Rate Thread
#247374 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 08:02 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Epsom salts, is more correctly known as hydrated Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4 7H20). In order for photosynthesis to occur, light energy from the sun needs to be converted into chemical energy which the plant can use (adenosine tri-phosphate: ATP, and NADPH) The chlorophyll, which is essential to photosynthesis, contains two part: a porphyrin ring and a phytol tail. The phytol tail is simply a chain of carbons, with hydrogens (also called a hydrocarbon tail). The porphyrin ring is a hydrocarbon chain in a ring structure with alternating single and double bonds between the carbons. These rings occur naturally in nature (in chlorophyll, in heme groups, in hemeglobin), but can be synthesized by 'organic synthesis.' In the case of chlorophyll, there is a magnesium atom in the middle of the ring.

Magnesium is a trace element, can can affect the 'green-ess' of plants. Sulfur is also a trace element. Magnesium can affect the amount of chlorophyll, and sulfur can help increase the effectiveness of the intake of certain nutrients (such as nitrogen, phosphorus).

The golden rule to anything is: everything is good in moderation; this also applies to any type of fertilizer. Generally, the most common recipe is 1 tablespoon per foot of growth on rose bushes. I, myself, have always scattered handfuls into the dirt and lawn and then watered it in. All my plants have been fine. I have no concrete evidence to say when too much is too much, but it seems that Epsom salts are very soluble in water. On houseplants, I also use solution form, which is 2 tablespoons in a gallon. However, do keep in mind: magnesium and sulfur are trace elemtents. They are not needed in large amounts (unlike N-P-K) but they are needed. Some scientific experiments done by various universities have concluded that epsom salts only show a visible effect on large intensive plantings.

CONCLUSION: There is no real answer as to whether or not epsom salts are beneficial or for too much, due to insufficent research. But for fact, the two elements making Epsom salt (magnesium and sulfur) are needed trace elements. The best thing is always to experiment yourself, because everyone has different climate, soils, and environments!

Epsom salts also make a great foot bath dissolved in warm/hot water after a long day of gardening grin

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #248405 Dec 9th, 2008 at 03:19 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Nice job Kennyso

Sulfur can also prevent or cure infections can this also be part of it's purpose in the plant?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image