Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
............in the arm. You don't realize exactly how much you use an arm, hand, leg, etc, until you can't. As some of you know i hurt and re-hurt my arm. So I am trying not to use it. Even pouring a drink from a gallon bottle is a chore. I used to just grab the jug, now i take off the top with my right hand, then again with my right i have to pour, i used to open with right pour with left done.
Outside, the veggie garden is good and full of foliage, good thing. If I weeded all of that with one hand I'd have a popeye arm and a wimpy arm on the left.
Harvesting isn't way too bad either. I bring a wicker basket with a handle and hang it on my ouchy arm, and put what I pick in there. If i dont move it and 'lock' it in place it doesnt hurt.

Anyone else have boo-boo's they've worked around?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
That's a clever idea with the wicker basket, Wren.

I dispise carrying anything in my arms or hands (I always have!) although I don't mind a load on my back. So, I am forever and always using one of Maxi's wagons that I can pull or push along.

Are you able to get up and down off the ground using only one hand or do you try to avoid kneeling that low for now?

I hope others take your suggestion and post here too about accomplishments they've done in spite of even temporary limitations. I remember both Pots 'N Plants and Barleychown had badly damamaged toes not too long ago but they still achieved quite a bit....

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Nope, i dont avoid it. Getting down is easy. lol To get up I usually roll to my knees then stand. But I've done that a long time. So the arm isnt really an issue with it. If I'm on the hill sitting, i just lean forward and gravity gives me a hand up.

Last edited by Wrennie; Aug 28th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I wondered about that because lots of people need two hands to push up with. Maxi just learned how to do it with only one this past year. He would still go over with his butt in the air and both hands and both feet down to get up, like a very young child.

Glad you can get up easily!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
lol Well, i didn't exactly say it was easy !! lol

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
lol lol lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have a neurological pain syndrome that limits my abilities to garden, but I love it so (although I'm purely an amatuer). I'm often right in the garden with a small trowel or claw as the only tools I can use. My kids do a lot, digging pruning, etc. My DH helps on big projects, but grass is more his thing.

The biggest problem I have is the nut grass, bermuda, and I'm sure several other varieties that grow in my garden beds here, as well as, spurge. We hand pull all of it but if someone has ideas on how to reduce the repeat growth of this persistant and vigorus weed, I'd surely appreciate it.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
other than covering it up, or very CAREFULLY using a contact herbicide, I have no ides on the grasses.--have you thought of using landscapers plastic, over the garden,--and cutting holes where you wish to put a plant??? why

I have developed a kind of disability--due to my last surgeries.. I can no longer lift a lot of weight, which entails pulling, dragging, lugging, etc. and in order to bend i must go over from the top of my legs, keeping my back straight--that or bend at my knees and go straight down. (try doing that if you have a few extra pounds on your stomach)
I use one of those "grabbers". the best invention ever made. I would be lost without it.--I can just see how NOT well my gardening is going to go next year--

ah well, such is life....

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Grasses, it really depends on what the grass is growing in amongst. If I have grass growing in a larger patch of ivy or ice plant, I use a grass-killing-only herbiside called fusilade. It will not kill the broad leaved plants but will wipe out the grass. But If i plant something in amongst that ivy with strap or sword shaped leaves like agapanthus or iris then I have to be careful. The fusilade will also take those with them.
Nut grass is a bane to have begin growing in any garden. I use roundup but carefully even if I have to paint it on the leaves. And it needs to be kept up to actually get rid of it. Over and over and over and ......

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
3k Posts
3k Posts
Junie Girl, I'm curious about that 'grabber' you mentioned.

What is that?

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Carly
Junie Girl, I'm curious about that 'grabber' you mentioned.

What is that?

Maybe something like a Grabber/PickUp Tool?

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, that is what a "Grabber" is. There are many many more varieties than what that link depicts.

They can be purchased at a Medical Supply place or a Pharmacy which has a durable medical equipment dept. (Durable equipment is such things a commodes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc).

They generally cost about $20. If you've had an injury your doc can write an Rx and your insurance should cover it. Many places which do PT will be sure to give you one.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My watering hose is never long enough and I am not as strong as I used to be for carrying buckets of water. So I fill a large garbage can on wheels, fill it 1/3 full, then pull it to where I need water. It's easier than using a wheelbarrow (no lifting) and as long as I don't fill it too much it's really quite easy. I use it instead of wagons, wheel barrows, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image