Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#227984 Aug 12th, 2008 at 02:36 PM
OP Offline
I am making a braided onion rope for the state fair. It says to braid without any twine or string. But how do you tie it off for hanging without twine? Any experience with that? I was thinking of braiding it and then tying another onion green around the top like a pony tail holder. I don't know if it will stand though. I am going to work on it this weekend and bring it in next Wednesday.

Tamara from Minnesota #228010 Aug 12th, 2008 at 03:31 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You have to braid it in a 'fish tail' braid with 4 strings instead of three for a normal braid. You then weave the top ends into the briad as you bend them over...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #228011 Aug 12th, 2008 at 03:32 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.k. I realize that makes no sense if you've never seen it done before. sorry, gonna try find a link for you to follow. give me a bit...

Sunflowers #228611 Aug 15th, 2008 at 05:27 PM
OP Offline
Ooohhhhh! I get what you are saying about bending back the top into the braid. I hope my onion tops are long enough. I have many still growing so they are strong. But does it have to be 4? I am so good at french braiding (used to have to braid horse manes real quick every day). The fishtails I have done have basically had two. Is that what you mean? Two sides adding as you go? Why doesn't three work? why
Also do you think I should do one color of onions in the braid or alternate red, yellow and white? Will that show more diversity or just look like I didn't have enough of one color? I have tons to choose from.
Thanks so much by the way! clap

Tamara from Minnesota #228668 Aug 16th, 2008 at 05:32 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, fish tail with two adding as you go. Not sure on the three...my grandparents used the fish tail method.

Not sure on the colours...

Sunflowers #228669 Aug 16th, 2008 at 05:34 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Fish tailing braids them in like this........

http://www.hansinternational.com/image173.gif

Sunflowers #230987 Aug 27th, 2008 at 06:34 PM
OP Offline
My onion braid for the fair didn't turn out and unraveled and I didn't show it. I braided lots of braids of my storage onions and they are clipped on a drying rack (pea fences made into a table). I think they are really hard to braid if they are big.
As for the rest of the fair, so far I haven't done as well as I hoped. Pretty much about 3 people win every class. The same names are in each winning list. And some people obviously just grow the varieties that there are classes for in the fair. It is tougher than I thought it would be. So I didn't place and felt I should have in: leeks, big carrots, little carrots and purple beans. I came in fourth in classes with 4-5 entries in: melons, watermelons, french green beans. And I came in fourth amongst alot of people in heirloom tomatoes and was shocked! Then for onions I won the red onion class and came in 3rd in yellow ones (I had huge onions but the skins weren't as thick and shiny). So I was really excited about winning the red onion class. Those fair old timers must have been surprised this newbie won something.
So Saturday I have registered for the garden collection and mini garden collection and also various peppers and chinese cabbage. My cabbage have been attacked recently by long brown striped bugs and so they are a loss. But if I have decent stuff with a chance of winning I will bring the collections. Since they throw the stuff out it isn't worth entering unless you might win or place. They would probably have more competitors if they didn't throw the stuff out. I am mad I lost 6 perfectly good leeks and didn't even place, for instance!
If anyone shows at their state fair please pass on tips! Please! There is some sort of wax some people were spraying on their tomatoes to make them shiny. I don't know about stuff like that.

Tamara from Minnesota #231054 Aug 28th, 2008 at 06:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Sorry about the onion braid but congrats on the red onion winning.

I am shocked they throw away the produce, geez a local food bank would take it.

Not fully sure on the wax thing, I know there is a product you can buy. You use just a drop...I'm gonna try check it out..

Sunflowers #231055 Aug 28th, 2008 at 06:18 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmm. I just googled 'Exhibiting vegetables for fairs'...and it said that fruit and veggies must not be waxed or oiled. Do they have a rule list for you to follow, most fairs do.

Sunflowers #231697 Aug 31st, 2008 at 07:02 PM
OP Offline
There were no rules like that. But since the stuff is composted and not eaten maybe they allow the wax. It is definitely not frowned upon. It seems like you can't win tomatoes or peppers without it. Only one competitor on Saturday was friendly to me. Everyone else has a pretty competitive spirit and talk a little among the regulars but wouldn't even acknowledge me. It got uncomfortable when I went to wash stuff in the sink and a man about my age was really jerky.

I entered 3 classes of hot peppers and garden collection of 8 things and miniature collection of 8 things. I came in second in the miniature (baby) class which was nice. It was just a for fun class. I didn't place at all in the peppers and came in 5th out of 5 in the garden collection. tears I just wish there were judges notes with the cards because I have no idea what was wrong with my stuff. I did see some beautiful hot peppers that won but as for the other entries that placed I didn't see any difference and I really want to learn more so next year I am less of a newbie.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image