OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
wavy

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
she loves to read, the math is like pulling teeth

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, it goes like that sometimes. Unless you really get wrapped up in math, it isn't much fun. But something that needs to be learned. You are obviously doing things right and you should get some kudos too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I always hated math and hate going through math again to help her. My oldest loved math took that from her dad and never needed help, so if and when she needs help I know where we are going

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
It is good to read of your little one's success at school, Belinda! Thanks for letting us know! You should be so proud.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I am so proud of her, she's worked so hard this year

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
hey there, everybody. just got home and hubby and the kids have dinner going. wha-hooo!
I always hated math too, but was good at it. they shoved every math class they could get thier hands on down my throat when I was in school. aren't you supposed to LIKE the things your good at???

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I doesn't always work that way. I quit higher math at trig and I have rarely used much of what I did learn. A little geometry helps when you are building or sewing something. But that is about it in my day to day life.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Isn't that the truth, I sure have never used what I learned. I sew alot and still don't need that much math

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
a lot of the higher math has more to do with prioritizing, sorting, and problem solving. at least that PART of the higher math I still use....but, I'm one of those over thinkers anyway. ha ha

Cricket

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My dad was in the Army and I went to 17 different schools. I can barely do math because I never got the basics. Thankfully in college I only had to take statistics and the metric system. I might have taken college algebra. Doesn't everyone have to take college algebra?

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I took college algebra, but then one year I decided to take the easy way out and take a math class called 'basic math'. oh boy, oh boy....I barely passed that one! ha ha

Cricket

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour
My dad was in the Army and I went to 17 different schools. I can barely do math because I never got the basics. Thankfully in college I only had to take statistics and the metric system. I might have taken college algebra. Doesn't everyone have to take college algebra?

Nope, we had to take a college math but I took Business Math. I was bad at that. lol Then again I'm TERRIBLE at math.

It's funny because we were just talking about this at moms yesterday. I took AP Algebra 2 in high school. I got an interim report one time with straight E's. E is tests, E in homework, E in quizzes. I just could NOT grasp that stuff for the life of me. Geometry I got C's and D's.

Now my dad and brother in England are math whizzes. I take after mom I guess because she's not a math person either. lol

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i couldn't pass a math class if i tried. but when i was in college, i did. it was a good thing i took them that long ago! lol

but even then, i only took what i had to. i didn't need anything higher than algebra and statistics, so that is all i took lol

fyi, carol jean's internet is out, so no carol until tomorrow. i did update her on bill and john though, and she got a letter from tamara. i'll let her fill y'all in on that when she gets on.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We all use algebra constantly in ordinary life... any time we "solve for x" regardless of what x happens to be. Finding out the unknown.

Geez this is a very busy week and I dislike being on the run so much. Only two more days and then TIME OFF!

On Saturday Maxi and I are going to AC Moore's. He wants some yarn for a project and I need some odds & ends as well. We'll probably be making candles soon, so I have to check our supplies for that.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you guys are probably used to all this freezing weather. but, let me tell you what happened this morning. we got good freeze last night. one where we are advised to leave our water dripping, bring pets inside, ect. we get these only a few times each winter.
anyway, my windshield was iced over. Ok, no prob...I know how to handle this! I turned on the hose to water down the ice to melt it. I could hear the water coming down the hose but before it got to the very end it froze up solid. I have NEVER seen this happen. ok, still no problem. I see a couple of water bottles in my back seat, I'll just pour them on there. I begin to pour that water on my windshield and it comes out like a slushie! Ha ha. like crushed ice!.... and sticks to the ice that is already there! ha ha.
Man oh man! now that is COLD for us!

Cricket

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
You are silly, Cricket my friend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cricket, i feel your pain. but, i will tell you, my answer for ice on the windshield is a plastic/teflon spatula. the egg turner kind. they work great for an ice scraper and won't hurt your windshield! and, the longer handle makes them easy to use. i just flip them over so the top is on bottom to give myself some leverage.

my porch was iced over this morning. first time in 5 years it has had ice. steps yes, porch no.

merme, i was going to ask about bill tonight, but i didn't get you. and generally catch up. sorry i missed you. i'll call another day kissie

we are supposed to get that cold again tonight rspb it's a balmy 31* right now nervous <--- a blue with cold shivering jiffymouse

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Just don't throw a pot of hot water on it, Cricket

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
...I don't know why they kept telling me in school I would need it when I grew up...I still haven't grown up yet, no plans on it...
cindy, i don't plan to grow up either, i'm not sure why all these kids keep calling me momma. i can't possibly be old enough to have kids touched

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I only needed my math skills to help my kids through their homework. That did help keep them kinda sharp all these years.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
a blue with cold shivering jiffymouse

Poor Miss Jiffy! Warm yourself up my friend. Life is too short to be cold.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've got the heating pad on the toes, and blankets on all of me. thank goodness for my laptop!

and you are right merme, life is way to short to be cold.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I didn't start growing up until age 39 when I had Maxi. One day he was acting like SUCH a baby (he was just a few months old) and I was too. I said "ONE of us has got to be the grown up around here! Oh, I guess it must be me!" lol So, instant maturity.

I still like to whine though.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Just don't throw a pot of hot water on it, Cricket

Oh, don't fear! I know the rules! thumbup no hot water on the windshield, don't try and turn water off and drain pipes cause you'll always forget one somewhere and some pipe will burst.
but COME ON!!! a water bottle that has been enclosed in a vehicle...does not freeze where I come from! haha

Cricket

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
I only needed my math skills to help my kids through their homework. That did help keep them kinda sharp all these years.
i always made scott do that (although, when he was at sea and/or deployed, i did it) i helped with the english. we traded kitchen table homework time. thumbup

i think his time at sea was why i passed math in college lol

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
i've got the heating pad on the toes, and blankets on all of me.

That ought to do it!

When I'm very terribly cold, though, a hot drink is the only remedy. Have you anything hot to drink?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I finished the 18 x 18 bright red pillow I made for Maxi. I had a very hard time finding a good combination of colors to offset that red. Several things I tried just looked too garish. Finally I settled on dark kelly green, pale blue and soft navy blue. That edging tones down the red, thank goodness!

Tonight I am going to start on the next pillow in the series. This one will be covered in loops and will be round. A round fuzzy red pillow. The kid will love it!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
i always made scott do that (although, when he was at sea and/or deployed, i did it) i helped with the english. we traded kitchen table homework time. thumbup

i think his time at sea was why i passed math in college lol

Double quoting. John is better at math than I and a teacher to boot. But Jonni hated taking her math problems to him. It would mean an hour or so 'math lecture'. Even after he retired he still taught.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Congrats on one down, Merme. Sounds like you are going to town on creativity lately. and you managed not to mention 'crochet' once in that post too. Thereby not bringing Cindy or Sheri in to tease you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Merme
i've got the heating pad on the toes, and blankets on all of me.

That ought to do it!

When I'm very terribly cold, though, a hot drink is the only remedy. Have you anything hot to drink?

Merme
i have finished my beverages for the night, other than ice water. and yes, i am southern enough that even when i'm cold, i have ice in my water. lol

although, during the day, if i get cold, hot chocolate is exactly what is called for thumbup

tina, i don't blame jonni. i think that is why scott got the math and i got the english. if he helped with english every question ended in a grammar lesson. no fun! uhuhh

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
g'night folks snooz i'm outta here! see y'all tomorrow.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm outta here too.
I've enjoyed yacking with you guys, as always.
I hear the weekend calling my name!

Last edited by cricket; Jan 14th, 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Cricket

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I just spent nearly 40 minutes untangling a brand new skein of yarn that apparently got snarled in the winding machine & was sold that way! What a mess!

Now I am ready to press some coffee and go sit on the couch to crochet & watch TV before bed.

Safe away home O my palies and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I just got back from the hospital. We paid the ransom and John is home. He is feeling a lot better now. Thank you all for letting me share the burden a little.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
...I don't know why they kept telling me in school I would need it when I grew up...I still haven't grown up yet, no plans on it...
cindy, i don't plan to grow up either,

You guys BETTER grow up because this school nurse is sick of wiping your runny noses. nono

Last edited by Bestofour; Jan 15th, 2009 at 05:50 AM. Reason: can't spell

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Boy Tina, that was a late hospital release wasn't it. I remember patients complaining because they couldn't rest due to the commotion that goes on 24-7 at the hospital. I always told them if they're well enough to complain about rest then they should go home cuz "it ain't gonna happen here." I think the hospital beds are so uncomfortable. You'd think they could do better.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning everybody.

I slept in a bit today, glad for my snug bed in this terribly cold weather. The coffee is good and the eggs & toast are cooking.

Another busy day underfoot.

How are y'all?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I haven't figured an easy way to make hospital beds more comfortable and still keep them easier to function in and around and sanitize them between patients too. When I do figure it out, I will be one rich person.
Yes it was a late release. Almost 9. But I think he had a pretty lazy nurse and had to wait for the 8 o'clock shift to come in to get something done.
So he is having a good night's sleep in his own hospital bed with a more comfy mattress and padding where ever he needs it. And it vibrates too.
I got up a bit early this morning. I will get the kids to school and then take him for his follow up stuff today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning, Merme. Your breakfast sounds good but it is a little early for me. I will just stick to some plain hot coffee.
It is to be in the upper 80's here today and my bones are enjoying it tremendously.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image