growth on top of cut back trunk...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
awesome Lynne!!!!! Good that your getting more sprouts from the base, you'll have lots of blooms if it keeps this up!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
That's a beautiful plant, angelblossom. I looked them up, and I see they are a native of South America. I will check our local nursery to see if we can get them here. Always room for just one more plant....

Eternity
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Stevie, They are an awesome plant to have!!!!!!!

This picture was Friday evening the buds were beginning to bloom,,,

[Linked Image]

yesterday we got a deep freeze warning,,,,,,,, I had to go bundle them up,, but I couldn't cover the very top I couldn't reach that high boohoo
I ended up covering everything that would die if it wasn't protected,, I think I used 5 sheets and 2 moving blankets 3 pillow cases and one bed blanket, egad it's supposed to be back in the 70's this week nights in the 50's,,,,

[Linked Image]
here is the bloom close up for those of you that haven't seen it,
[Linked Image]

so I will still wait to cut the brugs down,,,,,
I'm going to need a list of all who want a cutting of the unnamed pink . you will need to place in water to root then into a 4in pot and gradually repot to 6 in to 10 to gallon size untill spring in your area to put out side,
as soon as I cut this down I will be mailing out so PM me with your address if your want a cutting,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I'll have to check mine out Diane. I'm not sure if it was freezing last night or not but right now it's 44 degrees. I had some large buds they were opening up. boohoo

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
44 degrees they should be fine,,,,,, I don't cover mine unless it dips lower than 38 ( without high winds tho, windchill will do damage too,, ) it did freeze last night but right now it is already 72 touched

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
this is after the freeze,,,, even tho I covered it the very top wasn't covered and cold air got inside a lot was damaged,,,,, boohoo but the main branches are okay which means it didn't do major damage,, lost a lot of the 1/2 opened blooms, this is how it looks today,
So I guess I need to go cut off the damaged thinner branches, badday lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
oh my--well at least you saved some of it, Diane.

and perhaps next year I will take a cutting. But I do not know how "able" I am going to be next spring-summer. They sure are beautiful though.

I love seeing the photos

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
this is after the freeze,,,, even tho I covered it the very top wasn't covered and cold air got inside a lot was damaged,,,,, boohoo but the main branches are okay which means it didn't do major damage,, lost a lot of the 1/2 opened blooms, this is how it looks today,
So I guess I need to go cut off the damaged thinner branches, badday lol

[Linked Image]

You did a valiant job protecting it- sounds like you emptied your linen closet! If I were in the US, I would definitely take you up on the offer of a cutting grin.

Eternity
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I imagine they would do well for you Stevie,,,,,,, I [i][/i]do send out of the country,, but I don't know if a cutting would survive the trip I sent some to Canada last year some made it while others didn't,,, I don't know what customs would do about them entering your country either,, nervous

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes, I'm not sure about that, angelblossom. I just assumed they wouldn't get through customs without a lot of trouble. But I'm going to ask about them during my next trip to the nursery. Haven't been for a while, too many bills zoink.

Eternity
1k Posts
1k Posts
Good thing is that you can grow brugmansias from seed.

Waiting for fall...
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by emdeGardener2
Good thing is that you can grow brugmansias from seed.

I'm gonna do it! I looked up brugmansias in Australia, and it looks like I can get them. Also found some beautiful frangipanis at

http://www.sacredgardenfrangipanis.com/

Eternity
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
the frangipani's are exquisitely beautiful! but also very expensive,, boohoo Please let know Stevie if you get any of those, grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
They are still beautiful Diane!
I know how hard it is to give them up for winter - I had to give up many many buds still on the plant when we got our first freeze - fortunately the main plants are growing nicely indoors in pots so far.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
the frangipani's are exquisitely beautiful! but also very expensive,, boohoo Please let know Stevie if you get any of those, grin

They are very expensive! I am just about to head down to the nusery and see if they can get any brugmansias and frangipanis in, preferably for much less $. I'll let you know if I'm successful. Then my biggest problem would be finding a place to put them!

Eternity
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Luck Stevie!!!!!!!! Believe me IF they have them you'll find a place to put them, thumbup lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Good Luck Stevie!!!!!!!! Believe me IF they have them you'll find a place to put them, thumbup lol

Thanks, angelblossom! They have some frangipanis; I bought one called 'fruit salad'. It has dark pink, white and yellow on its flowers. No flowers yet, but from memory, they have a beautiful scent.

I asked them to order me in a brug with white double flowers, if they can get it. Did you see that one in the brochure? It's at

http://www.sacredgardenfrangipanis.com/angels-trumpets/04-angels_trumpets.htm

Eternity
2k Posts
2k Posts
Hi ya'll long time no see.

Hi stevie,you should check out BGI (Brugmansia Growers International)I'm a member there.The site has a list of brug sources in case have missed one for your area.You have one on your side of the pond I'd love.Canary yellow.Its a double yellow brugmansia and has a good shade of yellow to it.I'll have to look up the bookmark on my other PC for the site.you'd be able to order from it....just not me.
I have a seed pod on Dr suess and would be glad to send you some seeds when its ready.It still has around at least 3 months left.

I have one plumeria& its not bloomed yet for me.next year I'm takeing out of pot and planting instead of sinking the whole pot.

I've added photos in photobucket from this year.Under brugmasia is another albulm for 2008.
I've been busy since Thanksgiving...grandkids came(3 of 9)And bought rock band for my Wii on Black Friday.Its awesome.I play it at least 4 hours a day.I play drums in my dreams.lol

I got brugs bloomin in GH.Bolero x AQ 1 bloom,Jamicia yellow about 7 left.Had a bloom on Betty Marshall during Thanksgiving and pollinated it with Jamicia yellow.
I've gotton 2 new brugs for next year so far.New Orleans Lady(DB orange)Desiree(Triple Orange) I think I killed my golden lady(DB yellow) cuttings.whats left smells.

Hi Dianne!Looks like our winter has arrived huh.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Here is my pot of Charles Grimaldi which is sitting inside my basement sliding glass doors. It only gets the setting winter sun, but bright light reflected off the snow this winter. We never put the heat up in the basement so the main temperature there is usually 63 degrees.

He is getting to big, I hope we can bring him back outside in May!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
that's one healthy looking plant. Will you leave Charles in the pot and bring him in again next winter?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OMGosh Lynne Charles Looks Great!!!!!!!!!!!, It may even bloom in the house if you feed it!!!!!! It certainly wouldn't hurt grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Sheri, Diane and Cindy!

Sheri - Charles will go back outside and into the ground in the pond garden, where he bloomed so nicely last summer. I have a feeling he will be far too big to bring inside in a pot again next fall, so I might have to take cuttings earlier than I did this past fall. Most of my cuttings were mushy and didn't make it, because I was hoping that the blooms would open before I had to cut the stems to bring indoors. I waited too long and we had a frost.

That said though... I do have 3 nice Adora cuttings with nice long roots.
I will be planting her in more sun this summer in hopes of seeing some blooms - never did get to see any of her buds open last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Will Charles die if you leave him out all winter?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Yes he will here in zone 6, Sheri.

I'm so excited!!! I just looked at Charles in the basement - I have to turn the pot every few days because he really wants to go outside, and is growing towards the window very strongly now. BUT... I just saw that the tallest stem has a Y already!!! WOW! Maybe it will actually send out some buds while still inside!

I'm a little nervous about when it's time to move him back into the pond garden - he's so very big now, I hope Don will be able to manage to get him back into the ground without breaking off these large stems and leaves...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I didnt water mine in the basement , but they do have leaves .....

Only question, will it bloom quicker if it is that large in may ?
Just wondering ?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Dodge - I've always heard that they start blooming after they grow a Y, so that is why I am so happy about having seen one today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Last summer I had one started and tall......It never bloomed.

The ones that were newbies, bloomed in sept oct.. very late.
Gad I was mad.

Pots this time.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
When I planted mine out last year, they were six inxh stubs with a few leaves at the very top. The lost all their leaves when i put them outside! I have blooms starting in August. I put in tomato fertilizer spikes (Jobe's...they're about 2" long, something like 19/packet when I bought them...$2.99 or so). The grew to almost as tall as me..I was 6' 6'1" last year.

I found that the blooms come right from the Y where the three stems meet. They seems to need a lot more watering when the buds starts or it takes forever for it to swell

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Ohhhhhhhhh Kenny - I hope mine doesn't lose all its leaves - there are a bunch of very large ones on this plant - I'd say about 10 inches long right now!!! Mine also bloomed in August, but since it is forming a Y now, I'm hoping it might bloom a bit earlier this year?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Even mine in the ground outside lose all of their leaves every year. But they come back beautifully. They tend to bloom with the moon. So when the moon is at it's fullest so are the trees.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Ohhhhhhhhh Kenny - I hope mine doesn't lose all its leaves - there are a bunch of very large ones on this plant - I'd say about 10 inches long right now!!! Mine also bloomed in August, but since it is forming a Y now, I'm hoping it might bloom a bit earlier this year?

I just saw your picture...wow! Mine have never looked that healthy lol The leaves on mine were/are smaller compared to yours...but I didn't fertilize much and they had very little light inside. I think I didn't harden them off well enough or i was too quick to move them to the ground. They might bloom inside for you if you give them lots of light, water and fertilizer (a low first number :D) I'm not sure if they'll bloom earlier outside...i think it depends on how quickly they get settled in. Mine always grow faster with more heat.

I've heard about 'moon gardening' but I've never been able to figure how it worked. I think it's sorta like how the moon affects the ties. I've heard that nocturnal flowers bloom the best with a full moon and won't bloom during a new moon

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Tell me more, I am all ears....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image