Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#246604 Nov 29th, 2008 at 05:06 PM
xFishx Offline OP
OP Offline
I started growing a mango seed earlier this year and then about a week or 2 ago i notice some of the leaf tips are browning. It is mainly happening to the older leaves. Does anyone know what is going on?? Any help will be great! thanks

Here is a link to a few pictures
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21dlg0j&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4k91s4&s=4

xFishx #246608 Nov 29th, 2008 at 05:19 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Look into anthracnose and the things that will take care of this disease. It looks like it could be something like this. There are dormant sprays available.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #246610 Nov 29th, 2008 at 05:22 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And Welcome!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #246737 Nov 30th, 2008 at 01:31 AM
Sounds like anthracnose as jonni says- I don't bother to plant them here now because of that disease, which in a hot humid climate also affects red cedars. It's cheaper to buy a mango from the store when you feel like one than to spray for it.
It would help to know where you are; ie, what climate you are growing mangos in.

xFishx Offline OP
OP Offline
It is growing indoors next to a west facing window. Anthracnose? Will my whole tree die because of this? Iv'e also been using a fungicide on it and cutting the dead areas off the leaves. One other thing to mention is that the soil does take a while to dry out. Is there a way i can make the soil dry out faster if thats the problem?

xFishx #247005 Nov 30th, 2008 at 10:21 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cutting the dead areas off the leaves is a good thing. Is there drainage in the pots they are in? If it drains too slow and the roots don't get adequate air that could be a problem even if not the main problem. Try re-potting in lighter soil maybe.
When you asked your original question I looked the plant up in my books. The anthracnose is the first, main thing that jumped out at me. It seems to be a problem with mangos. There are fixes that start with removing and getting rid of the affected leaves and limbs. And then it is a spoor driven disease so it needs sprays to help kill the fungi involved. Please look up the disease and see if it looks like what you might have and the types of sprays you need to use.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #247222 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 08:12 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
i notice some of the leaf tips are browning.

It is a cultural problem. Don't sweat it.

browning of the tips of the leaves could be caused by fertilizer burn or salt burn [excess salt from the water].

*cut down fertilizer application. [If you need to apply fertilizer in the future, do so after the leaching excess salt;]

**leach excess salt from the soil at least 2-3 times a year. scrape off any crystals that formed on the surface of the soil before leaching.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image