Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#240059 Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:16 PM
OP Offline
I have a problem with some smelly Boston Ferns. I brought them in after we had a frost, the were a little wilted and turning a kind of purple color. I let them sit for a while and then I watered them. That is when the odor occurred. They smelled so bad I had to put them in an usused room. They are starting to bounce back a little color wise, although I will have to trim some stuff that died. But... the smell is awfull! So bad I'm thinking of letting them die a death outside the house. They kind of smell like rotten sea water. Any suggestions?
Deb

pinkzinia #240083 Oct 24th, 2008 at 04:16 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
could it be the soil that smells and not the plant?
I'd put a fan on them to dry out the dirt. you may have a fungus or something growing in the soil, which may end up killing your plants. the fan would help it dry out and when it's nice and dry maybe add just a bit of dish liquid to the water next time you water them. that might kill the fungus...or at least help with the odor. mmmmmm........you might could even add a bit of chopped or crushed garlic to the soil. garlic kills some types of fungus.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #240088 Oct 24th, 2008 at 04:25 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Thats what I was going to say. I have brought plants in from outside and it was the soil smell
I simply repotted them in fresh sterile potting soil. Which I do anyway when they have been out all summer.
I know it may not be the best thing, but I have found that also spraying them with a natural insecticidal soap before bringing them in keep any unwanted guests out as well. grin

[Linked Image]
pinkzinia #401141 Dec 1st, 2018 at 05:14 AM
I brought my ferns in from outside as well; I brought in 3 ferns not at the same time. Two ferns, I brought in just in time. The other larger plant, I left outside in a makeshift green house to last until spring. I decided to bring in the larger fern. Some of the leaves had browned. I cut those back. But, the plant smelled very bad. So, I took the plant out of pot, put it in a plastic grocery bag. I sprayed a 3% hydrogen peroxide and tap water mixture on the plant top and soil at the sides and top since hydrogen peroxide deters microbes/disinfectant. I also placed a garlic bulb on the side. The smell left. no odor of any kind. Time lapse...it has been about 4 weeks; there is no smell; the garlic glove is growing out the side where the roots are....I even see little ferns growing as well.

pinkzinia #401362 Dec 27th, 2018 at 08:32 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
So you've ended up with garlic and ferns. Good for you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image