Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232144 Sep 4th, 2008 at 05:53 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
........started Christmas shopping at all yet? Or am I totally alone? lol

I counted up my list the other day and now I'm up to 182 presents. rolz egad haha

It IS September afterall.......only 4 months to go. neenee

I tell you something now though, even if you don't go crazy like I do it's great to start this early.....then you don't have as much money to spend later or as much worrying. thumbup

BTW, the first Black Friday ad was released on the net the other day. clap Ace Hardware....still, it's better than nothing, and it's way early.

#232146 Sep 4th, 2008 at 06:01 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
uhuhh lol only you loz lol kissie

#232171 Sep 4th, 2008 at 07:27 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I saw Halloween items creeping onto the shelves this week.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #232175 Sep 4th, 2008 at 08:42 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
They've been on the shelves at my store for a few weeks already. lol

And yep Jiffy, I guess only me? haha

#232177 Sep 4th, 2008 at 08:53 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
You're a BRAT! rspb

Bill #232178 Sep 4th, 2008 at 08:59 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
BUT............you know how I am........I get this way EVERY single year. lol

Brat or not, you love me anyway right? grin wavy thumbup

#232180 Sep 4th, 2008 at 08:59 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
Yeah... I still love you kissie

Bill #232181 Sep 4th, 2008 at 09:11 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Awwwwwwwww....... clap kissie :ding:

I can't help it...I'm an 11 year old trapped in a 32 year old body. lol I get too excited this time of year.....I just love to give. (and give, and give, and give, and give, and give.) haha If I had to pick between getting stuff and giving stuff it would be giving every time.

Dad keeps saying, oh people won't be buying as much this year because of the economy.....and I was like...well I will be. Just gotta know how to shop and start way early.

#232208 Sep 5th, 2008 at 07:19 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
haha I should have known you would have that many presents already!! I have a few but have not done too much Christmas shopping yet. I had to get school shopping out of the way first! lol

#232212 Sep 5th, 2008 at 08:29 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I usually start in Oct and nov, way before thanksgiving. I hate the crowds

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #232218 Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:43 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
You know me Jess. haha Mom says I'm just like my Nana. She loves to shop and to give too! :wink: I must get it from her.

I just don't limit myself to shopping certain months, if I see something in March that speaks to me for someone and it's on sale I'll buy it and put it back in my present closet. thumbup

I just ordered 3 things today. One for Bill and 2 for Cindy. grin

And yesterday I placed an order in Cabela's bargain cave for Mark. thumbup They have some good deals in there.

Belinda....I hate crowds too....I think that's another reason I like to shop early. Then when I see all of those panicked people out the week before Christmas I can just relax knowing mine are all bought and wrapped.

I started wrapping the other day. egad Takes a long time to do that much, so I do a few a day. Although I'm really waiting for the printed gift boxes to come out. Someone asked me a while back if I get the boxes in the store, but usually they don't have them when I shop, since I shop so early.

#232219 Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:51 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I sent you an e-mail Loz! thumbup

You started wrapping already? shock I wait till the last minute to do that! lol

#232220 Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:54 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Well, I have to ya know? When you get near the 200 present mark I'd be wrapping myself to death if I waited too long. lol

Plus as Christmas draws closer I have to help mom wrap all of her presents, all but my own of course...I draw the line somewhere. lol

Going to check my email. wavy

#232229 Sep 5th, 2008 at 02:06 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I start in July, usually the weekend after my birthday, and i try to get a couple gifts each week. by thanksgiving i should be done and wrapped. then i can just concentrate on decorating the house. cuz i am way into that. it evolves and morphs until christmas eve sometimes and there's a fairsize box of decorations to donate to the shelters by mid december. things i got that i am tired of or that didn't really work in as i wanted and i always make a brand new arrangement on the dining table. one year i decorated the ceiling fan above the dining table with white pointsettias, white and green mini lights and red chilis hanging down, sounds bizarre, but it was really cool, cuz we were having an open house christmas party that year and the "arrangement" was there, but up out of the way of the food spread on the table, which was, yep, southwest cuisine. homemade tamales and everything. oh yum, now i am making myself hongry
LOL lol

patunia #232231 Sep 5th, 2008 at 03:40 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Loz, I LOVE Ace Hardware. Hardware stores have great stuff and Ace usually has some of the best.

I haven't bought anything yet but I've been thinking about it for a couple of months. I too love Christmas. We bought a new stereo system last week because as Johnny said "Sheri needs to be able to listen to her Christmas music."

AND!!!!!! This year I will be off work 2 weeks around Christmas.[Linked Image]

Bestofour #232338 Sep 6th, 2008 at 08:59 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol well they are putting out Christmas stuff already here in the stores.

Still not in the mood yet to even think about shopping yet..but soon.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #232396 Sep 6th, 2008 at 04:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I went to my nursery yesterday and the entire front half inside is all decorated Christmas trees..... ridicules,, as that's where all the houseplants were sold,,,,,,, there aren't any house plants in that entire nursery now,, what are they thinking?? touched

anyway,, won't be a Christmas here this year, no point in shopping . Nice that people still can have family at christmas, cherish it always.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #232399 Sep 6th, 2008 at 04:22 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh Diane. Please celebrate Christmas and hanukkah here with all of us. We love you.

Bestofour #232423 Sep 6th, 2008 at 06:15 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Diane, I hate that you feel that way.....but I know where you're coming from. kissie My wish is for you to have your family at Christmas. :ding:

Maybe this would be a good year to do something special. Like volunteering for Toys for Tots. That's always a feel good thing to do.

I know I asked about shopping, but you know--I just like to shop and give....but I never forget the real reason for Christmas.....first and foremost that's what I am really celebrating. Not gifts, and food, and stuff.......I just hate for people to think I'm only about stuff like that.

#232444 Sep 6th, 2008 at 08:18 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
They've been on the shelves at my store for a few weeks already. lol

And yep Jiffy, I guess only me? haha

Loz, while I will never even attempt to claim to be anywhere near as good as you--i too begin christmas shopping early. Partly so I too can give all that I would like and partly so I can figure what to give. We draw names in my family--anyone married or out of college is included in it. all else are considered children and they get gifts from every one. ON Rod's side we all just buy for my MIL.

And since i love to give---my kids and their spouses are considered 'children' in my house---I buy gifts (so I can see them open them) and then give a check. They are either here christmas morning, OR I am with them.

((Just today Emily was sitting on my couch 'marking' up a mail order catalog, just like a little kid.--I was loving it.))

at this time I only have a large clear plastic container with say 10-15 small gifts in it.--

However, The internet and the catalogs are going to be my friend this year.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #232451 Sep 6th, 2008 at 09:20 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
thumbup When mom is gone I do a LOT of my internet shopping. It becomes my "mom substitute". lol

This week alone I'm waiting on oh.....7-8 shipments. haha You have a good start going though, that's all it takes is a start. thumbup

It's so nice that you are the way you are with your children. Some of us children never grow up, no matter how old we are. I know I get like a 10 year old on Christmas morning. clap It always feels so magical.

Btw, I'm glad you are posting a bit more now. kissie

#232620 Sep 7th, 2008 at 08:47 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
OMG, I went to the Dollar General tonight and was confronted with an aisle of Christmas stuff---right next to the clearance garden stuff. SAD!!!!!!!! I hate seeing the garden stuff go.......and it's just too early for Christmas stuff yet.

Got 7 movies for my Dad the other day....ordered them online from FYE. Spent $27 on them. They had 20 percent off and free shipping. thumbup

Got him Hostel, Unbreakable, Air Speed, The Sentinel, The 6th Day, Final Destination 3, and Under Suspicion.

Not bad for what I paid I thought. thumbup Just less than $4 each.

Now I'm waiting on 4 mp3 players to come.

And 3 blah, blah blahs......one for Bill. And a blah blah for Cindy, and a blankety blank for Cindy. lol

I I have a Cabela's shipment coming for Mark. grin

#232627 Sep 8th, 2008 at 02:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
OMG, .......and it's just too early for Christmas stuff yet.

that's what we keep saying but you just keep on shopping anyway haha

Sunflowers #232676 Sep 8th, 2008 at 03:42 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Loz, I like to give presents too. It's so much fun to surprise someone or see the expression on someones face. I think that's the spirit of Christmas.

Bestofour #232684 Sep 8th, 2008 at 04:14 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Ya, you should see the expression on my face when I give myself a big box of 'Turtles' chocolates Christmas morning haha

Sunflowers #232685 Sep 8th, 2008 at 04:15 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I LOVE turtles.

Bestofour #232802 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:04 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Do you know what we do? Well not mom, she thinks we're nuts. touched It started with Dad....then I started, then Mark followed...Last year my sister joined in for the first time. She always used to laugh at us, so I was tickled she joined in.

We buy ourselves a present and wrap it. To you, from you. Dad cracks me up because he honestly forgets what he bought for himself most years....so it's always a mystery. lol

Cabela's shipment is out for delivery! clap Mp3 players have shipped. grin

You know Sheri.....that is what I like the most....I'm not trying to look showy by buying a lot...I just honestly love to make people happy. I know last year mom told me how much she loved everything I bought her a zillion times. That is what I love. That she loved all the stuff. thumbup I put a lot of thought into most of the things I buy.....

I make lists of ideas of presents so I'm not just randomly grabbing things.

This year I think I'm going to ask Mark for one of the keyboards I saw on HSN or QVC....it has light up keys that teach you to play...and you can download new songs to it....I've ALWAYS wanted to learn how to play the piano.

#232804 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:17 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
That would be cool Loz! I always wanted to learn too!!

I think I should start getting myself a Christmas present too! lol James always gets me good gifts but every year I tell him something I want...most of the time it is just something small....and he will go out and buy expensive jewelry and whatever else but he never gets me the small thing I asked for. Then I will bring it up later and he will say....you never told me you wanted that! rolz It drives me crazy! Also...we all have stockings at our house. I fill all the stockings but my own. I figure James can do that but he never does. Last year Tristen said....I guess Santa thought you were bad mom because he didn't put anything in your stocking. I gave James the dirtiest look you will ever see. lol I guess I have to fill my own!

#232805 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:18 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Oh yeah...our Wii is out for delivery today Loz! clap I can't wait to try it out! haha

#232806 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:31 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I wish I were there trying it out with you. lol

Yeah usually I buy myself something small. One year it was just a candle. Last year it was a Jeff Gordon coffeepot I found on Boscovs for $5! grin

This year I'm going to make everyone a stocking and fill it with stuff from the Dollar Tree.....just little things.... thumbup I sure hope someone fills my stocking. lol Hopefully James fills yours this year......maybe he learned his lesson? lol

Mark always wants me to give him a list...so I do....I put as much stuff on it as I can think of, that way I don't know what he'll get. And he actually buys stuff not on the list and does a pretty good job at it. thumbup

Marks mom has me tell her stuff I want from the Black Friday papers. grin I love that! Because I get stuff I really want. Last year she got me a deep fryer I wanted and a DVD player for our bedroom and a few other things. She always spoils us too much.

#232809 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:35 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Jessica, fill your own stocking this year and leave James's empty thumbup lol

Sunflowers #232814 Sep 9th, 2008 at 09:48 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
lol That is what I told him I was going to do Tam! haha He thought it was funny but I didn't! Tristen really believed that there was a reason Santa didn't put anything in my stocking! I wanted to say....no it's that your dad is too dumb to do it! haha Of course I wouldn't say that but I wanted to! lol The thing is that they hang there all season and I talk about having to get stocking stuffers but I guess nothing still clicks in his brain when I say that! lol

#232825 Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:49 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Yeah. Leave it empty. I dare ya! haha

#232835 Sep 9th, 2008 at 01:45 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I should! I really might do that!!

#232885 Sep 10th, 2008 at 02:49 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You should have just emptied James wallet in it later that day and said look Tristen, Santa hid money in the toe of it for me thumbup lol

Kids notice everything.

I am really thinking of doing gift cards this year for Christmas, not sure yet....

Sunflowers #232904 Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:50 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I always do some gift cards. There are a few people that I never know what to get but I know what their favorite stores or restaurants are. Like Tristen's godparents....I never know what to get them but I know they like to go to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings once in a while so I always get them a gift card to there. why

#232905 Sep 10th, 2008 at 07:51 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I should have emptied his wallet into there Tam! You are giving me lots of good ideas!!!! haha haha

#232909 Sep 10th, 2008 at 08:12 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
We always get a few gift cards. Marks family (adults) do a name swap and we never know what to buy them. Most are older and have everything.

Last year Marks cousin had my name and gave me a gift card and apologized for just picking up a gift card. I was thrilled. I'd rather have a gift card so I can shop the sales after Christmas. grin

Tam does have some GREAT ideas.

I got both of Cindy's presents now. The one I got today is perfect. grin

#232931 Sep 10th, 2008 at 09:49 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by loz

Tam does have some GREAT ideas.

grin

I try haha

Now here my ideas aren't as appreciated. I'll come up with something and DH will say, 'Where in the world would you have thought of doing such a thing, you're losing it?'.

Sunflowers #232938 Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:42 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
haha haha James tells me that on a regular basis! I guess he thinks I am nuts sometimes! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image