Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I've never had a problem with bugs on my tomato plants.

I bought some tomato plants this year instead of starting from seed and I've noticed I have some aphids and I've also seen some white flys. I need to know what to spray on my plants and where to get it or how to make it and if I can spray it on my herbs and lettuce once it comes up also.

5k Posts
5k Posts
You could buy some native ladybugs. They eat LOTS of aphids. Even lay their babies near them, so the babies have something to eat. Plus, ladybugs are natural. I'm not sure about sprays.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Hey I need some too! Where do I get ladybugs???

Johnna in Oklahoma
OP Offline
I was thinking of ladybugs but if your neighbors have more aphids than you they will go there instead.

I just read something about using earthworm castings to get rid of whiteflies. To get a bag of them and put them in the soil around your plant. I wonder if this also works for aphids?

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
You also need to let the top layer
of the soil to dry out, because for the white flies,
thats' where they lay their nests/eggs and if it's
moist, they thrive.. dry they do no like...

Aphids, also are attracked to a plant because of fresh new green growth and will continue to draw them to the plant..

~~~>Question, are you fertilizing your plants with liquid ferts'? If yes, what kind, how much, and when??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
I bought 1500 ladybugs for 2 purposes, 1 being an aphid problem last year, and the second being it was my daughter's birthday last weekend and it had a ladybug theme. All the kids went home with a little jar of ladybugs and instructions on how/when/where to release them. We then released the remaining en masse in a moist, dandelion patch near my garden. The kids love watching them crawl out and picking them up. Buglogical Control Systems is where I got mine from. I only had 5 dead, after keeping them in the fridge for 10 days. I've heard that some Home Depots and lowe's carry them--but none in my immediate area have even heard of someone selling them.

If you are going to buy them online be sure to check out garden watchdog because a lot of places have not fulfilled their orders to other ladybug purchasers.

Last edited by LandOfOz; Apr 3rd, 2007 at 12:29 PM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
OP Offline
I'm using miracle grow every two weeks. I just use a tablespoon with a gallon of water or probably more and feed all my plants with it.

So has no one heard of the earthworm castings for getting rid of whiteflies? I saw it on a random garden forum site but they were talking about using it around their Hibiscus. I guess the castings make the plant leaves taste different and the whiteflies don't like it and leave the plant alone. I'm wondering if that would not be a good idea for a vegetable plant or what. I may have to find that other garden forum again and maybe ask over there.

I gave my tomato plants a good spray to get the aphids off. There weren't many but I know I will have more. I was told that having plants like marigolds, chives, onions, garlic and that sort around will keep them away. I don't know how true that is.

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
To be sincerely honest,
I have never seen a aphid on my tomatoes...
So, I am not sure what to say?

Do you happen to have a picture of these
bugs??

But if it was me..
I would lay off the Miracle Grow for a bit..
*that is a green growth stimulant*

Do you have any thing in the soil as well?
Like a bagged soil from MG too or some fert's
already put in the soil?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Now that you mention it I'm not positive they are aphids but they are little green bugs with wings is all I can say.

I'll have to get a picture of these bugs later...seems they are only there when it's warmer outside. I never see any in the mornings.

I've never had a problem with bugs on my tomatoes either til now. We've moved and there is some kind of climbing plant up the other side of our fence so maybe they are coming from there.

Umm..I think the soil I got was umm..huh not too sure now..I wasn't the one that bought it. *L* I think it may have had chicken manure it now that I think about it...that is bound to attract bugs right? Never used soil with chicken manure in it before...surprised I didn't think of it before.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
Now that you mention it I'm not positive they are aphids but they are little green bugs with wings is all I can say.

Tomatoes attract a number of insects. Bear in mind that most insects are not harmful to a plant. I get these little insects on mine when the days are warm. I think they are attracted to the surface moisture on the hairs of the tomato. They don't seem to be doing any damage so i leave them alone. If it's aphids, they will all be clustered together on the new growth of the plants which will wilt from their attentions. If no damage is being done i suggest you just monitor the insects. If it is aphids, a jet of water from the hose will remove them. Any lingerers just squish 'em. Do the hose thing in the morning so the plants aren't wet overnight.

The secret is the soil.
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Yeah, I was wonderin' if you got any
pictures of them yet??
That helps too..

How big were the bugs???

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
You know I haven't seen any bugs on my tomato plants since I gave them a good spray with the hose.

If I do find more I'll get a picture of them.

I bought worm castings and I'm going to mix them in the soil around my plants. I'm hoping this works well for getting rid of whiteflies if in fact they are still around.

I will chime in with Longy to take a wait and see for any damage. Use google images for pics of aphid clusters. If aphids are found to be present and tomato tips are still tender, hold your hand behind the upper tip for support before spraying with water. Aphids are a food source for several benefical insects. When aphids appear, beneficials aren't far behind. If one sprays or uses anything other than water on aphids they are unwittingly harming the beneficials as well.

Miracle Grow is a very poor choice for fertilizer (shh don't tell stock holders and management I said this). Liquid fertilizer is usually to high in nitrogen and salts. When used constantly both build in the soil affecting its structure and possibly killing off good insects. Using higher doses of nitrogen then a plant needs causes excessive weak growth which in turn attracts aphid. Do your garden a favor and look into Espoma's organic 'Tone' brand fertilizers. 'Tone' along with another product 'Rich Earth' have done wonders for my gardens.
www.espoma.com
Google for Rich Earth's website

OP Offline
herbalyn..thanks for the tip with the fertilizer. I've been hearing Miracle Grow isn't a good choice but I know nothing about fertilizers so I keep buying it anyway.

Looks like the local OSH sells Espoma..so looks like I'll have to take a little trip to their garden center.

I'm not sure I have aphids after all. The bugs I have been noticing now on my plant are little black flying bugs and sometimes they are not even on the plant but on the soil. The soil had chicken manure in it so I'm wondering if this could be why I have bugs. I tried taking pictures of these bugs but they are nothing but a tiny blurry dot on my camera so. *shrug*

JustAGirl --
Was fresh chicken manure added to your soil? Was it a bag of aged chicken manure? Or a bag of growing medium made up of several materials?

Bagged soil products are sterilized at such high temps that good and bad soil critters are destroyed in the process. Even true for bagged "organic labeled" products". That's why compost you can make is superior to any commerical product.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image