Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231652 Aug 31st, 2008 at 01:27 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I have a bad case of aphids in my greenhouse on my sweet peppers. My tomatoes are in the same greenhouse and I'm wondering if the aphids with move over onto the tomatoes as well?

I have some pictures posted in the problems with pests forum if you would like to see what's happening in my greenhouse.

Last edited by Rosepetal; Aug 31st, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added more info'

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I don't know if anyone directly answered this question about tomatoes and aphids. I do skim read rather quickly sometimes. but, in my experience the apids do like the pepppers better but they will move to tomatoes.
I think at this point, your right on about trying to move the peppers out...then blast with water. is it getting too cold for them to just be outside where you are?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
I think they will. I had aphids start on a sweet potato this season. I sprayed with rotenone pyrethrins and they went away pretty fast. I was impressed with how well it worked on them. After that I brought any lady bug I found and stuck them over there. Since then I have seen a lot of lady bugs in the garden which is great, but it scares me that they are eating aphids I don't know about. You can buy lady bugs to put in your greenhouse if you don't have any.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I missed the aphid-tomato-pepper part, too.

Some aphid species are host-specific, others are more general-- they don't care who they suck. I don't know about the specific species on your peppers, but a good, careful look at the tomatoes now couldn't hurt. Look especially under the leaves of new growth. Aphids can also attack old leaves, but you're more likely to see them on new leaves and stem tissue first.

Also, lady bugs are not the only insects that eat aphids. Spiders, lacewings, praying mantis, some stink bugs, and others eat aphids.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
I've bought a garlic spray that I'm going to try next year. To see if it really works. Organic and hopefully will cut down on pests. It is called Garlic Barrier. JD

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Just a quick update, I had to destroy all my peppers for the aphids had taken all the blooms and nothing was growing any more. So far my tomatoes are doing great. I did give my greenhouse a good cleaning so maybe I did get rid of the aphids.

I have lots of flowers in my greenhouse yet too and none of them were touched by aphids either. I will get so garlic spray for next year too. Where did you buy yours? elkhwc I'll have to remember that name.

[Linked Image]

Just www.garlicbarrier.com I think. You can do a search also. I picked it because some cotton farmers south of us are using it and claim it works. I won't be able to comment till next year. Got it too late this year. JD

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm very interested and will try it next year as well. Thanks lots for letting me know about this.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image