Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20484 Apr 12th, 2007 at 06:15 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
saw the female of my mystery bird pair again---I have been to whatbird.com--no luck!! I do not think the pair can be finches, they are too large. The female has a some red makings on her head, but the male has a bright almost shiny red head & red on his throat/upper breast. Their bodys are brown with the female's markings being a bit like a finch. They eat from my wild bird mix feeder as well as from my thistle feeder. Not picky. My camera is not nearly the quality of the one Thornius has--so no use trying that. If I ever find out what they are I will post it.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
How about the pine grosbeak? They look like a finch only larger!

Try looking here!

Or here!

Good luck and keep us posted! Sure hope you find out what they are!

THINK THEY SOUND LIKE HOUSE OR PURPLE FINCHES. MALES WILL BE IN BREEDING PLUMAGE AND BE VERY SHOWY!

THESE ARE LOVELY BIRDS.

BIRDWATHCER IN CHICAGO

teria #21056 Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:37 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Plantqueen: You may have come the closest--except that the female has a touch of red on her head--and the male had no white on his breast (that I noticed)---But perhpas they did not read the quidelines (LOL)

teria: I also have a pair or 2 of the house finches--they are a bit smaller that the pair I am describing. I think the Purple finch is smaller also. Thanks to you both. :wink:

Last edited by JunieGirl; Apr 13th, 2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: trying to find spell check

________

Hey-

Still thinking about your bird. Try looking specifically at the bill and the eyes next time you see it. This may help. I once had a devil of a time identifying a wood thrush once and it turned out to be a juvenile making the ID rough. Can't wait to find out what they are

Happy Birdwatching

Happy Days,
Teria
teria #21634 Apr 13th, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Teria:--I sure will check on the bills & eyes the next time I see them--and will let you know when I do--
Thanks again for all your help!!-

________

JunieGirl --

herbalyn #22751 Apr 14th, 2007 at 07:24 PM
JunieGirl--
Don't know how I keep double posting. Just got a split keyboard and must hit a key that posts for me.

Have you looked at the Common Redpoll? It's in the finch family. The like to ruffle their feathers so look larger than the house/purple finch. You describe their foraging habits to a T. A tip off to the redpoll is a black splotch from the bottom of the red spot on the head, along the beak and under the chin.

herbalyn #22835 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:43 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
herbalyn: Thanks for your help, but
I have just come back from researching the Redpoll-to be honest the female fits fairly well, but not the male-the males size is, I would say, between that of a sparrow & junco, has a brown body and it is as if he has a darkish red silky hood on--I thought at first the sun was shining off of him.--I have not seen them in a few days--they seem just to show up when the weather turns colder and it has been rainy & a bit warmer the last few days.

You know I have thought for years that in order for a bird to land on a person's feeder, they should first have a name tag around their neck!!

________

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I searched my 'finches & sparrows of the great lakes and eastern north america' book and besides whats been suggested I found Cassins Finch:Google pictures of cassins finch
Could that be him?Maybe the other was a younger male and not neccesarily a female with red on her head. He isnt a common visitor.

or the redcrossbill or white winged crossbill?
crossbills

Wrennie #25019 Apr 17th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
wrennie I think we just about beat this one to death---I am thinking you are very likely right in your assessment of my "female" being a young male---and it may be that I just did not get a good enough look,although I thought I did---I think they are gone with the cold weather--I have not seen either of them in several days---once again thanks to you all.

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image