Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#236304 Oct 1st, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,
I've been gardening for a very long time but this year (in the spring crop and now early fall crop also) my radishes have been a great disappointment, nice plants but nada/nothing to eat, why?

Thank you

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
my spring radishes did the same thing. someone told me it was too hot for them, that I should have planted them earlier in the season?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
Cricket,

I'll make and keep notes of the temp. for next spring and fall crops but I am sure it was not even warm when plating was done in early spring. Thanks!

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I've read on here that many people don't have luck with radishes. I don't know that we've ever decided just why that is. They grow pretty good for me.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
how much organic matter do you have in yours sheri? they seem simple enough - they mature in like a month, right? I've only tried them once, so I have no real theories on why so many people have prob's with them. I'm gonna set out some more seeds in a another month or so here.

Cricket

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
I've read on here that many people don't have luck with radishes. I don't know that we've ever decided just why that is. They grow pretty good for me.

A few details would be nice like soil type,PH, how much sun/organic matter is in there and please don't forget the seed co. and seed type.

Thank you

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys..the more I look/read about this problem the more I find about "TOO MUCH FERT." That would be a problem for my "super charged plot" but will keep looking and will report!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
my radishes have been in the ground for a couple of weeks. I mixed some compost in with the soil, like a handful per about a 6" square, then a light sprinkling of compost on top. I hope I didn't put too much. now you have me worried.

Cricket

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
Best of luck to you.
Try to keep P.H. from 6.0 to 7.0 and no fisrt or second numbers, high on the third (Potassium). I can't wait for spring!:<)

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

could it be they were not thinned out enough?? The ONE year I had good results with radishes, was the year that I got out at the proper time to thin them out---

If I remember I will call my dad and ask him about radishes, he always has a good crop.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Did you plant different varieties for spring and fall? I planted two this fall, but only the variety, Sparkler, is producing. It's the one that was labeled specifically for fall planting.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

If I remember I will call my dad and ask him about radishes, he always has a good crop.

I just got off the phone with my father. he said many things.

1) His friend who always has excellent luck with his radishes plants by what the almanac says.--going by the moons cycle.

2) make sure the soil is at least 1 quarter sand--making sure to mix the sand in well.

3) Use compost over fertilizer---a good compost being the best option.

Good luck

________

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Well, I don't do ph or moons or fertilizer. I'm a simple gal. if it won't grow well for me with what I have, tilled up and some compost added, I'll just grow something else. this is only my second time to try radishs, so we shall see.

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Be sure to let us know how your fair, ok

________

I've grown radish many times. The main reason you get tops and no bottoms is overcrowding. When planted in a bed go for at least 4" seperation; rows, on the other hand, should have at least 3".

Over fertilizing can also cause bottomless radishes. As can lack of full sun. I've even seen drought create problems.

I've grown them in nothing but clay; sand has nothing to do with it.

Planting too late in the spring can also be a no no. I haven't tried Fall varieties. Marica may have the right idea about yours being bred for spring.

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
Some good points here!

I will try a bit more on the spacing part next spring and also will try to find spring and fall seeds too.

Thank you Dirtclod

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
we had some hard long rain the past few days. some of my little radishes were almost washed up. I had to kinda prop them up with more soil. I got to looking at them and wondering.....if I should transplant them deeper in the ground? they are about 3 inches tall. the stem is red but where the stem goes into the soil is white. I'm thinking the red part of the stem should be in the ground so the raddish part can develop?

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
What can it hurt to try??? If you are in doubt, try it with half of your current crop.

________

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
In some cases (like with lettuce) I belive you will loose about a week before you are up to where you were before the transplant, this is a factor I deal with all the time in late spring and fall.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image