Print Thread
Rate Thread
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Has anyone had a good experience ordering a small bay tree on line? I'm interested in growing my own bay leaves, but none of the greenhouses around here have these in stock?

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Well, I got one down in Maryland and it has survived for an entire year. I put it out in the summer and bring it in for the winter. It has gotten bushier and I did pinch back the top.

Last edited by debnoel; Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
(I'm so sorry, but, when I first saw this title I thought it said BOY tree!! lol )

What is a bay tree? Is it what you pick bay leaves from for cooking?
Do you have a picture you could put here? Does it bloom?
Thanks, Shirl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm not sure. i wish i were more motivated, i'd just send you one. they grow wild on my property.

Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Don't have a photo handy-- but here's a site about Bay laurals: http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/laur_nob.cfm

Yes-- it is the tree (bush if you keep it trimmed) from which you can pluck bay leaves for cooking. If it's the tree I'm thinking of, it does have beautiful blooms-- sort of like Magnolia, I think.

By the way-- you're the first person I've seen on this forum from Cincy. "Hey" neighbor!

Last edited by Marica; Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added text

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
I would also like to have one of those bad boys,,,,, it is on my list to find for spring 09...When I find a good place I will let you know.

Found this forum by accident, searching for where to buy a Laurus Nobilis (sweet bay tree) for indoor gardening. Try Master Gardner Landscaping in Ft. Lauderdale Florida.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Definitely want one of those too. It's on my list.

[Linked Image]
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I found one!

A couple of Sundays ago we were wandering around the country side in south-central OH and as luck would have it, we stumbled upon Good seed Farms just outside of Peebles, OH. We were excited to see their selection of fruit trees and were talking with one of the employees about them. Somehow we got on to herbs and she mentioned that the rest of theirs were on sale. Walked into the little room and boom! Right in front of me four 12-15" bays AND a sign that said "Herbs $2.00". Gee. I only took the best two.

I can't believe I hadn't found this nursery before. If you're anywhere in the Cincinnati/Columbus area, it's definitely worth the drive out there. It's about 1.5hrs. (70 miles) from Cincinnati.

Here's there web site if you want more information:

http://www.goodseedfarm.com

[Linked Image]

What a nice tree. I would like to have the same. But I leave in Europe with -20 during the winter so I don't think it will survive. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image