Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25152 Apr 17th, 2007 at 07:42 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I live in Virginia, Doswell to be exact, zone 7a. I am currently getting my garden plot ready for this year and have decided to make it larger. One spot that will become a part of this garden is a little lower than the rest and when it rains it is wetter than the rest of the areas. I would like to find out what vegetables grow good in a damper ground. I grow to sell and also give a lot to the local churches for families in need so I want to utilize every spot. I am taking my time with getting the garden going due the cold weather we have had. Here is what I have decided to put in so far:
Sweet Peas - Little Marvel; Green Arrow
Bell peppers - Keystone
Watermelon - Florida Giant
Cantaloupe - Planters Jumbo; Hales Best Jumbo
Tomatoes - Large Cherry; Big Boy; Mortgage Lifter; Box Car Willie ; Beefsteak; Red Brandywine (not regular Brandywine, these are heirloom tomatoes); rose
Squash - Summer Golden Crookneck; Early Prolific Straightneck
Cucumber - National Pickling; Straight 8
lettuce
carrots

Thank you,
Crystal
Doswell, Va

Crystal L Gray
countrygirl804 #25156 Apr 17th, 2007 at 08:03 PM
Any melon will work just watch for side rot.I kind of turn mine until they get to big.Carrots might rot how wet does it get?Does your soil drain fast?By the way are you near Tazwell? My dad lives there.

littlelizard #25159 Apr 17th, 2007 at 08:08 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for the quick reply. Ummm, I am not sure where Tazwell is, heard of it, hubby would know but he is asleep, lol. It gets pretty wet but drains rather fast. I may try my melons since they like water anyway. I took two years of horticulture and feel so stupid, of course that was many, many years ago. I still do not know how to harden off my plants and what temperatures are safe for most of what I have to transplant. I grow a lot of mine in a greenhouse then transplant, always works for me.

Crystal L Gray
countrygirl804 #25170 Apr 17th, 2007 at 08:20 PM
I'm 3rd generation farm girl my family lost the farm to a highway project.Your peppers should get huge my did as long as your soil drains fast enough.I use to dig a hole about 2ft deep,fill it with water and time the drainage.Tazwell is west between Kentucky and Tennessee.Sorry that did not flow well I need to type so I make sense.I'll do better next time.

littlelizard #26185 Apr 19th, 2007 at 04:45 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi Countrygirl,

I live in Virginia too. Triangle Virginia. Where is Doswell? I'm near the coast.

We have a couple of other members from Virginia as well.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image