Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264982 Feb 25th, 2009 at 08:33 AM
bjd Offline OP
OP Offline
I have this jade plant in my house and I have kind of adopted it from my boyfriend. He isn't much for taking care of plants so I started about 3 years ago. This plant has been in the family for years and has been doing fine until this year. It has these bumps on the leaves and it isn't just one or two leaves it on all of the leaves. They are dark green and raised off the leaves there isn't anything on my other jade plants so I am confused of what it could be. I looked around on the internet a bit to see if there were any answers but I couldn't find any so I am now begging for your help. PLEASE help me.

The Jade Lady.

bjd #265006 Feb 25th, 2009 at 02:55 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Hi Jade Lady!

I certainly do not clain to be an expert on here, but I do love my Jade plant! It is 2 or 3 years old, and I have several pieces off of it growing well, plus new babies started at the base of two leaves I poked into the soil. I would die if anything happened to it.

So, as soon as I read this I jumped on the internet to see what I could find (in case this happened to mine also!!).

Here is what I found. Read and see if this sounds like what you might have.
The treatment sounds good because this pretty much describes how mine live.
They get eastern morning sun, indoors, slightly back from the window, then filtered light until dark. I only water once every week or week and a half, and I do let them have ventilation. I also keep my leaves all dusted or wiped clean. Mine are quite healthy. So read what this says about how to restore them to health.

As you will see, this is about a variety of plants, but Jade is specifically mentioned.

I certainly hope this helps you!

What I Found:

Bumps on Jade Leaves
Oedema occurs when roots take up water faster than it can be used by the plant or transpired through the leaves. Water pressure then builds up in the mesophyll or internal cells of the leaf causing them to enlarge and form tiny swollen blisterlike areas.
Oedema appears as small, sometimes corky blisters which form on the lower surface of leaves or needles . These blisters may eventually harden to form white, tan, or brown wartlike corky bumps on the lower leaf surface. In severely affected plants these corky growths also form on petals, petioles, and stems. As injury continues, leaves turn yellow, droop, and fall off. Plants become spindly and growth ceases..

Oedema is most prevalent in the late winter especially during extended periods of cool, cloudy weather. It is likely to develop when the soil is warm and moist and the air is cool and moist. This environment results in rapid water absorption from the soil and slow water loss from the leaves. These conditions are most frequently encountered in greenhouses or indoor situations rather than outdoors. Geraniums, rhododendrons, begonias, pansies, violets, and certain fleshyleaved plants such as jade and peperomia are particularly sensitive to conditions which lead to the development of oedema, although almost any broadleaved plant may be affected. Vegetables such as cabbage and tomato can also be affected.
Overwatering, high humidity, and low light intensities are factors which favor the development of oedema. Avoid overwatering susceptible plants especially during the winter months when they should be kept slightly on the dry side. Keep the relative humidity below 70% in the winter. Improve the flow of air over the leaves by spacing plants farther apart and increasing ventilation. Affected plants often recover from oedema with the return of more favorable growing conditions in spring and early summer. Gradually increasing the exposure to sunlight is beneficial and will help avoid sunscorch when plants are moved outdoors

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
bjd Offline OP
OP Offline
Shirley 4,

Thank you very much for the information. I will try this and see if it works. I do know that our house has become more humid in the winter months and the boyfriend has closed the blinds by the plant so I will change that when I get home.

Thanks again.

Jade Lady

bjd #265110 Feb 26th, 2009 at 01:03 PM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
thumbup Good luck!

I don't know if it will heal all the leaves that already have the problem, but if they go bad and fall off, at least you'll know where and how to keep it healthy.....it would eventually put out new shoots and leaves, but those take soooooo long to grow!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I am truly surprised no on else has offered anything here.

If you are still checking your post here, I have another suggestion, since you are new here.....over on the right side in the box which says Forum Search type in Jade and click search and you will get GOBS and GOBS of information about Jade plants which so many on here have posted. This would be a continuing help to you, I'm sure.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image