Rate Thread
#237882 Oct 10th, 2008 at 02:27 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
not sure if the confederate rose is actually in the rose family or not...I guess it is?
anyway, I got a couple of dead flower heads from a friends confederate rose bush. can it be propagated that way, or do you need a cutting?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #237931 Oct 10th, 2008 at 06:42 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
confederate rose is in the hibiscus family i think. you can grow it from seeds or cuttings. i see some as i drive to work every day, they are so nice!

#237934 Oct 10th, 2008 at 06:49 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
you can grow them either way! i havnt tried from seeds their such a gorgeous plant! they get huge! i have one i planted back in feb from a cutting its about 4/12 5 ft high! with tons of pink florwers... be warned they get huge in a hurry so dont plant them close to your house

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #237949 Oct 10th, 2008 at 07:22 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
and the flowers turn colors thumbup

#237982 Oct 11th, 2008 at 07:13 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
yea, a lady down the street has one. she's hardly ever outside and when I do see her I forget to ask what kind of 'tree' she has. I notice too that when I leave in the morning it has some white and some pink flowers but when I come home in the evening they are all pink.
then friday i was at my friends house and she had the same 'tree'. it suddenly dawned on me the it was a confederate rose and not a tree at all! I had no idea they got that big. she let me snag some seed pods. I guess they are pretty hardy too. she said both of hers were blown completly over in the storm. they uprighted them and you'd never know it now they had been through anything.
should I plant the seeds in the fall or wait till spring?
I'm SO excited!

Cricket

cricket #237984 Oct 11th, 2008 at 07:18 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd plant some now, and if they don't make it, some in the spring. i do a lot of that!

#237990 Oct 11th, 2008 at 07:52 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I'll do that! clap

Cricket

cricket #238051 Oct 11th, 2008 at 02:54 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
what you could also do is plant your seeds now Im sure your neibor shed let you take some cuttings from hers if not do it at night lol... but you can start them in some pots inside during the winter... that way if the seeds dont work youll have a back up... take a cutting from i guess semi hard wood? Im not sure but when i got mne I cut it from a branch that want that old but it had just a thin layer of the grey brown bark?... the other green wood one i took took longer to start growing and rooting and i left it at my old house so idk what happned to it... but lol im grtitng sidetracked... do both lol! they make great priavcy bushes!

mine are white in the morning afternon soft pink by 3 a nice dark pink by asround 7:30 their completely deep purple and ready to be plucked off...

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image