Page 1 of 2 1 2
#264435 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 06:23 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
This year, Lent is from February 25th (Ash Wednesday) until April 12 (Easter). Although this time period has religious significance for Christians, the word "Lent" actually means "Lengthening of Days." So whether you observe it in a religious way or not, the days are getting longer as we move towards spring.

In our faith tradition, we like to distinguish this time of year by utilizing certain Lenten Observances but clearly there are as many ways to "observe Lent" as there are people to observe it! A do your own thing sort of season!

For us, we like to consider this a more reflective, contemplative time. We prefer to simplify overwhelmed schedules. We like to simplify meals. We like to dig into a book -- something on spirituality or perhaps a lifestyle self help book (Lent is a great time to deal with troublesome habits!). It is nice also to gather weekly with a few friends for a study group. For some, this is also a season to be more dedicated to charitable giving. (The money saved through less elaborate meals & smaller entertainment goes into a fund to feed the poor, for instance). Maxi likes to put coins in a special collection box at each meal, saying aloud something he is thankful for about his own life.

In my church, our priest puts branches in a vase of water at the altar. I think they are some variety of willow. They look dead as can be... all scraggily and bare.... like brambles one might burn. But over the days of Lent those branches start to green up & bloom. It is a very nice visual reminder that the "death of winter" can't hold back the "new life of spring".

For those of us in colder climates, Lent is special as well for dreaming of the next garden. seed catalogs and graph paper can be a welcome relief on these cold evenings spent at home when the final storms of winter pass through.

I haven't yet decided how I will observe Lent this year... I'm still considering the options! But Maxi has picked something very interesting. I will let him tell you about it though.

So what about you all? What do you do at this special time of year that really speaks to you about the coming of spring and the possibilities of new life?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #264505 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 01:58 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Mere, I've never observed Lent. I know one year a doctor at work gave up caffeine for Lent and was sick as a dog for 2 weeks. What are some of the things you've done? Should it involve giving up something?

Bestofour #264516 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 03:15 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, you are right, Sheri. Some people like to "make a Lenten Sacrifice".

In the past, Maxi has given up chocolate -- in any form! and his favorite snack crackers. The kid has character, though, and he is unshakeable once he decides.

For several years in a row, I have given up potatoes which is harder than you might think because before I started dialysis I typically ate a potatoe or potatoe product at every meal. I also quit smoking for Lent one year. Don't know yet what I am going to do this year.

Maybe I'll give up swearing.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #264523 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 03:50 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm just thinking I don't want to give up caffeine. I'm sure I should but I don't think I can do it with the right attitude. Maybe chocolate, which I eat every day.

Bestofour #264534 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 04:17 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Chocolate might be a good one, Sheri. What will you do with the $$ you'll save?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264549 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 05:03 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
are we supposed to give it to the church or buy more Pepsi with it? angel

Bestofour #264560 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 05:26 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
pEOPLE younger than 18 do not have to give up stuff. Just 18 -59 year olds must.

In our area..........
i doubt if lots do .....Not like when we grew up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Bestofour #264570 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 06:01 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

Actually, Sheri, it is entirely up to you! Many people just pick a cause that is close to their heart... and donate to that.

Barb I never ever heard that anyone under 18 was exempt from observing Lent. All the young children I know, including my son since he was about 3, observe Lent in any way that is suitable for them. Parents do tend to keep an eye on the young ones and make sure they don't pick anything unhealthy or unhelpful, but we also try to encourage them & strengthen them in their devised efforts for piety. Family devotions during Lent also help, particularly if they include discussions.

At the very least, it is character building to practice a little self restraint for 6 weeks each year.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264571 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 06:04 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
we've had years where we observe lent, and others where we don't. and some with my kids and some without. this will be a "don't" year for me personally but i don't know what the household is doing. or the girls.

Merme #264572 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 06:12 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Originally Posted by Bestofour

Actually, Sheri, it is entirely up to you! Many people just pick a cause that is close to their heart... and donate to that.

Barb I never ever heard that anyone under 18 was exempt from observing Lent. All the young children I know, including my son since he was about 3, observe Lent in any way that is suitable for them. Parents do tend to keep an eye on the young ones and make sure they don't pick anything unhealthy or unhelpful, but we also try to encourage them & strengthen them in their devised efforts for piety. Family devotions during Lent also help, particularly if they include discussions.

At the very least, it is character building to practice a little self restraint for 6 weeks each year.

Merme

I am referring to Fasting.......It was in my chuch bulliten last nite..
It says .THOSE WHO ARE 18-59 ARE OBLIGATED TO FAST......

I actually fast all year......I do not eat meat on fridays, just like in the olden days........
Ps my hubby and son arent catholic.. Hubby still fasts with me tho.

SOrry .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264574 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Oh, I see.

I would not allow Maxi to do a 24 hour fast, but I would let him fast one meal.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264580 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 07:39 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh my gosh. Is it for 6 weeks!!!!! No chocolate for 6 weeks. No wonder that person at work was sick as a dog without caffeine. It was for 6 weeks instead of 2. Good grief. Can I go without chocolate for 6 weeks???????

Bestofour #264581 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 07:40 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
maybe I can give up house cleaning.

Bestofour #264584 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 07:44 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
lol

Sheri Maxi always asks if he can give up vegetables or school! haha I always tell him there is no sacrifice if you give up something you dislike!

You can manage without chocolate for 6 weeks, I know you can. Maxi gave up chocolate when he was 5 and again when he was 7. You can do it!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264598 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 08:43 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
it is not avery common thing for us to give up something for Lent.---some of the members of my church do but it is not required. I never have--my best friend often does.

This is the second year that I have not been in the choir during the Lenten season.--Aside from the extra church services, & the Church dinners before hand I will likley not do much.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #264604 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 09:07 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Carol ~ Lent isn't just about "giving up something". It can also be about ADDING something. Trying out a new spiritual practice or discipline... a concerted effort at meditating perhaps, or listening to a new type of worship music, for instance.

Other times "giving up" something can be complex... such as giving up one's discomfort by going to a local soup kitchen & serving meals. Or daily crafting something prayerfully to be donated. You see?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264612 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 09:20 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I understand completely Merme....You are right in what you say and suggest.

I Was just saying I/we do not so much.
My DH went to a parochial school the first 8 years of his schooling. Our Girls went to the same school all 9 years (Kindergarten was added) Then they went to Lutheran High school and both ended up going to Lutheran universities. I taught Sunday School for 18 years, Have volunteered and was paid as an Aide at said school, belonged to choir for many years (as a matter of fact until this string of surgeries), I belong to Ladies aide and have chaired many fundraisers. I do understand I just do not do the sacrifice part. I think that if anyone wants to that is a good and wonderful & devoted thing to do...

________

Merme #264618 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 09:47 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts

Carol as I said in my first post, Lent isn't just about religion and religious practices.

So what about you all? What do you do at this special time of year that really speaks to you about the coming of spring and the possibilities of new life?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264619 Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:45 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Around where I live lent has always been a religious thing. Mostly Catholics I believe--right?......I know an old friend of mine always gave up something each year and she's Catholic. growing up in my Methodist church nobody every partook in Lent that I knew.

Interesting to think about what I'd give up....probably soda. That would be a huge struggle for me.

#264636 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 06:55 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
What happen to cigarettes ?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264643 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 08:10 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I decided I couldn't give them up Barb. egad

#264649 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 08:42 AM
I don't ever remember giving anything up for Lent. Not even as a kid. But I have been thinking about it for the last week, trying to figure out what would be the ONE thing that would be a supreme sacrifice.

I have already given up my cell phone and TV...no money to pay for them right now. Hubby and I have pretty much given up on going out on "dates" and eating out...no money for that either. I already go through the stuff in my house and donate it to Goodwill when it becomes unuseful/unloved to me or my family, so that wouldn't work. I rarely eat chocolate, so that doesn't fit. My caffine...while I COULD give it up, I would be in bed with migraines without it, and with high blood pressure already...I don't need the added stress. This is supposed to be something that is going to benefit you in the long run, not make you sicker! I could try to quit smoking...again. I could donate the money saved to one of the missions that our church supports. That would benefit me AND soomeone else. I could give up swearing. I could give up yelling at the kids when they get on my nerves. I could give up my feelings of martyrdom, and just do things in the house because they bless my family, instead of gripeing about how I'm the only one who ever does anything around here.

I could add exercise to my daily routines. I could take a walk everyday, rain or shine, and enjoy what God has created for us. I could add visiting with the shut-in members of our church each week. I could add volunteering more in my childrens' classrooms each week. I could write a letter each day to a soldier overseas. I could invite someone to come eat with us each week that doesn't have family to share that special time with. I can cook a meal and deliver it to the local fire station each week. Preferably on days that hubby isn't there, seeings how he gets my home cooking every day anyway! LOL I could offer to run errands or take someone to run errands that otherwise might not have a way to get things done. I could volunteer at our local soup kitchen. I could volunteer my time to our church.

I like the idea of possibly giving something up as well as adding something during Lent. Seems it would be more rounded that way. Basically replace something that you will have a hard time giving up and would miss with something that would benefit someone else and also make you feel good about what you have accomplished. I still have a few more days to think about this, and it's getting more and more difficult to make up my mind! LOL

Annette

gwhalh #264651 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 08:48 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Loz I am not Catholic. Although I am Episcopalian, my background includes both Methodist & Presbyterian.... both of which included some observances of Lent.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything to do with gardening! lol

You had some nice ideas, Annette.

Maxi has given me permission to tell y'all what he has decided to do for Lent this year and I'll write about it when I get home from dialysis tonight.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#264656 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 09:19 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
I decided I couldn't give them up Barb. egad

Sorry Loz,

Some can an others not.
When we got our mortgage, we quit cold turkey.. I cheated a few but finally quit..
Saved us $$$$$$

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264661 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:41 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I have never given up anything for Lent besides not eating meat on Fridays. I don't always follow that either. I try to though. I believe that is more of a Catholic thing and maybe that is what you are thinking of, Loz. why When we are with James' mom on a Friday and she sees someone eating meat she says...they must be Lutheran. lol She is not trying to be mean and is not saying it in a bad way...it is just that she is a strict Catholic and believes that every Catholic gives up meat on Fridays so if they are eating meat they must be a different religion. She scolds us if she sees us eating meat.

#264667 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:54 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
All of the little rules in different religions are so strange aren't they? I wonder why there is no eating meat on just a Friday? What is it supposed to symbolize?

I really always thought Lent was only for Catholics because I've never known anyone in any of the 3 Methodist churches I've been in to give up anything for Lent. I didn't even learn of Lent until I met my Catholic friend and every year she'd tell me what she was giving up. For years I've really thought it was only a Catholic religious thing because of that.....

Merme #264674 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
lol

Sheri Maxi always asks if he can give up vegetables or school! haha I always tell him there is no sacrifice if you give up something you dislike!

Merme

I was afraid that you were gonna say that. tears

I do want to sacrifice something for Lent since the greatest sacrifice was given for me. My life has been out of control for years and I need to take it back and get myself together. I'm too old to be floundering. I want this to mean something so I'm not sure that chocolate is my answer. I will think about it. Wednesday is the start day?

Maybe a sacrifice of time? When my children were small and my life wasn't such a mess I'd pray and read my Bible every day. I've been trying to do this for the past several years but something always gets in the way. I let it happen. A friend calls and I go out or I decide to go to the gym or I'm too tired ya da ya da ya da. Maybe this is it for me because this is something I need to continue even after Lent.

Bestofour #264675 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:16 PM
I grew up in a Baptist church, and they don't observe Ash Wednesday other than the regular Wednesday night service. The Methodist churches that I have gone to since marrying my husband have all had services on Ash Wednesday...including the crossing with ashes. Some people in the church will mention giving something up, but not all. The observances I have noticed from other people in the area is the fasting from all meat during this time. Except for fish on Friday. When I worked at McDonald's, we always hd to order more fish fillets during Lent! LOL We couldn't wait for it to be over!

Annette

gwhalh #264694 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:29 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
my brother in law is a Baptist minister and he says you're exactly right. Baptists don't observe the entire time but at my Baptist church there are teachings about it and services. I don't know if anyone actually sacrifices anything but I want too.

Bestofour #264695 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:37 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Well then do it ...I don't eat meat on fridays all year round.. Unless it is something special occasion.

We only have to fast for Lent, but I do it for 12 months.LOL I got used to that and never quit.....

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264697 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:41 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
dodge, when you say fast do you mean you don't eat or drink? For how many days?

Bestofour #264698 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:46 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
yes, fasting means to deny yourself the luxury.....Our church calls it fasting.
To each his own way.

I used to quit eating all goodies, and candies till Easter, but haven't do that much lately......
Not heavy candy eaters till holidays.......

Hubby loves having his deserts almost daily.. Like I baked a Yellow moist cake yesterday, and Home made Raspberry jam.......
We took cake an put the jam on top and cool whip, and how yummy.

PS it was a 79c mix..
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264699 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:48 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
so it's not total food, just junk food? A fast at our church means no food no nothing except water.

Bestofour #264700 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:49 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'd like to live next to you if you bake sweets a lot. I've got a sweet tooth.

Bestofour #264701 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:52 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Whats stoppin you ?

No we dont go along with the total fast of just water....For health reasons.
Too much sue sue sue .

b

thumbup

I notice professional women dont cook alot.....I notice when familys come here and the hubbys look for goodies to eat......They do most of the cooking.. Inlaws

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264708 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 04:59 PM
My mom is typing this for me as a favor. I will be back on Friday or Saturday to tell you more about it.

This year, for my Lenten Observance, I am going to practice the spiritual discipline of "Keeping Silence Before The Lord". For one hour a day, I will go to my room (or some other quiet place) and be quiet before the Lord.

My mom had to talk to my dad about this because of my little brothers. I share a room with DJ. DJ is 7. If I went to our room to Keep Silence, he would come in, jump on me, and ask me a million questions. So my mom talked to my dad. My dad said he would keep the little boys away from me each night from 7 to 8 PM.

It will be easier to do when I'm at my house with mom.

I have never tried to Keep Silence before. I will learn something.

MAXI

Do not send for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. -John Donne
MAXI #264711 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 05:07 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh dear Maxi. That's hard to do. I went with some friends one time to a church in Asheville, NC to meditate and I couldn't do it. I couldn't keep still and keep my mind still. These friends go to Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC and spend an entire weekend without talking. Not even at meals. They've invited me to go but I know I can't do it. I'm not a chatty person but I just can't quiet my mind for any length of time. That's a wonderful thing for you to do.

Bestofour #264715 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 05:19 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Maxi

Good luck on the quietness.....
Fool me could not even keep quiet at a very serious movie.
Friend and I went in , it was a religious movie, one of us giggled, an that started it......Oh my..

We had to walk out..
LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #264716 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 05:23 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
when I was you ng the catholics ion out school did not eat meat on ANY fridaY. The school even had fish in the cafeteria on fridays to accomodate. that was one of the differences in the catholic & lutheran religion. Now adays there are a lot o f Lutherans who give up something for lent.

We have begun talking about Lent and what it means already on the last few Sundays. This next Wednesday we will begin re-learning about it at the wednesday service.

________

MAXI #264720 Feb 23rd, 2009 at 05:26 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by MAXI
My mom is typing this for me as a favor. I will be back on Friday or Saturday to tell you more about it.

This year, for my Lenten Observance, I am going to practice the spiritual discipline of "Keeping Silence Before The Lord". For one hour a day, I will go to my room (or some other quiet place) and be quiet before the Lord.

My mom had to talk to my dad about this because of my little brothers. I share a room with DJ. DJ is 7. If I went to our room to Keep Silence, he would come in, jump on me, and ask me a million questions. So my mom talked to my dad. My dad said he would keep the little boys away from me each night from 7 to 8 PM.

It will be easier to do when I'm at my house with mom.

I have never tried to Keep Silence before. I will learn something.
MAXI

maxi I am very proud of you----that is a very good thing for you to do.--I will be thinking of you.

________

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,859
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image