Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#230909 Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:11 AM
sage58 Offline OP
OP Offline

ok, so my husband went and planted potatoes between my tomatoes and eggplant. now i know, not good. I really don't want to abandon that field for 3 years. what can i grow there? and for how many feet is the soil fouled? the tomatoes i'd planted 5 weeks earlier got nasty and i was only able to salvage about 15 off 4 plants. the eggplants closest to the patch got big, but no fruit. i have late tomatoes growing in the same lane about 10 ft away. are they done for?
thanks for any help; i'm new here.

Kimberlee & Sam
Planting veggies of the same family close together or in the same place each season just increases the chances of the pests and disease those plants get. For instance potato beetles like potatoes, eggplant and tomatoes. Otherwise it isn't that big of a deal. What exactly happened to the tomatoes that got nasty?

sage58 Offline OP
OP Offline
they look like they have all kinds of fungus. the leaves were fine, but 2 wks after he put in the potatoes, they started to have pinholes, then black spots that turned yellow and tore thru, then black & gray and dry. the fruit has almost no flavor, is about 1/3 of last year's weight, and has taken on some wierd forms. then, within 12 weeks, all but 1 has died. how far-reaching is this damage, i wonder, and for how long? the guide here says 3 years, but i thought it said i could grow beans there.

Kimberlee & Sam
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm glad I read this. We always plant our tomatoes and potatoes in the same field and so far no trouble but I don't want to take the risk.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
tomatoes companion plants are chives, onion, parsley and asparagus.

and personnally I don't think you have to abandon your field for three years. you haven't done any permanant damage. try planting some companion plants near the tomatoes next year. marigolds.....your in alabama???, can you still plant marigolds seeds now where you are? they'll die after the first killing freeze but if you can get them to grow a while they put nutrients back into the soil and are great plants for equalling out the bug population. (good bug- bad bug thing)

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I do have marigolds in my garden. I heard that the bugs will go to them rather than the plants. Maybe that's why I don't have bugs.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
thumbup

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
I don't think companion plants will help the blight or whatever it is. Spray lots of fungus spray and get rid of the bad plants before it spreads. A disease like that may cause the fruit to be bland; I'm not sure. I've never had problems with disease on my potatoes so I am not sure if they get stuff like that as easy as tomatoes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image