Print Thread
Rate Thread
#240585 Oct 26th, 2008 at 01:36 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Slinky was one of a few feral cats who have come up on our second story deck to eat each day for several years now. He first came with Fraidy, who sadly passed away while pregnant 1 1/2 years ago under a bush in my next door neighbor's yard.

Well early this afternoon, I was digging up tubers and elephant ear bulbs, when the neighbor 2 houses down came up on me so quietly that she scared the bejeebers out of me. Now mind you... this neighbor is one of the most unfriendly on the street. She has a son Amy's age, and a daughter 2 years younger. She does not acknowledge anyone on the block and has not said hello since the first year they moved in - 9 years ago. But there she was in my yard...

She asked if we have a grey cat. Well that's like asking if the sky is blue!
With Brian's 2 grey cats here now, and Slinky our feral cat, I began to get scared. And how would she know that - our cats are all indoor cats, except for Slinky, but how would she know that we even feed him? She told me that her husband found a dead grey cat on the far side of their house this morning. I had not seen Slinky around for a few days, so I assumed it was him, but she couldn't tell me if it had a collar on or not... that could be one of our other cats - who never get out, but still...

Too nervous to go see by myself, I made Don come, and he had just sat down to watch the beginning of the JETS game. He has season tickets, but couldn't find anyone to go with him today, so he was looking forward to at least watching the game on tv.

It was definitely Slinky tears, and there were no fight marks on him at all, so we have no idea what could have happened! He was a young cat - maybe 5 years old if that? Don got a box to carry him to our yard, and has been digging a hole on and off all afternoon to bury him - there are many boulders and large roots behind our shed.

Slinky never lost that feral fear when he came to eat - some times he would hiss at me when I was about to put fresh food out for him, and I would put the cup down in the kitchen and try a few minutes later. All was well and he'd get his food. Over this past summer, he actually relaxed enough for me to water my plants on the deck if he was out there - usually in a corner so he could watch my every move - but at least he didn't go tearing off the deck as he used to.

Here are all the pictures I have of Slinky!
He will be missed a great deal by all of us here. boohoo

One of the first days he came to eat on our deck.
[Linked Image]

Relaxing a bit without running away.
[Linked Image]

More pictures next post...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #240586 Oct 26th, 2008 at 01:38 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
awww im so sorry... he was a gorgeous cat and you were doing such a nice thing feeding him... poor thing...

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #240591 Oct 26th, 2008 at 01:49 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
awwwww lynne kissie i'm sorry. i know how much you love slinky. i hope your heart heals soon.

toposh #240594 Oct 26th, 2008 at 01:54 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Awwwwwwwwww Lynne, I'm sooooooo sorry,, You were very kind to make sure he was fed all this time,, and he was confident you'd be there to feed him,, ,,,,,, He sure was a pretty kitty,, I love the soft grey color of his coat, and the white splash of color on his chest,, You are awesome to provide for him,, and sadly I'm glad the neighbor came and asked you so you wouldn't be worried about where tears he was,,,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
toposh #240595 Oct 26th, 2008 at 01:56 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So sorry about Slinky, Lynne-- tears--I guess there are a lot of things that could have gone wrong.

he could of gotten into some poison of some kind, or eaten a mouse that had eaten some poison---but at any rate, I am glad you wete able to find hom.,--He deserved a proper burial.

I am so sorry aobut Don's missing his game but at least he was home when he was needed. :wink:

Did you get your yard work done???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
#240600 Oct 26th, 2008 at 02:14 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks everyone. kissie

I just went out with Don to bury him - Don called up to ask, so I went. tears

Thanks for finding us, Slinky!
[Linked Image]

In the cathouse that Don built for Slinky and Fraidy to rest in during winter -
out of the cold and snow.
[Linked Image]

Coincidentally, Don had just finished cleaning out the cathouse before he went in to watch the game. Wonder who will use it now? There is another cat that has been coming by on a few occassions to eat - he is a soft buttery color, and very clean looking, so we don't know if he actually belongs to someone or not. I named him Butterscotch, but Brian shortened it to Butters - after some cartoon character that I don't know?

Slinky hiding in one of my plants a year ago.
[Linked Image]

Diane and Carol - you are exactly right kissie - I am very glad that the neighbor came to me, so I would not wonder about him, as I did about Fraidy for a year til our other neighbor told us he had found her. Closure is definitely very helpful.

And yes, I am very grateful that Don came out to do this - he did manage to watch the end of the game and the JETS won - YEA!

I also did get a lot accomplished outside while thinking of Slinky - I had only intended to be outside for an hour or so, but once again it turned into 3 1/2 - it needed to be done, and was good therapy today. Yea for gardening! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #240605 Oct 26th, 2008 at 02:39 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep--yea for gardening !!! it is theraputic on so many levels !!! clap

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #240695 Oct 26th, 2008 at 05:36 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Very sorry to hear about Slinky! tears

#240704 Oct 26th, 2008 at 05:52 PM
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Lynn I am so sorry for your losing Slinky he was beautiful. He looked just like a cat Billie rescued in the 70's she was Russian Blue and just a beautiful as Slinky. Her name was Hussy (Billie's Idea) very independent and a great hunter. I know how you heart breaks I have been there many times. Glad you fed her and she loved you for that even while being leery of people. Hope your heart heals soon as another kitty just around the corner is probably looking for you as Slinky probably spread the word kinda like Hobo's use to do. Maybe it will let you pet it this time around.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
Jimmy V #240782 Oct 26th, 2008 at 07:41 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Jessica and Jimmy.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Jimmy - I know that you know exactly how I feel right now. kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jimmy V #240792 Oct 26th, 2008 at 07:48 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy V
Lynn I am so sorry for your losing Slinky he was beautiful. He looked just like a cat Billie rescued in the 70's she was Russian Blue . I know how you heart breaks I have been there many times. Glad you fed her and she loved you for that even while being leery of people. Hope your heart heals soon as another kitty just around the corner is probably looking for you as Slinky probably spread the word kinda like Hobo's use to do. Maybe it will let you pet it this time around.

Russian Blue I was trying to think of that word earlier,,,
Jimmy's right ya know,,,,,,,,, There is another Slinky needing you and it will find you,, kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #242221 Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Lynne, I just saw this and my heart goes out to you! I am so sorry but you made a great difference in Slinky's life while he was here. You will meet again on the Rainbow Bridge! kissie

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #242771 Nov 6th, 2008 at 11:52 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Lynne, I have just read your post. I am very sorry, It is a dreadful experience losing such a lovely kitty, I am sure that Slinky was very happy with you, and glad to share your lives.
I know too that words seem empty when your hurting...But you will survive. I am thinking and praying for you. Take care Lynne.

[Linked Image]
glenda #243461 Nov 10th, 2008 at 08:34 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Oh my worst nightmare. I am so sorry!
Having four, two that come and go, and are fixed, I worry about them.. especially my little Francis J.
Hugs~ You were good to him! :ding:

Last edited by Ditchy; Nov 10th, 2008 at 08:35 PM.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image