Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#262 Mar 23rd, 2007 at 07:32 AM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
Can someone tell me why this is in house plants? Most insectivores live outside in bog gardens. Venus fly traps might be famous but they aren't real plants. Not like sarracenia, darlingtonia, nepenthes etc.

John

[Linked Image]
All of us are lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
webwise #322 Mar 23rd, 2007 at 08:09 AM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Bill. I wasn't really annoyed (well not very) but exotics are my thing and I was a bit afraid I would be classed with my Aunt Gladys with her aspidistra in the corner. LOL. Suppose you'll get a few teething problems.

John

[Linked Image]
webwise #342 Mar 23rd, 2007 at 08:21 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
The only carnivores that survive the climate here are the sundews. Carnivores are great terrarium plants which is why they ended in HP. but it makes no difference to me as long as people find the forum somewhere.

#887 Mar 23rd, 2007 at 02:27 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
webwise I keep my Napenthes inside during the winter and outside in spring untill it gets above 95 and 100 degrees and stays there then it comes back inside So it makes sense this should be in house plants as my neighbor keeps hers inside years round as a matter of fact I have stated a leave cutting off my picture plant and I'm not planning on taking it out untill it is aleast a year old and them I'll slowly take it out remember Texas gets Verrrryyyy hot and Dry so it serves our pitchers to keep inside certains times of the year!![Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #1429 Mar 23rd, 2007 at 11:44 PM
webwise Offline OP
OP Offline
Must be pretty difficult to have temperatures like that. I don't risk my nepenthes, I lift them in early November from the bog and put them under glass (with no heating) until April but everything else just stays outside all year. The Darlingtonias particularly have to have a cold spell for dormancy and sarracenias certainly don't mind a couple of months sleep.

John

[Linked Image]
webwise #2533 Mar 25th, 2007 at 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by webwise
Can someone tell me why this is in house plants? Most insectivores live outside in bog gardens. Venus fly traps might be famous but they aren't real plants. Not like sarracenia, darlingtonia, nepenthes etc.

What do you mean VFTs aren't real plants? Of coarses they are.

There ARE some carnivorous plants that HAVE to be inside before first frost, such as Sundews and Neps for instance.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
TomR #2707 Mar 25th, 2007 at 09:33 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by TomR
Originally Posted by webwise

What do you mean VFTs aren't real plants? Of coarses they are.

There ARE some carnivorous plants that HAVE to be inside before first frost, such as Sundews and Neps for instance.

Tom

Sooo Right Tom!![Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #8682 Mar 29th, 2007 at 08:47 PM
Of course the venues fly trap is a real plant ,it needs light,water,soil and don't forget love.You can still find them growing wild in the southern parts of the appalachian mountains.Some I've seen growing as far north as virginia.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image